Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lost King (2023, D: Frears) S: Sally Hawkins, Steve Coogan, Harry Lloyd

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-22-23, 03:20 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Opening in theaters March 24, 2023.
Director: Stephen Frears
Producers: Steve Coogan, Christine Langan, Dan Winch
Writers: Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope
Starring: Sally Hawkins, Steve Coogan, Harry Lloyd, Mark Addy

In this inspiring true story, amateur historian Philippa Langley believes she has made the archeological find of the century: the lost burial site of King Richard III. She takes on Britainís most eminent historians, forcing them to rethink the legacy of one of the most controversial rulers in English history.
Opens this week. Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lost_king
Old 03-29-23, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts
Re: The Lost King (2023, D: Frears) S: Sally Hawkins, Steve Coogan, Harry Lloyd

I caught this last night. It's slight, but very pleasant. It's kind of a low stakes procedural/detective story. It follows most of the typical beats you'd expect with that kind of story. No real surprises, especially if you know the true story. They try to dress it up with a little extra character stuff for Sally Hawkins' character, but it never goes anywhere. Still, she's great and I laughed out loud a couple of times even though I wouldn't really call this a comedy.

I remember the Richard III stuff in the news a couple of years ago, but I'm not much of a royal historian and didn't really know anything about his reign or the controversies. So in that sense, I was pretty interested in everything that happened and I might even be inclined to read the book this was based on. It's not going to get a lot of discussion here (or anywhere really), but I liked it and would recommend it to anyone wanting a break from blockbuster/genre fare.
Old 03-29-23, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Oh wow, I never looked closely at the poster when I've walked by it, so I was under the impression this was a Disney-type movie about a King who got sent back in time. Frears has had a fascinating career, I'll be checking this out afterall.
Old 11-23-23, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally saw this. Wonderful film. I was not expecting that. I'm amazed how they cut the trailer to sell it. Like it's a comedy/drama. It was not a comedy at all. Both Hawkins and Coogan were fantastic. And Stephen Frears is one of my all-time favorite Directors. He has rarely disappointed me. This is definitely one of my favorites of 2023.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (11-26-23)