Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scream VI (2023, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Scream VI?
0%
5.26%
36.84%
21.05%
10.53%
10.53%
5.26%
5.26%
0%
5.26%
0%
No interest, Not for me.
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

“The Scream saga continues with the four survivors of the Ghostface killings as they leave Woodsboro behind and start a fresh chapter.”

Rated: R

Running Time: 123 minutes

Budget: $35M according to IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes score:

78% after 118 reviews on 3/9/23

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/scream_vi

Opens tonight. I plan to see it tomorrow night.
Old 03-09-23, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Scream VI (2023, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I just got back from the theater to see this one. I had watched a bad review before going, so I was immediately worried I wouldn't like it. I enjoyed Scream (2022) for what it was, a reboot disguised as a sequel. My impression of Scream 5 was that Jenna Ortega was going to be a star and Melissa Barrera was void of any acting talent. Jenna Ortega has become a star a year later with Wednesday, but Melissa Barrera wasn't nearly as bad here as she was in Scream 5. That hospital scene in Scream 5 with Ortega where she confesses all of her secrets was cringeworthy, but she somewhat redeems herself here. She still isn't the greatest actress in the world, but it's not nearly as glaring in Scream VI. Hayden Panettiere's return as Kirby Reed was a breath of fresh air, as she grew up to become an FBI agent and arrives to aid the police in solving the case. Hayden's looks have changed a lot, so it was a little jarring at first, but the way they used her was great and I hope she will be back for some sequels down the line. Courteney Cox felt a little shoehorned into the movie and didn't really have much to do, but her scene and fight with Ghostface was one of the best in the franchise. Gale could not appear in any sequels and I'd be okay with that. However, the scene where she first appears with Sam missing her punch on Gale, a la Sydney, only for Tara to punch Gale instead had me laughing. Mason Gooding and Jasmin Savoy Brown are also back and did a great job. Chad had much more to do this time around and grew as a character between the last movie and this one. The methodology of the Ghostface killers this time around was fun as well, with them collecting souvenirs from the other murders, including all of the masks. Every movie is referenced at least once. Also, for an opneing kill, Samara Weaving did fine with her small role, as did the guy who played Flash Thompson in the MCU. Revealing him as a killer in the opneing scene, only for him to get murdered himself, had never been done before, so that was cool.

Finally, the Ghostface reveals. For the first time, there are three killers. I had already figured out Dermot Mulroney and Ethan, but the third being a victim from earlier in the movie I didn't suspect. Then, they were also revealed as Richie's family. Watching them get their asses kicked by the Carpenter sisters and Kirby was gratifying in the best way. I think there will be further installments and I think Wes Craven would be proud. Great movie and may be the best sequel overall.
Old 03-09-23, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Great slasher but very contrived when it comes to how it all comes together. To believe that the whole family would be involved in this and only one year later is beyond absurd.
Old 03-10-23, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The killer reveal was probably my least favorite of the series, mainly because it felt derivative of Scream 2 and the performances were hammy (even for this franchise). Still, I think overall I enjoyed it more than the previous movie - though the dramatic beats weren't as effective without Sidney and Dewey there. The main characters just aren't as strong. I don't think Melissa Barrera is a bad actress, but she might as well be a plank of wood compared to Neve Campbell as our main heroine. I did like how they used Kirby in this one. Also glad they kept Mindy around. She may be a deliberate stand-in for her uncle Randy, but Jasmin Savoy Brown is entertaining in the part.

While the character is missed, it shouldn't be Sidney's fight forever and I agree with the line about her deserving her happy ending - but I'm sure they'll lure Campbell back eventually if the offer is fair.

Last edited by joe_b; 03-16-23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-10-23, 04:46 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The NYC setting was cool and I liked the return of Kirby, but I didn't like this one as much as the last one. Still... at the end of the day, the franchise continues to deliver, and I'll be there for the next one.

It was so blatantly obvious to me from very early on (the convenience store / shotgun sequence) who two of the killers were and that they were Richie's family it really took me out. I kept thinking that they couldn't just be repeating the same trope of the 2nd film. The dialogue about the dead brother had to just be a red herring, right? Nope. By the subway sequence, I thought to myself, that virgin kinda looks like Jack Quaid, so I got the the third before the reveal too.

I don't see how Sidney would've have fit into this without feeling completely shoe-horned in. I love Campbell, but she wasn't needed.

The quick end credit scene was amusing.

Last edited by dex14; 03-10-23 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-10-23, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I am curious where they'll go with Scream 7. If they try to copy Scream 3 (hidden mastermind pulling the strings), will the killer end up being the moderator of the Stab subreddit who is revealed as the very not dead Stu?

I'd also be surprised if Billy Loomis' baby mama doesn't finally show up and factor into the plot in a major way. Is Eva Longoria available?

Last edited by joe_b; 03-16-23 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-10-23, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I just got back from seeing it. Pretty big audience tonight and it's raining where I'm at. I had fun with it, but like with most horror movies you have to suspend some disbelief. I think this is my 3rd favorite of the series behind the original and 2022.

There was some good tension and some really gory kills. I know Campbell's story made headlines last year, but with the way this was written it would have made no sense to put Sidney in here. Even Gale Weathers felt kind of forced in just for the sake of having a legacy character back. And I saw she got an EP credit. I did enjoy how Hayden Panettiere was used as Kirby again. Good to see her back acting after her long personal hiatus.

Barrera and Ortega I thought was good here, but I thought Ortega really shined.

The reveal that it was a family of killers being tied into the 2022 movie felt a little contrived just for the sake of making this a "continuation" I did think Mulroney's acting in the reveal was a little over the top and hammy, but I just went with it.

That was a little ridiculous that Chad survived being gutted and Mindy was able to rush to the scene at the end all healed up after being stabbed right in the stomach multiple times. She would be in a hospital bed.

4 stars, and maybe an 8 out of 10. I was entertained, had fun and thought it was worth the time.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-11-23 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-11-23, 09:50 AM

The more I think about the family reveal, the more it makes less sense. How could nobody know what Richie's family looks like? Gale wrote a whole new book about the 2022 Woodsboro events. She didn't stumble into information about Richie? Kirby is an FBI agent specializing in Ghostface killings and she didn't know?
Old 03-11-23, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suspend disbelief? You gotta do more than that! You have to realize that you are watching a live action Looney Tunes movie because you can get slammed in the head with numerous heavy objects and not even sustain a bruise. I imagined little tweety birds flying round Ghostfaces head, and his eyes crossed underneath the mask. Then you can get stabbed numerous times by two people, and survive. You can get stabbed in the belly, with Ghostface twisting the knife for a good long while, and you can run to your companions, not even wincing. Fuck me sideways, but that 3rd act went over a cliff, holding an anvil, and waving bye, bye before the plunge. I guarantee if Ghostface had shoved a nuke up one of the core 4's asses they'd walk out of the mushroom cloud limping. Plot armor? Worse than that. John Wick armor. I mean, I know he has superpowers and all that, but, c'mon ( yes, he is a superhero/villian. Did you see John Wick 3? Yeah, he survived that fall. Right. And doesn't he fall from high in the trailer for John Wick 4? Y'know the new movie coming soon. The one where he's attacked in a shower and he smother's his attacker with his great big balls).
Now, I've only seen it once, which is enough thank you very much, but, when Ghostface was "attacking" in the girl in the apartment, and the boyfriend of whatever the fuck her name was see's what's going on from his window, does he even call 9-1-1? And why the fuck does he just stand there watching? Is it commentary on the Kitty Genovese situation from 1964? Or, is it because he was thinking she's good in bed, but I ain't gonna get gut stabbed because she does kegel exercises?
And, yes, I know, it's a slasher. I've watched all the Friday the 13th's, a couple of the Halloween's, all of the Chucky's, and Nightmare On Elm Streets, I know people are gonna do stupid things, and I know there is plot armor, but this is 2023. Can't they do better? No, they're thinking, we'll do worse! Wile E.Coyote, Daffy Duck, and Tom from Tom And Jerry are our heroes!
Can you tell I was disappointed?
Old 03-11-23, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

In all fairness, smokedragon, shrugging off stomach stab wounds was also a thing in the last movie. It's hard to be surprised they'd double down on that stupidity here. I appreciate the desire to revive this franchise, but it should have been one-and-done or they should have let the franchise die with the fourth movie.

As for the John Wick movies, though they are somewhat grounded, they aren't intended to come across as realistic. I think the same applies to the Scream franchise, even if the last two entries have ramped up the silliness (I do wonder if Scream 3 is their favorite).
Old 03-11-23, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Easily my least favorite in the franchise. I missed Sydney interacting with Gale. She and Gale and Dewey brought humor to the prior films. Overall, there wasn't as much humor this time as there was in the other films, so some of the non-violent scenes were a bit dull. I found it really farfetched that Richie built that shrine and collected past killers' masks and weapons, then his entire family agreed to become serial killers after he died. It was also ridiculous that each of these heroes survived despite some of them being stabbed multiple times and losing lots of blood: Samantha, her sister, Mindy, Kirby, Gale and Chad. In one of these sequels, they're going to surprise us by revealing one of the killers is a killer from a prior film even though we watched that person die. Because what is there left to do at this point? And for anyone thinking of seeing this film in 3D: save your money. I was hoping to see lots of pop-out effects because of the genre, but there wasn't a single moment of a knife, blood or body parts coming off the screen. 2 stars out of 5.
Old 03-11-23, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We saw it in 3d and the only 3d I got out of it was 3 dollars more per ticket upcharge. I actually forgot I was even watching a 3d movie. The worst 3d I've ever paid for.
Old 03-12-23, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

It was good, but I prefer the 2022 more. The change of location was good but the killers reveal was kinda meh for me.

Curious what the film would have been like if Neve had joined.

And this one has opened higher than 2022, so look for another sequel soon.
The following users liked this post:
miller_time22 (03-12-23)
Old 03-15-23, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I enjoyed it for the most part. Some of the "heart to heart" talks between the sisters really brought the film to a screeching halt though. Also, I kind of figured Quinn and Dermot Mulroney were somehow involved since A.) Who else but a cop would have access to 27 year old murderer DNA, and B.) When she mentions the dead brother that was a total give away.

I will admit though I had thought maybe they were Stu's family. Although Quinn wouldn't have known her brother if that were the case.

Also, I thought the opening scene of this was one of the best of the series. At first I thought they were going to go in a "Cult of Ghostface" direction or something where each killer kept taking out another.

Last edited by JTH182; 03-15-23 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

I'm a casual fan of this series. I've seen all the movies, some multiple times, but I barely remember what happens in each one. All I really want out of these is some meta banter, callbacks and a silly mystery. I don't even really care about the kills. Or rather, I like the build up to the kills, but don't care about the actual violence. VI mostly delivered in all aspects. I have some nitpicks, but for the most part my feelings on the series are that 1 is the best and 3 is the worst and the rest are all somewhere in-between.

As for the nitpicks, the killer reveal was one of the lesser in the series. I wasn't really buying what Mulroney was selling. The violence was also a little much for me. It seemed like the brutality was turned up a bit. But the biggest nitpick by far is the ability of the main characters to survive what should be fatal wounds. Gail, Chad and Mindy all surviving frankly sucked. There's no other way to put it. Not that I necessarily wanted any of them to die, but there has to be some kind of stakes. Otherwise what's the point?
Old 03-21-23, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Well, I liked the setup, the locale, some of the themes explored, the more dangerous Ghostface, but it really fell down on execution, with too many implausiblities or plot holes. More than usual. And having 100% of the returning cast survive? I guess that's subverting expectations? But really defies believability, especially something like Chad's attack.

So, for me this falls in the lower half of the series.
Old 03-31-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Finally caught this at the theater this afternoon. I did enjoy it overall since I like the series. The callbacks and references to the previous films were well done and helped me recall some of the events which took place.

My complaints have pretty much been laid out. The film dragged a bit with the 2+ hour run time--the house party near the beginning and scenes to follow seemed unnecessary for the most part. And the multiple survivors from vicious attacks were ridiculous indeed. I got a good laugh out of smokedragon's post above, because he pointed out what was going through my mind. They spent too much time trying to cast doubt on the neighbor guy---him being at the window for an extended period of time being extremely unhelpful, the girls heading to Gail's when it was determined the killer was nearby and one saying "I'll call Danny, he's close to there" only for him to show up late. I'd still watch this again because of my love for slasher films and the quality nature of the tension/kills, but I was slightly let down.
Old 04-24-23, 10:09 AM

The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (04-24-23)
Old 04-26-23, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought this was a weak entry. Probably the weakest of all of them.
Too long.
New cast still bland.
I liked the second half of the opener and the Gale fight was ok but rest of it felt uninspired and lacking tension.
Knifed characters walking around minutes later was ridiculous. Police always showing up right after a killing.
Kirby lacked the charisma from part 4. Left side of her face looked frozen. Mulrooney hams it up.
The change in location offered nothing. The subway scene was repetitive with a weak payoff.
Supposed to take place around Halloween but even with all the costumes it never felt like the holiday. Maybe because of greenery like this.

Really was expecting more from this.

Old 04-27-23, 03:24 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

This was fun. I don't get all the hate this is getting. It's one of the better Scream movies. They did away with the traditional slow build to set pieces and the killers just go nuts straight away. There's not much foreplay. They get right to it. That intense convenience store scene is like 20 minutes in. And I appreciate that. It's something different.

Also has no one connected the dots that the reboot-quel is following the original's road map? 1 / 5 The killer was the victim's BF and his friend. 2 / 6 The killer was the killer's parent. And in the next one I expect it to be someone who is a half brother / sister to Sam & or Tara. Then in number 8 a family member of the victim you don't expect. Probably Sam & Tara's mom.
Old 04-27-23, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Mulroney chewing up the scenery was bad. The last time I saw him chewing it up, on purpose ,was in Living in Oblivion, and that film is a fucking masterpiece. This one was terrible.

I enjoyed 5 but this was one of the worse entries in the franchise.
Old 04-27-23, 05:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

This certainly was brutal in its killing, but that’s all I have to say about this one.
Old 04-29-23, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Just watched it on Paramount+. It was okay but the more I think about parts of the story it was pretty stupid.

Things that have been mentioned by others like neither Kirby or Gale or anyone else piecing together the fact that Sam and Tara just suddenly happened to find themselves amongst Richie’s family? At the very least one of them should have realized his father being around was suspicious.

I liked the New York setting and there were some good kill scenes. Maybe amongst the best in the franchise honestly. The opening was good too. Also agreed that the scene in the convenience store was good and intense.

I also agree that Sidney wasn’t necessary for the plot this time around. I get it that people would have like seeing her, but truthfully how many times do you need to bring back the same characters to do essentially the same thing? Frankly I thought Gale felt pretty shoehorned into the movie and didn’t need to be there other than the filmmakers feeling the need to insert a legacy character.

I’m also not sure what they’re going with regarding Sam’s character. She’s a victim and obviously has some issues. At the same time she’s also the daughter of Billy Loomis and has visions of him plus acts a bit psychotic in her own right. It half feels like they could almost set her up to be involved with the killings in a future film, but that would be so stupid.

Overall not bad but definitely not great. I do feel like the fifth one was better.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-29-23 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-07-23, 01:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, I just watched it on Paramount+. I'm a casual fan of the series and I've enjoyed them all more or less, though the only one I've seen recently was 5 - don't remember the others that well. I didn't like Gale writing a book after she promised she wouldn't in the last movie (she so deserved that punch). I'm not a fan of gore, and this one seemed to have more of that. But otherwise I enjoyed it. I figured the father and daughter were in on it, but didn't realize the son was. Also, who was the dead guy in the bathtub?

BTW, given that everyone significant (aside from the killers) survived at the end (and movie girl who had been stabbed and take to the hospital looked just fine in the final scene), I figured an alternate read would be that everyone (or at least the main character) died, and was simply imagining everyone was alive in an afterlife. [Edit: Nevermind, I had forgotten that moviegirl's girlfriend died.]

Oh and the post credit scene (where movie girl says "not every movie needs a post credit scene") made me laugh.

Last edited by Defiant; 05-07-23 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-07-23, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Just watched it on Paramount+ and I fucking hated it. So, glad I didnt waste my time going to the theaters for this shit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.