Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you’re surprised got bad reviews? (Public, critics)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-27-23, 06:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

I know many swear off these aggregate sites like metacritic or rotten tomatoes, but I’ll admit I’m very conscious of how I spend my money and frankly if it gets bad reviews, then I can wait. I’m a slave to it, what can I say.

But, some movies you love to pieces and surprised it took such drubbing from critics and public alike.

For me: since I’m watching it, I gotta say when I saw RT score of 59% for Taken I was taken aback. It was a genuinely taut thriller that was highly successful. Spawned two sucky sequels and turned a fine actor into an action star at 60 or whatever. But, it was a damn good, highly entertaining movie.
Old 02-27-23, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts
Re: Movies you’re surprised got bad reviews? (Public, critics)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel

Man of Steel

56% on Rotten Tomatoes

I admit, the 1st time I saw it 10 years ago, I wasn't in love with it. But, I think I watched it from the dated standpoint that Superman should still be that dorky boy scout with the big glasses from the 1970s. Now that I own it on 4K disc and have seen several more times, I really think it's a good and different take on the Superman story. I know there are a lot who don't like it and that's fine. Film is subjective. But, I thought it was well done and Cavill really shined in this. I am surprised the critics score on this was so low. Kevin Costner was a good Jonathan Kent and there was a really great and emotional scene between him and the young actor who played Clark. I recall this board really trashed it 10 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Dr. DVD (02-27-23), OldBoy (02-27-23)
Old 02-27-23, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Man of Steel

56% on Rotten Tomatoes

I admit, the 1st time I saw it 10 years ago, I wasn't in love with it. But, I think I watched it from the dated standpoint that Superman should still be that dorky boy scout with the big glasses from the 1970s. Now that I own it on 4K disc and have seen several more times, I really think it's a good and different take on the Superman story. I know there are a lot who don't like it and that's fine. Film is subjective. But, I thought it was well done and Cavill really shined in this. I am surprised the critics score on this was so low. Kevin Costner was a good Jonathan Kent and there was a really great and emotional scene between him and the young actor who played Clark. I recall this board really trashed it 10 years ago.

Interestingly, I was surprised that Batman vs. Superman only got 29% on RottenTomatoes. Granted, the theatrical version left much to be desired, and I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 56-63% would have been more understandable, but not the slamming it received. Maybe it's just because I went in with low expectations due to seeing the score beforehand, but I found the movie as a whole, especially the last 35 minutes or so, to be quite entertaining.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
BobO'Link (02-28-23), DJariya (02-27-23), PhantomStranger (02-27-23)
Old 02-27-23, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,024 Posts

“Weird Science” has a 56% on Apple TV (doesn’t show the score on RT). That is a goddamn travesty.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-03-23)
Old 02-27-23, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I always find it funny when fantastic movies get a handful of bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and all the other critics certify them fresh. Makes them wonder if they’re good at their job

Example - The Dark Knight. There are some “rotten tomato” ratings, but I mostly focus on the ones from 2008, when the movie was released. The reviews after 2008 I imagine are from people who want to be “different” with their critique, when they already know it’s a highly rated movie. Anyways, just imagine you’re a movie critic who initially reviewed it in 2008 and said it was a bad movie. And then you see every other movie critic, public opinion, and Academy Awards disagree with you haha

Last edited by MLBFan24; 02-28-23 at 07:02 AM.
IBJoel (02-28-23)
Old 02-27-23, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 710 Likes on 581 Posts

Scarface (1983)
Old 02-27-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 618 Likes on 477 Posts

I was surprised to find out that History of the World: Part I was originally trashed when it was first released.

Originally Posted by DJariya

Man of Steel

56% on Rotten Tomatoes

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Interestingly, I was surprised that Batman vs. Superman only got 29% on RottenTomatoes. Granted, the theatrical version left much to be desired, and I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 56-63% would have been more understandable, but not the slamming it received. Maybe it's just because I went in with low expectations due to seeing the score beforehand, but I found the movie as a whole, especially the last 35 minutes or so, to be quite entertaining.
Although both are flawed, I very much enjoyed MoS (although the Nolan-esque timeline was not as well implemented as it could have been) and BVS (the latter improving exponentially with the Ultimate Cut, even if it doesn't erase all it's flaws). Superman was still at his core a boyscout, but the more cynical world around him made him very rough around the edges (as in the killing of Zod, his callous intervention in a foreign country, etc). As I recall, before the suits at WB gunned the gas pedal, the goal Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan had was for Clark to gradually mature into the iconic Superman we know and love. That's why the first movie in the DCEU was called a Man of Steel instead of Superman.

In any case, there are a lot of great moments in both films. I loved Costner and Lane as Ma and Pa Kent. Cavill fit this iteration of Superman perfectly. I could have watched even more of the extended Krypton prologue. Affleck and Irons have great chemistry as Bruce and Alfred. And it was great seeing the Trinity together once Gal Gadot finally suited up as Wonder Woman.
Old 02-27-23, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Gemini Man, seemed like everyone here hated it. I loved it.
Old 02-27-23, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

I really shouldn't be surprised that Freddy vs. Jason sits at 42% on RT and 37% on Metacritic. Horror movies tend to take a beating from professional critics, but I think I speak for a lot of genre fans when I say this franchise mash-up totally rocks. It understands that people paid money to see Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees beat the snot out of each other, and it delivered along with some pretty cool kills and that iconic scene in the cornfield.

The story probably makes as much sense as any Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street movie, but it gets that anyone going to see it will probably be a fan one or both franchises already. Knowing who the audience was going to be was key since it could just cut to the chase and not bog down the plot with drawn-out recaps of the histories of the two antagonists. As far as I'm concerned, FvJ is the gold standard for IP crossovers.
The following 3 users liked this post by L Everett Scott:
Boondock Saint (03-01-23), John Pannozzi (03-03-23), PhantomStranger (03-03-23)
Old 02-28-23, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^I'm still hopeful to see a documentary about the MANY scripts that were made for that movie!

Back to topic, The Homesman was one of the more standout films of the decade to me. But it appears that I'm the only one who loved it.
John Pannozzi (03-03-23)
Old 02-28-23, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 710 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Gemini Man, seemed like everyone here hated it. I loved it.

Is that the Wlll Smith movie?

I hated that and one of the worst movies ever made.
Old 02-28-23, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I have NEVER not seen or gone to the movies base on someone rating/bad reviews. If the trailer does nothing for me. There is a good chance I won't see it.
Old 02-28-23, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 824 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
I have NEVER not seen or gone to the movies base on someone rating/bad reviews. If the trailer does nothing for me. There is a good chance I won't see it.
this.
I don’t really give a shit about official reviewers. I don’t even think i could name a current one except for that Grace broad that everyone mentions all the time.
I’m still interested in comments and thoughts here or from friends, but it usually doesn’t sway me much unless I’m really on the fence.
Old 02-28-23, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,018 Likes on 809 Posts

Give its popularity, I've always been a little surprised at how middling the reviews for Love, Actually were. And how negative the response to The Mighty Ducks was.

Originally Posted by Draven
“Weird Science” has a 56% on Apple TV (doesn’t show the score on RT). That is a goddamn travesty.
It's 56% on rottentomatoes, 69% audience score.

IBJoel (02-28-23)
Old 02-28-23, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

Me after clicking on this thread and seeing people defend Zack Snyder movies.
IBJoel (02-28-23)
Old 02-28-23, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's 56% on rottentomatoes, 69% audience score.
Weird - I looked it up and got a blank score, but it’s there now. And the audience score is ridiculous too - that movie is a classic. It’s probably my most quoted movie ever. My wife and I say “he don’t even have his license, Lisa!” and “I did my toes” on a regular basis.

Old 02-28-23, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,054 Posts

One of my favorite movies growing up, Far and Away, is a wonderfully beautiful American frontier epic that sits at a paltry 50% Rotten score.
EddieMoney (03-02-23)
Old 02-28-23, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
One of my favorite movies growing up, Far and Away, is a wonderfully beautiful American frontier epic that sits at a paltry 50% Rotten score.
I saw that movie in the theater on a 70mm screen that arced around the first few rows. It was absolutely epic.
GoldenJCJ (02-28-23)
Old 02-28-23, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,066 Likes on 620 Posts

I was shocked Eternals got a drubbing. It was something different for the MCU and had a greater emphasis on theme over spectacle.
Reverse it for No Way Home.

Top Gun: Maverick was similar but opposite. Pretty fun movie. I'm surprised though how it's been held up as the Messiah of cinema from all corners.

Also Howl's Moving Castle: Possibly my least favorite Miyazaki film, but it's revered above much of his other work. Too much of a plot and character retread from Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke for me.
John Pannozzi (03-03-23)
Old 02-28-23, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always heard Howl's in the vein of "lesser Miyazaki", the final act was kind of a mess from what I recall and the critics weren't exactly over the moon with it during its release window.
Old 02-28-23, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,066 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've always heard Howl's in the vein of "lesser Miyazaki", the final act was kind of a mess from what I recall and the critics weren't exactly over the moon with it during its release window.
I always see it talked about in the top three or four with Totoro, Mononoke, and Spirited Away

I admit I've never read critic reviews of it (or any at all prior to watching it a few years ago), but social media seems to praise it plenty. I'd imagine it's because those audiences skew younger. I don't see a lot of talk about The Wind Rises, for example.
Old 02-28-23, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'd agree the younger crowd that "grew up with it" probably appreciates it more than an old timer ("Geriatric Millennial") like myself. But after Mononoke and Spirited Away it was a disappointment.
IBJoel (02-28-23)
Old 02-28-23, 02:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^I'm still hopeful to see a documentary about the MANY scripts that were made for that movie!

Back to topic, The Homesman was one of the more standout films of the decade to me. But it appears that I'm the only one who loved it.
that was Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones, right? I can’t remember, but I think I loved it.
Old 02-28-23, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
that was Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones, right? I can’t remember, but I think I loved it.
It took risks that I thought paid off well.
Old 02-28-23, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Last Action Hero - 38% TOMATOMETER, 47% Audience Score
CRITICS CONSENSUS
Last Action Hero has most of the right ingredients for a big-budget action spoof, but its scattershot tone and uneven structure only add up to a confused, chaotic mess.
I think it's a win, I love this movie... but I didn't see it as a spoof of action films, but more of a contrast between movie magic fantasy and every day reality. I would still love to see a sequel (not necessarily with Arnold, but more about following what happened and who has the other part of the ticket?) Though I'm sure many agree with the ratings.

I thought it was a bold move for Arnold to make a film like that. I think it's heads and tails better than Eraser or 6th Day which have similar rankings.
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
Boondock Saint (03-01-23), IBJoel (02-28-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.