Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Barbie (2023, D: Gerwig) -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Barbie?
13.73%
13.73%
29.41%
11.76%
5.88%
3.92%
3.92%
1.96%
0%
0%
5.88%
No interest
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts

To live in Barbie Land is to be a perfect being in a perfect place. Unless you have a full-on existential crisis. Or you’re a Ken.

Starring: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Simu Liu, Kate McKinnon, America Ferrera

Running Time: 114 minutes

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 89% (Certified Fresh)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/barbie

Officially opens Thursday afternoon. But an early fan screening was Wednesday night.
Old 07-20-23, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts
Re: Barbie (2023, D: Gerwig) -- S: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling

I enjoyed this, went in without watching trailers. Waiting for Oppenheimer to start now.
Old 07-20-23, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Barbie (2023, D: Gerwig) -- The Reviews Thread

Saw it today as well and thought it was great. Think it will have legs.
Old 07-20-23, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

It was very good. Very funny
Old 07-20-23, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 708 Likes on 469 Posts

What was the point of Allan being in the movie? It seemed like he was going to have a role in the story, but then nothing. Feels like they could have cut him out entirely (unless I'm not remembering something).
Old 07-20-23, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow
What was the point of Allan being in the movie? It seemed like he was going to have a role in the story, but then nothing. Feels like they could have cut him out entirely (unless I'm not remembering something).
He was just a weird non-Ken doll that made in the 60s. He didn't really get a conclusion to his story.
Old 07-20-23, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 708 Likes on 469 Posts

Yeah, I know who is, just seemed weird that it seemed like he was going to have a part in the story, but then didn't. Was he the one that beat everyone up as they were trying to leave Barbie world again? I guess there is that (if that was him, I already forget ).
Old 07-21-23, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Manohla Dargis gives it a cautious positive review in The New York Times. I think she's afraid to criticize it and get social media backlash, so we have a review that sidesteps any problems she might have had with it.

Oh, and read the comments!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/18/m...ie-review.html
Old 07-21-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
so we have a review that sidesteps any problems she might have had with it.
I have no interest in reading a review that holds back.
Old 07-21-23, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yeah, I know who is, just seemed weird that it seemed like he was going to have a part in the story, but then didn't. Was he the one that beat everyone up as they were trying to leave Barbie world again? I guess there is that (if that was him, I already forget ).
Yeah, they should have given him a post-credit scene that brought his story closure.
Old 07-21-23, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

The Godfather and reference to the Snyder cut were hilarious.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael T Hudson:
Dr. DVD (07-22-23), IBJoel (07-27-23)
Old 07-21-23, 05:17 PM

Received 809 Likes on 525 Posts

My wife and I just caught a matinee in a very full large theater. Folks were rolling.

We enjoyed it quite a bit and my final take is that it did not deserve to be as funny as it was... but it was.

John Cena as a Ken Mermaid caught me off guard and when Dua Lipa as a Barbie Mermaid handed him a drink, I lost it.

My wife giggled at the mention of the BBC Pride and Prejudice being watched for the 7th time (and she commented that she has seen it that many times at least).

I would give this movie a rewatch on home video.
The following users liked this post:
BDB (07-22-23)
Old 07-21-23, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. It's not the best summer movie I've seen, but I was really entertained. It's quite funny and also quite deep as well. In the end, Barbie was trying to find her purpose in life other than just being a stereotypical blonde toy.

at Ken being "Friend-Zoned" Gosling was funny as Ken, although he got a little too hammy at times.

I want that "I am Ken-ough" shirt

I'll probably watch it again when it hits Max in the Fall. But, yeah I was surprised how much I liked this.
Goldberg74 (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I am shocked at how much I smiled and laughed throughout the entire movie.

I absolutely loved it. The comedic writing, directing and acting was just excellent across the board.

I actually think Margot Robbie might get some acting nominations out of this. She was a jack-of-all-trades in this, kind of.

I won’t go see anything twice in a theater these days, but this and M:I made me want to do just that in the past week.
Old 07-22-23, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,236 Likes on 4,258 Posts

I liked it but didn't love it. It just wasn't that funny or interesting to me. Still it had bit and jokes I liked. Felt like a lot of the best stuff was spoiled in the trailers. I don't fault Gerwig for that, but it did make the film less surprising and less amusing for me. Still some good bits and Gosling was amazing throughout.
Old 07-22-23, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

It started out promising. But then as the message started getting more heavy-handed, I got bored.
Old 07-22-23, 06:44 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Ryan Gosling is the MVP of this movie. Will Ferrell is its biggest detriment imo. I just felt the movie started to drag whenever a scene of his came up. Why did the CEO and all his employees act like stupid, bumbling cartoon characters when they’re first chasing Barbie when they’re all from the “real world”?

The movie could have done a lot more fish-out-of-water stuff with Ken and Barbie in California. That whole bit seemed short; was expecting a lot more of that.

Overall, it was entertaining. With Gerwig and Boambach behind it it had to be at least.

ps. I expect in one weeks’ time after many more people have seen this that social media will be bombarded with videos and articles from the “Woke” train brigade. I’m already starting to see it in some of my feeds. Just saw a YouTube video review from some guy blasting the movie for being a “kill-the-patriarchy, misandrist feminist piece of garbage”. This guy was pissed! 🤣 Saw another article elsewhere tonight that took issue with the movie for further pushing LGBTQ agendas onto what should be a story with a core audience of “families and children”. According to the writer it does so by having two transgender actresses play Barbies in the film, actress Hari Neff being one of them.

Last edited by CristonCole; 07-22-23 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-22-23, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I have no interest in reading a review that holds back.
This review from Time doesn't. Seems the reviewer, Stephanie Zacharek, felt that after an enjoyable first half hour that the film goes downhill. On a somewhat related note (given the weird trend that formed around the two movies), she gave a glowing review to Oppenheimer.
Ash Ketchum (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this yesterday with my mom, who was a Barbie collector way back when the doll started in the late 50s/early 60s. We both enjoyed it overall. I think the only way one could truly see it as misandrist is if the viewer in question doesn't have any concept of what elements make up a satirical work. I see it having legs, but I also see it having a pretty big drop next weekend due to word getting out that it is NOT a movie to which one should take young grade school aged girls to see. It is very much an adult oriented movie aimed at older audiences and kids will get bored. Best joke was definitely Mirren/the narrator's comment about Margot Robbie being the wrong person for the message they were trying to convey.

Anyhoo, on to Oppenheimer IMAX this afternoon.
Old 07-22-23, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole
​​​​
​​Ps. I expect in one weeks’ time after many more people have seen this that social media will be bombarded with videos and articles from the “Woke” train brigade. I’m already starting to see it in some of my feeds. Just saw a YouTube video review from some guy blasting the movie for being a “kill-the-patriarchy, misandrist feminist piece of garbage”. This guy was pissed! 🤣 Saw another article elsewhere tonight that took issue with the movie for further pushing LGBTQ agendas onto what should be a story with a core audience of “families and children”. According to the writer it does so by having two transgender actresses play Barbies in the film, actress Hari Neff being one of them.
Same people complained the Lego Movie was corrupting kids with anti-business propaganda, modern social media is dumb.
Dr. DVD (07-24-23)
Old 07-22-23, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This review from Time doesn't. Seems the reviewer, Stephanie Zacharek, felt that after an enjoyable first half hour that the film goes downhill. On a somewhat related note (given the weird trend that formed around the two movies), she gave a glowing review to Oppenheimer.
I used to like Stephanie Zacharek's reviews for the Village Voice back when it was a print publication, so I'm glad to see she got a nice reviewing gig.
She's got one line here, however, that qualifies her for the "Unpopular Movie Opinion Thread":
...the first half-hour or so is dazzling and often genuinely funny, a vision that’s something close to (though not nearly as weird as) the committed act of imagination Robert Altman pulled off with his marvelous Popeye.
Brave lady!
Old 07-22-23, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,236 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Same people complained the Lego Movie was corrupting kids with anti-business propaganda, modern social media is dumb.
I commented to my wife that Will Ferrell plays the same part in both those movies.
Old 07-22-23, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Apparently there are a bunch of Easter eggs if you’re knowledgeable of your Barbie history

Old 07-22-23, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Fantastic movie - best I’ve seen all year. Hilarious throughout with excellent performances and a necessary message. My wife told me she teared up during America Ferrara’s speech because it articulated how she feels so well. And we have a teenage daughter so a lot of those scenes really got to me too.

Love that Mattel leaned into everything and let themselves be the butt of the jokes. Everything with the Kens was gold, I laughed every time Allan popped up and every joke about Midge was perfect (loved Ferrell being scared of her). Robbie and Gosling were PERFECT.

Like the LEGO movie, they made it for fans but allowed for all of the quirks (like the weird feet, only bending at the waist, where does Ken live? etc) that made the properties so beloved.

I also like that the trailers didn’t give much away. I thought it would be more like the Brady Bunch movie with Barbie in the real world and I’m glad they didn’t go that route.

We saw it in a sold out theater at the Alamo and I had trouble finding parking which has NEVER happened. I saw multi generations there together, dressed up and taking pictures after with the Barbie standee. I hope this blows the doors off at the box office because it deserved it.

An easy five stars from me.

EDIT: We stopped at Trader Joe’s tonight which shares a parking lot with the theater we used to go to. Every spot in every lot was full. I have never seen anything close to that before. I feel like this weekend is gonna post some huge box office numbers.

Last edited by Draven; 07-22-23 at 07:39 PM.
Throwing Copper (07-23-23)
Old 07-23-23, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Saw it yesterday with my fiancée. We both liked it overall. She probably enjoyed it slightly more than I did but I still thought it had some funny bits. Robbie and Gosling were both great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.