Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Damsel (2024, D: Fresnadillo) S: Millie Bobby Brown

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-23, 06:29 AM

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,125 Posts

This is NOT a fairytale. Millie Bobby Brown stars in Damsel. Only on Netflix 2024.

A dutiful damsel agrees to marry a handsome prince, only to find the royal family has recruited her as a sacrifice to repay an ancient debt. Thrown into a cave with a fire-breathing dragon, she must rely on her wits and will to survive.
Old 11-13-23, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Damsel (2024, D: Fresnadillo) S: Millie Bobby Brown

Look fun.
Old 02-13-24, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Old 03-04-24, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,030 Likes on 633 Posts

This comes out this Friday and I plan to watch it that night. I'm a big fan of the old dragon movie Dragonslayer, and this looks like it could be sort of a 'modern' version of that. I'm also a huge Stranger Things fan, so it'll be cool to see Millie Bobby Brown in the lead. I also like her in the Enola Holmes movies, though didn't care much for her character in the Godzilla movies--especially GvK--but that's more down to the writing.
Old 03-04-24, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I will definitely be giving this one a shot. I am glad that they appear to actually be taking the old school dark fantasy of the 80s approach.
Old 03-05-24, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts

Another trailer that gives way to much away.

Since it is Netflix...someday I will see it.
Old 03-08-24, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

I do not always agree with Collider's reviews after I watch a show/film to make up my own mind, but they gave it a 5/10, saying that yes, the Dragon is actually pretty awesome to look at, but the kingdom around the dragon is kind-of bland looking (they actually compare the aesthetic of the locations in this film to ABC's show Once Upon A Time and find the film lacking compared to the show, lol!!) and the final act will make you feel like some things were rushed.

I still plan to watch but it sounds like it will not overtake Dragonslayer as my favorite film featuring a dragon.
Old 03-08-24, 04:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts

What, no love for the Dragonheart franchise? I think there’s like 6 or 7 of them. I see different sequels on my pay channels all the time.
I did like the original though. Connery has a great voice.
Old 03-08-24, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,265 Likes on 843 Posts

Millie Bobby Brown is a mediocre actress, and I'm being kind.
Old 03-09-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched it last night. No spoilers, but I'll give some general thoughts.

The opening scenes are very bland, unfortunately. They do the job of setting up the premise, but this part could definitely have been done better to build the characters more. Once we are in the dragon's lair, I think it improved a lot. Still nothing amazing, but it was entertaining. I liked the way the dragon looks and sounds, and the sense of danger was vivid. The visuals were pretty good. The ending was fairly satisfying. Overall, the writing in this is not very good, but the dragon scenes are worth the watch. I'd agree with the 5/10 Collider review.
Old 03-09-24, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I tried. I bailed after 30 min, so i didn't even make it to the dragon.
Old 03-10-24, 04:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reign of Fire is equal to Dragonslayer.
The following users liked this post:
csant (03-10-24)
Old 03-10-24, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yes, those are the top two dragon movies, by a mile.
Old 03-10-24, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Glaring continuity error toward the end. She had a bad burn on her right shoulder, but right after her ordeal it had moved to her left.
Old 03-10-24, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this last night and found it entertaining but didn't come close to Dragonslayer. I think 6/10 is the best I could give it . Any scene relating to the dragon (including the two statues as they approach the kingdom) is really well done. Everything else looks pretty low rent and the opening credits really make it look made for TV. I also found the costuming and sets a bit too colorful for what was trying to be a dark fantasy movie.
That being said, there were some things I did like.
Spoiler:
The whole cultish aspect of the sacrifices and they secretive nature of everything that was happening really made this movie seem like a Hammer production that had a decent FX budget. When I look at the movie through that lenses , I find it a bit more enthralling.
Old 03-16-24, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 732 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris

We get fooled when some UK actors can do a good American accent but then you find out they can't act.

The movie was ok and maybe if you can't decide on a movie to watch on a Fri or Sat and runs for less 2 hrs you can put Damsel on but it is not a must see.
Old 03-17-24, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 399 Likes on 322 Posts

Robin Wright and Angela Bassett are superb actresses, but that didn't show on screen. The characters were bland and the dialogue the bare minimum to move the plot along. The look of the movie was way to clean, even in the beginning in the barren castle. The set up was way too long. This was a terrible movie. I've watched Madame Web the day before and it was better.
What I liked about Damsel was the dragon fire, it being kind of liquid like lava looked great and the show down was solid, although I hated that the Damsel never told the dragon how she was fooled, only that she was fooled.
Old 03-17-24, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Runaway
Robin Wright and Angela Bassett are superb actresses, but that didn't show on screen. The characters were bland and the dialogue the bare minimum to move the plot along. The look of the movie was way to clean, even in the beginning in the barren castle. The set up was way too long. This was a terrible movie. I've watched Madame Web the day before and it was better.
What I liked about Damsel was the dragon fire, it being kind of liquid like lava looked great and the show down was solid, although I hated that the Damsel never told the dragon how she was fooled, only that she was fooled.

Agree 100% with the look being too clean and the dialogue. However, Elodie did indeed tell the dragon how she had been fooled. I can only surmise that with this and the fact that you don't remember the name of MBB's character you must have stopped paying attention after a point. Which in all honesty, I can understand.
Old 03-17-24, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched some more of this, and the dragon scenes are pretty good, but that's because of Shoreh Aghdashloo doing the voice.

And this is one magical dragon pit, where you can just throw chicks down there and none end up suffering major injuries! Unless I missed a pile of bones around where Elodie lands.

And Hollywood should hire me to be the "hands continuity coordinator", because in the space of a couple of minutes, Elodie has fake nails, then she doesn't, then a "hand double" replaces her hand on a wall.
Old 03-17-24, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched some more of this, and the dragon scenes are pretty good, but that's because of Shoreh Aghdashloo doing the voice.

And this is one magical dragon pit, where you can just throw chicks down there and none end up suffering major injuries! Unless I missed a pile of bones around where Elodie lands.

And Hollywood should hire me to be the "hands continuity coordinator", because in the space of a couple of minutes, Elodie has fake nails, then she doesn't, then a "hand double" replaces her hand on a wall.
More than hands needed monitored. See my comment above about her burns toward the end of the movie.
The following users liked this post:
eXcentris (03-22-24)
Old 03-18-24, 12:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
^Yes, those are the top two dragon movies, by a mile.
beg to differ. the How to Train Your Dragon franchise and Puff the Magic Dragon should at least in the discussion of great dragon movies. sure, they are animated, but still...
Old 03-24-24, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Okay, now that I just watched the film I will admit it was pretty good.

I was entertained enough that I have no interest in dwelling on the deficiencies of the film that are definitely being noticed by some critics who are calling the film atrocious, lol.

You can do worse than killing some time by watching this film on a chill weekend day.
Old 03-24-24, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,103 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Okay, now that I just watched the film I will admit it was pretty good.

I was entertained enough that I have no interest in dwelling on the deficiencies of the film that are definitely being noticed by some critics who are calling the film atrocious, lol.

You can do worse than killing some time by watching this film on a chill weekend day.
If they had taken the resources they put behind this, and gave it the energy of Joey King in The Princess, it really would have been something. I thought this was an okay watch, as well, but the story seemed pitched at the mentality of a youth audience. Maybe that's what it supposed to be since MBB is a teenager. Old farts like me are not the target audience.
Old 03-24-24, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

++++++