Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of D&D: Honor Among Thieves?
12.00%
28.00%
36.00%
16.00%
4.00%
4.00%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 03-31-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

A charming thief and a band of unlikely adventurers undertake an epic heist to retrieve a lost relic, but things go dangerously awry when they run afoul of the wrong people. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves brings the rich world and playful spirit of the legendary roleplaying game to the big screen in a hilarious and action-packed adventure.

Starring: Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Hugh Grant, Rege-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis

Rating: PG-13 (Some Language|Fantasy Action/Violence)

Running Time: 2 hours, 14 minutes

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 90% as of 3/31/23

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dun..._among_thieves

This officially opens today after multiple early screenings. I saw the Amazon Prime screening a few weeks ago and loved it. I plan to see it again today in Dolby.

I had a blast watching this and I'm not a hardcore D&D fan at all. It's very funny with lots of action and cool special effects. And there's great chemistry with the cast. I think this is 100% worth seeing in the theater if you're a fan of the fantasy genre.

There is 1 mid-credits scene. It's funny, but I don't think it's mandatory viewing if you have to leave or rush to go pee.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-31-23 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-31-23, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Just got back from seeing it a 2nd time in Dolby. Definitely enhanced the experience. The sound was absolutely killer, especially in the underground sequence with the dragon. You could feel the stomping on your seats.

I have to admit, this was probably my favorite character that Michelle Rodriguez has played in her career. I loved Holga. She's funny, snarky and badass. Definitely more interesting than Letty in the Fast franchise. And she and Pine played off each other very well.

BTW, when I first saw this 2 weeks ago, I totally missed the cameo from Bradley Cooper. He basically appears in 1 scene and his character has a past relationship with Holga.

I do hope this does well this weekend and makes money and maybe we can get a sequel. I really liked these characters.
Old 03-31-23, 10:33 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

My 14yo son and I just got back from seeing this. Our theater was practically full and well engaged.

My son is part of the D&D Club at his middle school and has been playing for a few years now. He said that heíll watch as many as they make. (Should I go back and show him the 2000 monstrosity? No, I wonít subject him to that mess.)

The movie was clever, quick, full of fun, and just plain silly in some places. We loved it.

My oldest son and his friends loved it as well.

The cast was great (even Hugh Grant) and really gelled (I should make a pun about the gelatinous cube, but I wonít).
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (03-31-23)
Old 04-01-23, 06:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

The movie was clever, quick, full of fun, and just plain silly in some places. We loved it.
Sums it up perfectly. This was a blast.
Goldberg74 (04-01-23)
Old 04-02-23, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Watched this tonight in Dolby Cinema and it was fun as fucking hell! The DC was insane, like, Shazam 2 and John Wick 4 levels of insane. It had a lot of heart and the cameo was fun, but too bad it was spoiled a week ago by shithead sites. Hugh Grant was awesome and now that I think of it, he's been playing scumbags for more than 10 years now, maybe since Cloud Atlas or therabouts. It fits him great since he's recently admitted to being a prick in real life. There was an awkward intro by the cast members right before the opening credits - not sure why they decided on that.

I've never played a D&D game before in my entire life, but I'll assume that the players in my audience approved of the film. I am glad it picked up steam, because 1 month ago it was a fucking ghost town even though they were heavily promoting the film everywhere. It might come in #1 tomorrow since it's taken all of JW4 premium screens from last week.
Old 04-02-23, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

It did pretty well according to early estimates. But it’s going to lose Dolby and IMAX screens to Mario Brothers this upcoming week.

Why So Blu? (04-02-23)
Old 04-02-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The only issue I see is that it still may have cost too much to make. I think it cost 150 million to make. I think if it had cost only 100 million to make, it would have a much better chance of turning a better profit.
Old 04-02-23, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Fuck it, I gave it five stars. Thatís the most fun Iíve had at the theater in years. Just a grin from start to finish. Iím not a D&D player but Iíve played a lot of the video games so I know what things like displacer beasts and Icewind Dale are. Top to bottom this was fantastic.

Didn't get spoiled in the cameo either because I have just avoided everything about the movie.

And I LOVED the Saturday morning cartoon moment. I adored that show as a kid.
Abob Teff (04-09-23)
Old 04-02-23, 11:56 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
And I LOVED the Saturday morning cartoon moment. I adored that show as a kid.
I have the DVD set and let my son borrow it. I need to get it back from him.
Draven (04-05-23)
Old 04-05-23, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts

Plan to see this .. maybe tomorrow. If it does well hopefully they'll make some sort of board game out of it.
story (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 02:21 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

We saw this as a family during a Sunday matinee and all of us enjoyed it, kids and adults. Lots of action, lots of laugh, lots of lore, lots of heart. Plenty of easter eggs for even a casual fan who hasn't played in years like me. I'd see one of these a year, absolutely. Keep making them!
Old 04-09-23, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being an old school gamer and fan I was very appreciative of the homage to the original animated tv show
Draven (04-11-23)
Old 04-09-23, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Enjoyed the heck out of this! Like a few others have said, possibly the most fun I've had in a theater in ages! The Saturday morning nod was the best!

It had plenty of fan service, but not at the expense of newbies. The self-reverent humor was very well done. When the dragon showed up, my first thought was, "Damn, that is a fat dragon!" Just a beat later, "That is one pudgy dragon!"

I am getting a kick out of multiple podcasts who are lamenting the whitewashing of the band of heroes ... I get that the tiefling was "humanized" but I hardly call that band of heroes whitewashed.
story (04-10-23)
Old 04-10-23, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I am getting a kick out of multiple podcasts who are lamenting the whitewashing of the band of heroes ... I get that the tiefling was "humanized" but I hardly call that band of heroes whitewashed.
I guess they wanted her to be pink?

Old 04-14-23, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...EKEND_WIDGET_4

This fucking sucks. Looks like this will be a money loser. $127M worldwide right now.

It started week 1 decently, but the momentum on this seems to have fallen flat, especially after Mario Bros. came out.

Maybe some people were hesitant to try it because they don't know the IP or game? It's a great movie too.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
miller_time22 (04-19-23), story (04-14-23)
Old 04-14-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I think it was bad timing mostly. Wick 4, D&D and Mario have more overlap than I think they realized.

I saw it Wednesday and thought it was great, full theater too.

You could say Mario Bros sucked the AIR out of D&D
Old 04-14-23, 01:31 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

That really stinks. We really like this one. I heard a lot of rumbling about D&D players wanting to boycott it because Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast wanted a piece of the third-party adventure action for the first time in its existence. I admit, I have mixed feelings about that, too, but not enough to boycott! If fans want these movies, they need to support them!
Old 04-14-23, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I know it's a really crowded field right now and there aren't enough eyes and money to go around. But it's not like it's a divisive film like Ant-man 3. It's a really good movie and a quality movie that's great on the big screen.

I mean if some people are just waiting to pay the $20 PVOD fee because they feel more comfortable doing it that way, then I guess cool beans? But, this is one I really rooting for, especially after seeing the early screening and how good it was and later seeing a Dolby screening.
Old 04-14-23, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 480 Likes on 316 Posts

I enjoyed this a lot. These kind of fantasy/quest movies all have pretty much the same plots, so it's the character bits and set pieces that make the movie, and [B]Dungeons & Dragons[/B was full of that great stuff. This is a movie I'm sure even my parents would enjoy.

I must have zoned out briefly during the end, because I missed whatever happened with the Simon character; what I remember is he finally figured out how the helmet worked, he was about to enter the treasure room, and they cut back to what the other characters are doing, and the next time we see Simon is when he's in the arena with every one else. What happened, how did he get captured?
Old 04-14-23, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I enjoyed this a lot. These kind of fantasy/quest movies all have pretty much the same plots, so it's the character bits and set pieces that make the movie, and Dungeons & Dragons[/B was full of that great stuff. This is a movie I'm sure even my parents would enjoy.

I must have zoned out briefly during the end, because I missed whatever happened with the Simon character; what I remember is he finally figured out how the helmet worked, he was about to enter the treasure room, and they cut back to what the other characters are doing, and the next time we see Simon is when he's in the arena with every one else. What happened, how did he get captured?
The room he got into was empty and a trap. He wound up entangled in a red tentacle.
Crocker Jarmen (04-14-23)
Old 04-19-23, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm sad to see, the movie isn't doing better. This was really a lot of fun. A great cast, the movie wasn't taking itself to seriously, but wasn't a spoof either, kind of like The Pirates of the Caribbean movies. This probably won't be a franchise starter.
miller_time22 (04-19-23)
Old 04-19-23, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It could still prove popular once it hits streaming but as of now, yeah, disappointed that we won't see another team up with these guys.
Old 04-19-23, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

That is a big bummer. That was the most fun I've had at the movies in ages.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xander:
Abob Teff (04-22-23), Draven (04-19-23)
Old 04-21-23, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I read this is up on Paramount+ now.

Edit: Apparently it was an error and has since been removed.
Old 04-21-23, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Doesn't look like it. Just check on the app.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.