Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Global’s future — News, Rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-23, 03:22 PM

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,120 Posts

And there it is...

Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount Global have held talks about a potential merger of the two media companies, Variety has confirmed.

Reps for Paramount Global and WBD declined to comment.

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav had a meeting with Paramount Global CEO Bob Bakish on Tuesday in New York City to discuss a possible merger, sources said. Axios first reported the talks.

Zaslav also has spoken to Shari Redstone, whose National Amusements owns a controlling stake in Paramount Global, about a possible combination of the comapnies.

Redstone has been in talks to sell her shares in NAI, according to multiple reports. Redstone discussed a sale of her NAI stake with Skydance Media CEO David Ellison, who has teamed with private-equity firm RedBird Capital, and she separately met with departing Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick about a possible deal, the Journal reported. Meanwhile, Paramount Global management has considered laying off more than 1,000 staffers in early 2024 to cut costs, per the Journal.
https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/wa...ks-1235847958/
Old 12-20-23, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Warner Bros. Discovery, Paramount Global in Merger Talks

Then merge with Universal and bought out by Disney to create ClusterFuck Entertainment, International!
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (12-22-23)
Old 12-20-23, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,966 Likes on 1,523 Posts

The one thing I wouldn't ever have imagined happening is Cartoon Network and Nick sharing the same roof, but under Zaslav that childhood dream probably means one getting shuttered or something worse. Ugh.
Old 12-20-23, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Combining would create a company with $58B in debt. Oooof

Last edited by Deftones; 12-20-23 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-20-23, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,219 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Combining would crate a company with $58B in debt. Oooof
A few more billion and Elon Musk will want to buy it.
The following 3 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
cultshock (01-31-24), Dan1boy (01-31-24), tommyp007 (12-20-23)
Old 12-20-23, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,966 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Combining would crate a company with $58B in debt. Oooof
We haven't seen this kind of synergy since Sears and Kmart!

All joking aside, it's amazing how much value Paramount has lost in such a short amount of time.
Old 12-20-23, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Most people think that movie studios are unlimited ATM machines. But, last I checked, Paramount/CBS was crippled with debt and their stock price has dropped significantly. Even Top Gun Maverick wasn't going to save them from being in the red.

I don't know about this potential merger. And it's going to cost thousands of jobs if it does happen.
Old 12-20-23, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 486 Posts

Whatever happened to the rumours that Universal was looking to buy Warner Bros?
Old 12-21-23, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Is any studio making money anymore? Studios without streaming services to support, maybe?
Old 12-21-23, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 933 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Is any studio making money anymore? Studios without streaming services to support, maybe?
That's my thought. Feels like we're one debtor pulling out away from the whole media complex crashing to the ground.
Old 12-22-23, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Great, whatever. So what's in it FOR ME?
Alan Smithee (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I think Netflix is the only one making money (1.7 billion dollars in profit in Q3 of 2023). ESPN makes some money for Disney, but the parks are probably what really helps to keep them afloat right now. The best way they made money was through the multi-channel cable bundles and that's came to an end. They spend a lot of money on marketing the streaming services to combat subscriber churn.
Old 12-22-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Great, whatever. So what's in it FOR ME?
Another app. Maybe. If they don't combine existing apps.
Old 12-22-23, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 831 Likes on 550 Posts

I can’t wait for Ethan Hunt to join the DCEU.
Old 12-22-23, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 819 Likes on 691 Posts

Each studio keeps hoping Apple or Amazon will bail them out of debt by buying them out. This is a last resort in a desperate bid for a relevant streaming service. Hollywood studios are slow, lumbering beasts these days. The easy money days are over as foreign markets are less lucrative and audiences aren't always buying what Hollywood is selling.

If it has reached this stage, both studios are in bad shape.
Old 01-30-24, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Some of you may or may not know that Paramount Global, who owns Paramount pictures, CBS and some other Viacom entities is crippled with debt and has been rumored to be on the market for a possible sale awhile now.

Paramount + while getting better in my opinion has been operating in the red since launch.

Thought it would be better to compile everything together here.

David Ellison, who owns Skydance made an offer last week: https://deadline.com/2024/01/skydanc...al-1235804196/

and Byron Allen’s corporation has made an offer.

and of course there were the Paramount and WBD merger talks rumor from December: https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/wa...ks-1235847958/

and Paramount is expected to announce massive layoffs any day now: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/25/para...s-layoffs.html

What a mess. Top Gun Maverick apparently couldn’t save this company.

Old 01-30-24, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 623 Likes on 460 Posts
Re: Paramount Global’s future — News, Rumors

Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day when the Byron Allen from the last season or two of TV's REAL PEOPLE back in the 80's would be an entertainment mogul. His TV shows over the last twenty years or more — and they are legion — are living definition of disposable filler.
Old 01-31-24, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,236 Likes on 4,258 Posts

I didn’t know any of that. I do kind of remember him from Real People. What are his shows?
Old 01-31-24, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I didn’t know any of that. I do kind of remember him from Real People. What are his shows?
He’s had something like eight of those half hour ‘Judge’ shows (America’s Judge with Judge Ross - 500+ episodes, Justice For All with Judge Cristina - 200+ episodes, and so on) that are all still running as far as I can tell, and all of which use nobody actors to portray supposedly real life cases.

All of his stuff is syndicated, and fills in weak time slots super cheap.

Over the holidays at relatives’ houses I caught late-night reruns of something he hosted/created several years ago called Comics Unleashed, on which he holds court over four real comics and sets each one up to do a bit. Sometimes the bits were funny, but Allen was so ridiculous running out and pumping his fists at the opener to an audience that probably didn’t know who he was, and lobbing dumb questions that each comic just happened to have a pre-written anecdote about from their routines.

That show led to the game show Funny You Should Ask, which was kind of a modern take on the old Match Game show, but with often fading comedians instead of has-been actors and sitcom regulars of the 70’s.

He’s produced barely-seen gossip talk shows (Gossip Queens - 68 episodes), car talk shows (Cars TV - 187 episodes), celebrity ass-kiss shows (Entertainers With Byron Allen - 174 episodes [this was his first production, filmed on the cheap at press junkets]), sports shows (like The American Athlete - 154 episodes), pet shows (like Pets TV - 45 episodes), travel shows (MyDestination TV - 139 episodes) and on and on. He’s literally been a factory for the blandest daytime and super-late-night bargain knockoff programming for over 20 years. Some stuff he hosts, but most of it he produces.

And most people have probably never seen any of it unless they’re channel hopping at the worst hours (like me, apparently), and more likely on cable/satellite because that’s where there’s been a drain of viewers to streaming, so those channels are desperate for cheap content to pad the schedules in between all of the better known reality shit they’re playing in perpetuity nowadays.

This MOR fodder eventually got him into movies, where his company Entertainment Studios eventually produced poorly-received fare like FRIEND REQUEST, HURRICANE HEIST, ARCTIC DOGS, REPLICAS, and the surprisingly not-bad HOSTILES and both 47 METERS DOWN movies.

I guess all of this, plus the various networks and stations he’s acquired over the years, has made him a billionaire with enough leverage to buy Paramount. Go figure. (I think he previously tried to buy ABC, or something like that).

Sarah Purcell and the late Skip Stephenson would undoubtedly be proud that it all began here. Or something:

Last edited by Brian T; 01-31-24 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts

Skydance is in a position to buy out Paramount?! Wow, that is certainly surprising.
IBJoel (01-31-24)
Old 01-31-24, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Feels like eventually all these streaming services are going to merge into a single entity and become.... cable.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rob V:
Brian T (01-31-24), Dan1boy (01-31-24), Maxflier (01-31-24), PhantomStranger (01-31-24)
Old 01-31-24, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw an interview with Allen (unrelated to this) in which he talked about all of his network and station acquisitions in the age of streaming and how the big driver for him was still advertising, and how companies needed outlets to hawk their products (which goes without saying, obviously). And seeing how so many streamers have been forced to put ad breaks into the mix, it’s not hard to see that the once-touted utopia of endless ad-free, subscriber-funded content just wasn’t sustainable, and has indeed become cable, an arena Allen, among others, has been flooding with low-cost ad-filled ‘content’ for decades.
Old 01-31-24, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I saw an interview with Allen (unrelated to this) in which he talked about all of his network and station acquisitions in the age of streaming and how the big driver for him was still advertising, and how companies needed outlets to hawk their products (which goes without saying, obviously). And seeing how so many streamers have been forced to put ad breaks into the mix, it’s not hard to see that the once-touted utopia of endless ad-free, subscriber-funded content just wasn’t sustainable, and has indeed become cable, an arena Allen, among others, has been flooding with low-cost ad-filled ‘content’ for decades.
I don't think DVDTalk had so much of an issue with ads, but FlyerTalk had a TON of ad complaints and they always asked us why we couldn't set up an ad-free premium membership. It would have needed to be priced at $30/month
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Brian T (02-13-24), story (01-31-24)
Old 01-31-24, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 819 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Feels like eventually all these streaming services are going to merge into a single entity and become.... cable.
I suspect the eventual destination is for the few remaining surviving streaming services...to merge with telecommunication/tech entities. Verizon Disney, that sort of thing. It's all up to whether the Federal Government will allow that possibility.
Old 01-31-24, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I suspect the eventual destination is for the few remaining surviving streaming services...to merge with telecommunication/tech entities. Verizon Disney, that sort of thing. It's all up to whether the Federal Government will allow that possibility.
We had that with ATT and WB and look how that turned out...
The following 2 users liked this post by Deftones:
Brian T (01-31-24), IBJoel (01-31-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.