Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite genre and why?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite genre and why?

Old 11-04-23, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
Favorite genre and why?

I know they’ve been a few of these, but none really asked for the why and thus I’m curious.

Mine has always been horror. I think because I was so scared of them growing up (Aliens) and though they’ve given me a nightmare or two, I love to see a good, original horror movie. Probably because of the thrill, the grotesque ness, the uniqueness. It takes a lot nowadays to freak me (Talk to Me), but when one does, it goes to my list. I love things that are unnerving, macabre. Not because that’s how I think or act, but because I would never think like that. If that makes sense.
Old 11-04-23, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 346 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Favorite genre and why?

No favorite genre here. Most of my favorite movies are spread out pretty evenly throughout many genres.

A great movie tends to transcend it's own genre for me.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (11-04-23)
Old 11-04-23, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 570 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
No favorite genre here. Most of my favorite movies are spread out pretty evenly throughout many genres.

A great movie tends to transcend it's own genre for me.
Exactly my feelings.

Old 11-05-23, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Westerns. Whether they're B-westerns from the 30s and 40s, TV westerns from the 50s and 60s, or notable works in color and widescreen from major directors in the 50s, 60s & 70s, westerns always appeal to me, even the low-budget ones.

I always say, put some tough looking actors in costume, give 'em horses and guns, put 'em in front of a camera and the movie practically writes itself. Same with tough-looking dames, like THE DALTON GIRLS (1957):

Old 11-05-23, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

I wouldn't say that I have a favorite genre, but with Westerns I'm much more lenient. I enjoy a new mediocre Western, since there are not that many new editions, more than I would enjoy a modern revenge Thriller with basically the same plot. When I was a child, my mother and I used to watch "Western von gestern" which rhymes and translates to "Western from yesterday", meaning every friday we watched a classic Western. From that time I remember The Magnificent Seven, which is one of my favorite movies, The Big Country, El Dorardo, Firecreek, Winchester '73 and lots of other ones.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (11-06-23)