Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bird Box: Barcelona (2023, D: David & Alex Pastor) -- S: Georgina Campbell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

From the producers of the global phenomenon, Bird Box, comes BIRD BOX BARCELONA, an expansion of the film that riveted audiences in 2018. After a mysterious force decimates the world’s population, Sebastian must navigate his own survival journey through the desolate streets of Barcelona. As he forms uneasy alliances with other survivors and they try to escape the city, an unexpected and even more sinister threat grows.

Comes out on Netflix July 14th

It's written and directed by the creators of the SyFy series "Incorporated" if any of you remember it.
Old 06-28-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts
Re: Bird Box: Barcelona (2023, D: David & Alex Pastor) -- S: Georgina Campbell

Old 06-30-23, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Rewatching the original
Old 06-30-23, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Can't say I'm all that excited about this. Maybe had it come out closer to the original. But at this point I'd rather see a true sequel based on the second book, Malorie.

EDIT: Surprised it's only been 5 years since the first movie was released. Feels like ages ago.
Old 06-30-23, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

lol... at only 5 years. Time flies when you're having fun. =)
Old 07-02-23, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
lol... at only 5 years. Time flies when you're having fun. =)
Took me a while to get what you were implying.
The following users liked this post:
csant (07-08-23)
Old 07-08-23, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Can't say I'm all that excited about this. Maybe had it come out closer to the original. But at this point I'd rather see a true sequel based on the second book, Malorie.

EDIT: Surprised it's only been 5 years since the first movie was released. Feels like ages ago.
And I'm just thinking, "It's been five years already?" Felt like it just came out.
Old 07-12-23, 06:13 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bird_box_barcelona
Old 02-18-24, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Popped this on and I'm only 15 minutes in . . . had to pause it to come here and say WHAT IN THE LIVING F##K?!

It's definitely screwing with expectations. An interesting possible twist . . .

26 minutes . . . wow. This is nucking futs. Some heavy shit.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-18-24 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-19-24, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

OK . . . This is NOT a sequel, which is a good thing. Honestly, I thought this was better than Bird Box. It had a good premise, but the characters were pretty unlikable from what I remember.

The first act punches fast and hard (spoilers below), put it wears itself out. The second act lets off the gas and falls into the typical territory of these type of films. Where this one excels is in the new concepts it brings and weaves into the story. Very unlike what you typically get in these films. I think they could have leaned a little further into that, but then it may have just become a different trope. The third act gets pretty stereotypical.

One basic story gripe though . . . there are birds in several scenes, but the "things" don't pay them any mind. In one scene, all the birds fly off when it comes. In a couple of other scenes they just kind of go crazy (start flying into windows, get extremely agitated in a cage). They totally dumped the concept. I really don't feel like watching the original again (though I might), so am I misremembering that the "things" were suppose to be afraid of birds? EDIT: Yes, misremembered. Went back and read the thread for the original. The birds were just an alarm system.

So, what is it that I am going on about? Caution . . . BIG twist revealed . . .

Spoiler:
I really enjoy the aspect of these things not being alien invaders, but possibly angels. It does leave a gaping plot hole of "If they are sending people to Heaven, why does everybody commit suicide which would prevent them from going to Heaven?" However that is answered through quantum physics . . . maybe they aren't aliens or angels, but just what the observer sees. This one tries to go a bit head-trippy, but doesn't lean all in.

I warned you . . . A BIG twist is here:

Spoiler:
The "hero" is not the hero. He believes he working as an agent of God to set people free and release them to Heaven. At first, I was thinking, "This guy would fit right in with Rick Grimes, because he does the stupidest shit . . . Oh. Oh! OH!" He infiltrates pockets of survivors and then lures them to their deaths. I am not big on redemption arcs, and I like that this one did NOT go full on redemption.

I actually recommend this, particularly if you like horror films that are a little more thoughtful. You won't get that throughout the whole movie, but there is enough there to make it worth it.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-19-24 at 11:54 AM.