Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War of the Worlds - The Attack (2023)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-24-23, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

I didn't even know this was a thing.

The original 1953 The War of the Worlds is one of my all time favorite movies. I even got to see it on the big screen in 1982 or so (as part of a double feature with When Worlds Collide). The Spielberg remake had it's moments, but annoying kids kind of ruined it.

This, however, looks better than that one. It goes back to the H.G. Wells original story, and even pulls out some dialogue from the novel. That's a good sign. The effects look pretty good in the trailer, too. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm in...

Old 03-24-23, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Re: War of the Worlds - The Attack (2023)

Every time I'm looking at used DVDs I see all the previous attempts at this story. I love the classic and have the Spielberg one on DVD but haven't watched it. They're going to keep remaking this as long as people keep wanting to see alien invasion movies. At least the FX look okay here.
Old 03-24-23, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I didn't even know this was a thing.

The original 1953 The War of the Worlds is one of my all time favorite movies. I even got to see it on the big screen in 1982 or so (as part of a double feature with When Worlds Collide). The Spielberg remake had it's moments, but annoying kids kind of ruined it.

This, however, looks better than that one. It goes back to the H.G. Wells original story, and even pulls out some dialogue from the novel. That's a good sign. The effects look pretty good in the trailer, too. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm in...

WAR OF THE WORLDS THE ATTACK Official Trailer (2023) - YouTube

I like the approach they're taking with the aliens and the space craft. Very faithful. However, I hope to one day see a (big budget) version of War of the Worlds that's set within the time period of the original book.
Old 03-24-23, 08:55 AM

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,110 Posts

But if you do that, then everyone will know it's just a story!
Old 03-24-23, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Impressive trailer and effects, but that title gives it an Asylum vibe. The director has some high-profile VFX credits to his name up until about 2016, then a bunch of less familiar titles. His co-writer Tom Jolliffe's filmography could be more telling, though:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6789910/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
Old 03-24-23, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I actually enjoyed the recent 3 season British TV series on Epix/MGM+ with Gabriel Byrne. Yes, it was slow and not a lot of action. Much more cerebral and suspense driven.

Looking forward to this new vision!