Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Creed III (2023, D: Jordan) -- S: Jordan, Majors, Thompson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Creed III?
0%
14.29%
28.57%
42.86%
14.29%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest, Not for me
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Creed III (2023, D: Jordan) -- S: Jordan, Majors, Thompson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

After dominating the boxing world, Adonis Creed (Michael B. Jordan) has been thriving in both his career and family life. When a childhood friend and former boxing prodigy, Damian (Jonathan Majors), resurfaces after serving a long sentence in prison, he is eager to prove that he deserves his shot in the ring. The face-off between former friends is more than just a fight. To settle the score, Adonis must put his future on the line to battle Damian – a fighter who has nothing to lose.

Creed III is the third installment in the successful franchise and is Michael B. Jordan’s directorial debut.
Rating: PG-13

Running Time: 116 minutes

Currently 90% of Rotten Tomatoes after 84 reviews

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creed_iii

Starring:
Michael B. Jordan
Jonathan Majors
Tessa Thompson

Directed by Michael B. Jordan

IMAX screenings for the public started last night and more screenings will start on Wednesday. So putting this up now. If you have time to see one of the early screenings tomorrow, feel free to drop a comment.

I got a ticket for Friday afternoon.

Old 03-01-23, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: Creed III (2023, D: Jordan) -- S: Jordan, Majors, Thompson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I am a Rocky superfan that has grown to love the Creed family as well, so I was pretty much always going to like this--and I did. I will say that the absence of Rocky was fine but did stick out at certain points of the story and it felt like they could have at least dropped a line to explain that he was enjoying retirement or something. He gets a few mentions but nothing to explain why he wouldn't have shown up in person a time or two. Oh well.

Someone mentioned in the other thread about Apollo's other kids and they do finally get a mention here.

Majors was really good in his role and very unsettling. They do a good job of making it somewhat possible for him to end up in the spot he ended up in, which the Rocky series is kind of famous for. Jordan took some chances with some of the staging of the final fight and I think they worked, but I could see some not liking that aspect.

Kind of funny that Stallone said he didn't like how dark they made this when it has nothing as dark as Apollo getting killed in the ring while Rocky holds the towel.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (03-04-23)
Old 03-03-23, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 239 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Creed III (2023, D: Jordan) -- S: Jordan, Majors, Thompson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I enjoyed this more than the 1st sequel, which felt very generic, and thought M Jordan did a solid job directing it (particularly the fight scenes), but the plotting is really, really predictable in a clunky manner. Like, you can see every plot twist coming way before the characters do. When one of the boxers gets injured in an attack, you just know there's going to be a Tonya Harding-style reveal later on. And sure enough, there is. Even the death scene felt kind of cliche for this type of movie. Also, it seemed pretty far fetched that a boxer would get a title shot after not having a single professional bout and having been recently released from a long prison sentence. Maybe he could have had at least one fight to prove himself before then in order to make it a little more believable and less of a corny plot development.

Jonathan Majors was great playing his second big baddie in a big sequel in less than a month. I liked that his character Damian actually had a valid reason for hating Creed and wanting to take him down a notch. Of course, when you think about it, Adonis was actually kind of a douchebag in that it was his actions that led to his friend coming to his aid and then having to spend 18 years in prison because of it (while Adonis ran away and got off scot-free). Add to this the fact that Adonis pretty much then turned his back on him (partly due to his mother withholding Damian's letters from him, which kinda lets Adonis off the hook, but not really). The movie does spend a little time dramatizing Adonis' feelings of guilt over what happened to Damian, but his inner struggle is barely explored, and the Damian character then becomes just a standard thug villain whose primary function is to get Adonis back into the ring for the climactic bout. Their conflict, which is convincingly developed early on, is resolved too simply by having Adonis pummel Damian in the big boxing match and then having Damian tell Adonis that it's all okay between them cuz Adonis was just a kid (when he abandoned him).
Old 03-03-23, 06:19 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Man... Jordan wasn't kidding when he said the third act fight would be influenced by anime.
Dr. DVD (03-04-23)
Old 03-03-23, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

That was a pretty impressive directorial debut by Jordan. I was impressed with the creative shots and cuts he took, especially in that climatic fight scene. That was a pretty cool set up. Boxing movies can easily be very formulaic and predictable, but I think Jordan did enough to make this different and stand out. Majors was really good in this. Dame Anderson was a pretty menacing villain. And Majors is a freak. Those training sequences were pretty jaw dropping. It was a nice and tight 116 minutes. I felt like there wasn't anything extraneous that made the running time bloated. It was edited pretty well.

It was a good mix of expanding Creed's lore with some backstory and also moving forward outside of Rocky. Sad to see Mary Anne Creed die.

Old 03-03-23, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

I liked it a lot but still think it’s the least of the Creed movies - I was a sucker for the Rocky IV revisiting last time and while well acted and directed Creed III really is story wise very similar to Rocky III with the addition of giving the mean, angry villain a personal tie to the champion. (Champ on top of world retires, angry villain goads him into return.)

Loved the direction of the final fight which gave us something rather new for this series after nine (!!!) movies. Majors is great and elevates this quite a lot, Jordan seemed quite subdued to me compared to the fiery performance he gave in Creed I until the final third act, which worked with story I know but kind of left Majors stealing the film.

Also, maybe I’m petty, but the way Rocky was basically erased in this movie didn’t sit well with me (was he mentioned only once?). Especially knowing it seems to be mostly bullshit behind the scenes legal issues that kept Stallone from returning rather than a valid story reason, it just felt like kind of a chump way to treat the man who literally started it all. I don’t think we needed Rocky back to be killed Mickey-style but even just a cameo would’ve felt nice.

It’s a testament to the strength of the actors, directors and scriptwriters that the movie is still a solid 4 **** of 5 for me, though. I don’t really feel like we need a Creed IV as the arc is really wrapped up here and Jordan talking about a “Creed universe” leaves me cold (do we really need one?), but generally this has been a great continuation of the never ending Rocky saga.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 03-04-23 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-04-23, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Caught this yesterday and gave it 3 1/2 out of 5 or a solid B+. While this doesn't have Rocky in it as character, it is without a doubt a Rocky movie. Pretty much every single plot point for this was taken from Rocky III, even the element of the main character discovering his parental figure was hiding something from him before that figure dies. Like all movies in this universe after the first installment, it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief to work . No way Damian just gets a shot like he did, and no way the wife somehow got a huge music career in such a short amount of time and gets her own label. Granted, being married to the champ probably helped her career, but that and other things seemed a bit outlandish. But hey, you watch these movies for escapism. All Rockyverse movies have more punches thrown and landed within the first minute of the fight than the entirety of real boxing match these days.

Creative choices I really admired:

- The final fight being made to look like a one on one brawl. I thought it worked quite well. Rockyverse purists might not, but I dug it and have been watching the series since I was a kid.

-The exclusion of Rocky himself from the story. I know others don't care for it, but I think having him be in a movie that's all about Adonis solidifying himself as his own person would have just been fan service.

-The choice to have the deaf daughter in so many scenes and do so much with subtitles. For a Rocky movie, that's definitely a first.

Speaking of the daughter, I am thinking from the end of this that they may be exploring the possibility of taking the series into the world of female boxing. Adonis' story seems complete, but they can jump ahead in time next movie and focus on his daughter trying to make it as a lady boxer despite being deaf. That way it can still be a Creed movie without Adonis being the Creed doing the fighting. It would also mirror the real life daughter of Muhammad Ali, and maybe give us a Million Dollar Baby type movie without the bummer ending.
JeremyM (03-05-23)
Old 03-04-23, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there is likely a lot we are missing from the Stallone story--Stallone himself announced he was retiring from the role after the release of Creed II, but of course he has said that many times. He was also set to direct Creed II for a time after Coogler stepped down and then Stallone stepped aside to have "someone younger" and I am sure there is more to that story also.

As far as the mentions of Rocky, there was just the one direct mention by Dame, that is correct. But Adonis did the mirror shadowboxing and repeated the "one punch at a time, one round at a time" mantra that Rocky once taught him while getting ready for the fight. There was also a poster of Rocky in Creed's gym (the photo of Rocky that was used as the poster for Rocky III). And the only Rocky theme I noticed was the interpolation of the Final Bell theme--I liked how the previous two Creeds sprinkled in the classic themes but I guess they're pretty much out since Rocky is.

But from a story perspective, yes, there were absolutely times where it's hard to believe Rocky wouldn't have been there. I guess he must have just sent flowers to the funeral and called it good. That said, as a huge Rocky fan I do think it worked fine without him, they maybe could have just had a line having Adonis say Rocky reached out about Dame and Adonis needs to handle this on his own or something.

I have no idea where they would take a Creed IV. There was talk of doing a Drago film (the "Creed-verse") and that still seems possible since he once again didn't get the title (and he would have creamed poor Felix). Maybe Adonis can fight some cocky MMA fighter or something, but the real-life versions of those have been duds so not sure it would work.
Old 03-04-23, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Caught this yesterday and gave it 3 1/2 out of 5 or a solid B+. While this doesn't have Rocky in it as character, it is without a doubt a Rocky movie. Pretty much every single plot point for this was taken from Rocky III, even the element of the main character discovering his parental figure was hiding something from him before that figure dies. Like all movies in this universe after the first installment, it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief to work . No way Damian just gets a shot like he did, and no way the wife somehow got a huge music career in such a short amount of time and gets her own label. Granted, being married to the champ probably helped her career, but that and other things seemed a bit outlandish. But hey, you watch these movies for escapism. All Rockyverse movies have more punches thrown and landed within the first minute of the fight than the entirety of real boxing match these days.

Creative choices I really admired:

- The final fight being made to look like a one on one brawl. I thought it worked quite well. Rockyverse purists might not, but I dug it and have been watching the series since I was a kid.

-The exclusion of Rocky himself from the story. I know others don't care for it, but I think having him be in a movie that's all about Adonis solidifying himself as his own person would have just been fan service.

-The choice to have the deaf daughter in so many scenes and do so much with subtitles. For a Rocky movie, that's definitely a first.

Speaking of the daughter, I am thinking from the end of this that they may be exploring the possibility of taking the series into the world of female boxing. Adonis' story seems complete, but they can jump ahead in time next movie and focus on his daughter trying to make it as a lady boxer despite being deaf. That way it can still be a Creed movie without Adonis being the Creed doing the fighting. It would also mirror the real life daughter of Muhammad Ali, and maybe give us a Million Dollar Baby type movie without the bummer ending.
To be fair, Adrian was practically a mute in the first film, so there is a bit of a history...

I would say that Bianca getting her own label is totally plausible, it's pretty common in the music world though most of them are just vanity labels with a single release or two before they are forgotten about. But a few do break some stars.

I thought they did just enough to where you could buy Dame getting the title fight just as they did just enough to buy mediocre club fighter Rocky getting the fight in the first one. But I can see where many wouldn't buy it, too.

I also liked the style choice when they went one-on-one in the fight although it was a little jarring when that ended and it was suddenly the final round.
Old 03-04-23, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I have no idea where they would take a Creed IV.
Does the idea of a deaf, female boxer related to two legendary boxers sound appealing? They sure seemed to be setting that up for some future installment.
Old 03-04-23, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's done pretty darn well at the box office with a $50m+ opening - the best of the three movies.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/box-off...-2-1235277748/

I guess that means "Creed IV" is a sure thing because money, but creatively, I'm just not sure there's enough gas in the tank to carry on, as Creed himself went from "young kind" to "retired champion" who refers to himself getting older several times in Creed III. While I enjoyed the scenes with his daughter quite a lot, carrying on with a SECOND legacy series starring her seems a stretch. That said, these days when everything has to be a universe or a franchise I'm sure they'll try it or something like it.
JeremyM (03-04-23)
Old 03-04-23, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't realize Amazon owned it now since they own MGM, so yeah, this thing is going to be rode hard.
Old 03-04-23, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still holding out for "Paulie And The Robot: Ex Machina". Burt Young is still alive, people! There's STILL TIME!
Old 03-04-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
It's done pretty darn well at the box office with a $50m+ opening - the best of the three movies.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/box-off...-2-1235277748/

I guess that means "Creed IV" is a sure thing because money, but creatively, I'm just not sure there's enough gas in the tank to carry on, as Creed himself went from "young kind" to "retired champion" who refers to himself getting older several times in Creed III. While I enjoyed the scenes with his daughter quite a lot, carrying on with a SECOND legacy series starring her seems a stretch. That said, these days when everything has to be a universe or a franchise I'm sure they'll try it or something like it.

I was only one of three people in the theater at my screening. But, it was noon on a Friday.
Old 03-04-23, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

I just walked out of the theater and I feel... Empty. Like there's a chunk in the middle missing. When the fight was starting I legit looked at my watch and thought to myself, only an hour 20 minutes in, he loses this one and wins the next one. That's boxing stories, he has to lose first. I guess they did surprise me by just having him win.

Saw it in IMAX and I'll see at least once more on IMAX and eventually own it.

The scenes where it was just them was fantastic.

Totally loved the movie, I'm just wondering where the middle went.

Old 03-05-23, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

The movie is just okay...not great, not awful. I'm surprised at how many critics and fans alike are raving over this film. It's pretty much ROCKY III minus the humor and fun (why Michael B. Jordan decided to make such a somber film is anyone's guess).

Also, I would like someone to explain to me how Bianca's hearing is better in this film than the prior two...when the prior two films established she had progressive hearing loss that would eventually lead to her going deaf? She can hear people in Creed III that she's NOT EVEN LOOKING AT.
Old 03-05-23, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I loved it. I felt Rocky not being in it made a lot of sense as my biggest fault with the film is Creed coming out of retirement. He came off like the bully in the end and the only purpose it served is to take Dame’s one shot at success away from him. I can’t see Rocky pushing him to do it; Dame definitely played dirty to get where he was, but I felt bad for him in the end.
Old 03-06-23, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,129 Likes on 786 Posts

I thought the first half of Creed III was incredible. I dare say even better than the first Creed. Majors and Jordan are great together. Damian getting the title shot was a little hard to buy, but I was willing to let that slide.

Everything after that though felt super rushed. Majors practically exits the film after he wins the title and turns into a supervillain. I would have liked even just 5 minutes of him as the champ going on tv, telling his backstory and dragging Creed's name through the mud. Instead the way it plays out is Creed decides on his own the only way he can resolve things is by challenging Damian. I didn't even think Damian was made to look so that dangerous. He cheats a little in the first fight, but otherwise I don't have any real reason to believe Creed can't beat him. Lip service is paid to Creed being retired and of his game, but that was more of a case of the movie telling me something instead of showing me.

I did think the final fight itself was pretty neat and overall I thought Jordan did a great job directing the movie. He really gave the movie a different feel, especially compared to Creed II which felt like it was just aping the first. I look forward to seeing what Jordan does in the future.
Dr. DVD (03-06-23)
Old 03-06-23, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that seems to be unanimous is that Majors was utilized much better here as a villain than in the new Ant-Man. Both he and Jordan have stated they want to do more together, I just hope it doesn't involve variants of Kang and Killmonger.
Old 03-07-23, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 314 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Dame Anderson was a pretty menacing villain.
SHE was in this?!

Old 03-09-23, 03:15 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Creed already broke ground for Amazon, with the latest installment in the MGM movie franchise, Creed III, racking up a $100M-plus global opening and setting a box office record for the tech giant. Now Creed could spawn an Amazon universe spanning both film and TV. There have been meetings with franchise star and filmmaker Michael B. Jordan about various Creed-related projects for the past year, sources said. The plans for the scope of the universe have gotten bolder in the wake of Creed III’s big debut. Reps for Amazon and Jordan declined comment.

Details are sketchy because some of the conversations are still in exploratory stages, but we hear that an anime series connected to the Rocky spinoff IP is in the works, and there are ideas for a companion live-action TV series. Also percolating is a potential project centering on Adonis Creed’s daughter Amara, who was played by deaf actress Mila Davis-Kent in Creed III, making her film acting debut.

As previously announced, there has been a Drago spinoff movie in the works at MGM, written by Robert Lawton. That film would center on Rocky Balboa’s foe, Russian boxer Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren), and his son Viktor Drago (Florian Munteanu), who was introduced as Creed’s adversary in Creed II. There had been some chatter that the Drago offshoot could lend itself to a series but, according to sources, the intention remains to keep it as a movie. So far, a script has been commissioned, but it is unclear whether it would get made.

Of course, there is also the prospect of more Creed feature installments, with various other ideas also thrown around for live-action and animated movies.

Jordan told Deadline last week at the Creed III premiere that “building the Creed universe is something that I’m really excited about.” Through three movies, the Creed franchise is approaching the half-billion-dollar mark at the global box office.

Building a Creed universe could be a test case showcasing Amazon’s ambitions for MGM, which the company acquired for $8.5 billion a year ago. Since the deal closed, Amazon Studios has been actively discussing mining the MGM library of IP, starting with 007’s Road to a Million, a competition reality series based on the iconic spy, which was greenlighted immediately after the transaction was completed.

And there is the mothership Rocky franchise. There is nothing tangible yet, but there have been on-and-off talks about exploring the iconic boxer’s story — including his origins — for years, starting long before MGM was acquired by Amazon. If and when something comes together, the franchise’s creator and star Sylvester Stallone is expected to be involved.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/michael...on-1235282120/
Old 03-09-23, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still don't get the desire for a Rocky prequel. Everything we care to know about his past is present (no pun intended) in the first film. Maybe a film about a young Mickey could work, I don't know.

The Drago film could be interesting and perhaps a show about Creed's daughter.
Old 03-10-23, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought this was ok. But bugged the hell out of me is they way they fought... like no defense and having their hands always low kinda turned me off.

I like Majors and will continue to watch all his work.
Old 03-11-23, 12:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
IBut bugged the hell out of me is they way they fought... like no defense and having their hands always low kinda turned me off.
unrealistic boxing scenes is as expected a trope for this franchise as the training montage.
Old 03-11-23, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

Second time on Imax before moving on to Shazam next week. All Dame wanted was a chance. He realized he could have been free this whole time and still lost, and Creed served it and hadn't stolen anything from him. He made his peace and is ready to move on and live out the rest of his life. When Dame first wins the first thing he does is look at Creed for approval and he's all vulnerable. Expertly made movie.

I also. Found it interesting how Rocky is all like I gotta do this and Adrian is like No Rocky and Creed goes I gotta do this and right away I can't remember her name goes You do what you gotta do. Two very different women. I like Adrian 2.0 better.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-11-23 at 10:57 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.