Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mickey's Mouse Trap (2024) -- Steamboat Willie Mickey horror movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-02-24, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,741 Likes on 2,684 Posts

"It’s Alex's 21st birthday, but she’s stuck at the amusement arcade on a late shift so her friends decide to surprise her, but a masked killer dressed as Mickey Mouse decides to play a game of his own with them which she must survive."

Just like Pooh Blood and Honey last year. Steamboat Willie is now Public Domain. So now more of this cheap horror crap.

Old 01-02-24, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,117 Posts
Re: Mickey's Mouse Trap (2024) -- Steamboat Willie Mickey horror movie

Looks like they stole a couple lines directly from Scream too.
Old 01-02-24, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

Made me realize just how close we are to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman being public domain.
Old 01-02-24, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

That reminds me... I need to start polishing up my Superman: Serial Rapist script.

I already have the tagline: "Lois will never recognize him without the glasses!"
Old 01-02-24, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,355 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Made me realize just how close we are to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman being public domain.
Also in another ten years or so, the golden age/Earth 2 versions of The Flash, Green Lantern, etc. plus Marvel's Submariner, original Human Torch and Captain America (all first published between 1939-1940).

Plus, there will be Donald Duck in 2029, and Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig and Daffy Duck within a few years after that. Plus a bunch more, this is only beginning!

Old 01-02-24, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1,086 Likes on 632 Posts

It's astonishing to me that the default idea people with zero ideas come up with always seems to be "let's make it ┴WiS┴Ǝd"
Old 01-02-24, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I'm surprised by a few things: that they put "Mickey's Mouse" so prominently in the title, and that they use clips from Steamboat Willy in the movie itself. Yes it's public domain but the Disney lawyers will pull every trick in the book.
Old 01-02-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 654 Likes on 482 Posts

Iím curious, has much else been done with Winnie The Pooh since he became public domain? Other books, merchandise, etc? BLOOD AND HONEY came and went from public consciousness almost immediately, making an expectedly brief meme-worthy dent in the news + social media cycle, but now itís just one more piece of forgotten content in a vast wasteland. The utter cheapness and amateurishness of this MICKEY picture ó which looks even worse, technically ó will doom it to the same fate soon enough. But Iím curious if there has been any uptick in Winnie cash-ins and rip-offs beyond that film, in other media for example, or if these movies kind of kind of get all the attention there is to be gotten, and then everybody goes back to sleep.
Old 01-02-24, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts

^yeah but to be fair, it's not like they they "Disney Money" for SFX...
Old 01-02-24, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

These are so lazy.

If you want to really do something interesting, make him a character that travels up and down the river helping to solve problems or something.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,741 Likes on 2,684 Posts

They probably filmed this movie in like 2 weeks and already had this in the can and ready to go as they just waited for the Public domain date to release the trailer. Just get some random hot girls who can't act and find a few guys to throw in and bam! Horror movie ready to go.
Old 01-02-24, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
These are so lazy.

If you want to really do something interesting, make him a character that travels up and down the river helping to solve problems or something.
Especially lazy since it seems like they even used the same kind of cheap mask they used for the Pooh horror movie.

Even keeping it as a horror movie and having a the police investigate a murder spree up and down the river seems like a decent idea. Just having a dude in a really shitty mouse mask killing teens is stupid.
Old 01-02-24, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Just having a dude in a really shitty mouse mask killing teens is stupid.
And the setting has certainly been done better already, in WILLYíS WONDERLAND and FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDYíS. This just feels like zero-effort regional filmmaking at its laziest by comparison.
Old 01-02-24, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That reminds me... I need to start polishing up my Superman: Serial Rapist script.

I already have the tagline: "Lois will never recognize him without the glasses!"
Why not? Superman Returns already established that he's a stalker.
Old 01-02-24, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

Once again like the Winnie the Pooh slasher, this doesn't feel like a sincere attempt to adapt the public domain version of Mickey Mouse, which likely dooms it to nothing other than a footnote in movie history.

I suspect Disney's lawyers would throw up more resistance for something which could interfere with their current IPs. Animation costs too much money these days to make something out of the Steamboat Willie concept, without worrying Disney will sue you out of existence.

I wonder if anyone will adapt Steamboat Willie for a graphic novel. The lower costs of entry make it a perfect medium to test the concept's potential.

The Public domain becomes much more attractive once Superman and other Golden Age superheroes go free. I could even see major comic book talents taking a crack at them, unfettered by DC.
Old 01-02-24, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Public domain becomes much more attractive once Superman and other Golden Age superheroes go free. I could even see major comic book talents taking a crack at them, unfettered by DC.
We might see a whole new DCU, except starring cosplayers nobody knows filmed in exotic locales like backyards in Cincinnati or the side streets of Milwaukee. Actually, I wish I hadnít thought that . . . itís probably exactly whatíll happen.
Old 01-02-24, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
It's astonishing to me that the default idea people with zero ideas come up with always seems to be "let's make it ┴WiS┴Ǝd"
I might be talking out of my ass here, but I suspect that when it comes to pre-existing IPs like Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, and the DC Comics characters, they are still under trademark even if the copyrights of the old cartoons and comics themselves have gone into the public domain.

As such, it's probably safer to make these slasher-type movies because they would also have an added layer of legal protection by being able to claim they are parodies.
Giantrobo (01-03-24)
Old 01-02-24, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Especially lazy since it seems like they even used the same kind of cheap mask they used for the Pooh horror movie.

Even keeping it as a horror movie and having a the police investigate a murder spree up and down the river seems like a decent idea. Just having a dude in a really shitty mouse mask killing teens is stupid.
Filming anything remotely near water is too expensive and high effort for this type of cash grab.
Old 01-02-24, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Why not? They've been selling us the same gas for years.
Old 01-03-24, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 989 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I might be talking out of my ass here, but I suspect that when it comes to pre-existing IPs like Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, and the DC Comics characters, they are still under trademark even if the copyrights of the old cartoons and comics themselves have gone into the public domain.

As such, it's probably safer to make these slasher-type movies because they would also have an added layer of legal protection by being able to claim they are parodies.
Bingo. That's my understanding of it too. Specifically B&W, gloveless, Steamboat Willie/Plane Crazy Mickey Mouse is public domain. But Mickey in all other shapes and forms is still highly protected. So nobody can produce something that looks even remotely like it was produced by Disney. So a cheap budget horror flick is actually probably the best way to take advantage of it entering the public domain. Generate some buzz. Make a little bit of money. All while dodging Disney's lawyers and not having to spend a pretty penny on production.
Giantrobo (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Once again like the Winnie the Pooh slasher, this doesn't feel like a sincere attempt to adapt the public domain version of Mickey Mouse, which likely dooms it to nothing other than a footnote in movie history.

I suspect Disney's lawyers would throw up more resistance for something which could interfere with their current IPs. Animation costs too much money these days to make something out of the Steamboat Willie concept, without worrying Disney will sue you out of existence.

I wonder if anyone will adapt Steamboat Willie for a graphic novel. The lower costs of entry make it a perfect medium to test the concept's potential.

I dunno if they'll collect this but there are several webcomics up already, including this one:
https://mousetrappedcomic.blog/
Old 01-03-24, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Just having a dude in a really shitty mouse mask killing teens is stupid.

Yeah that never EVER works in a horror movie...

Old 01-03-24, 12:35 PM

Received 821 Likes on 536 Posts

I would have laughed it they used the Winnie the Pooh mask from Blood & Honey but painted like Mickey Mouse.
Old 01-03-24, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

They really should just do a Mickey vs. Pooh movie in the vein of Freddy vs. Jason.
Old 01-03-24, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
They really should just do a Mickey vs. Pooh movie in the vein of Freddy vs. Jason.
As with superhero movies you need to setup the individual characters before you go for the big crossover...
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
Giantrobo (01-03-24), story (01-04-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.