Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Past Lives (2023, D: Song) S: Greta Lee, Teo Yoo, John Magaro

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-22-23, 08:13 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

From director Celine Song and starring Greta Lee, Teo Yoo, and John Magaro. PAST LIVES – Coming soon. #PastLives

RELEASE DATE: Coming Soon
DIRECTOR: Celine Song
CAST: Greta Lee, Teo Yoo, and John Magaro

Nora and Hae Sung, two deeply connected childhood friends, are wrest apart after Nora's family emigrates from South Korea. 20 years later, they are reunited for one fateful week as they confront notions of love and destiny.
This was a big hit a Sundance and just premiered at the Berlin Film Festival to acclaim as well.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/past_lives

Very much looking forward to this one.
Old 02-22-23, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Past Lives (2023, D: Song) S: Greta Lee, Teo Yoo, John Magaro

really looking forward to this. The raves are so large it might be around for awards season even though itís an early release.
Old 02-22-23, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Celine Song's name sounded familiar to me earlier so I just assumed this was her latest film and moved on. Just looked her up and realized its her first film, and with her only prior work being some non-descript writing credits on THE WHEEL OF TIME and an off-broadway play, so clearly I was thinking of someone else. Plus she's Canadian, so there's that. I'm also very intrigued by the fact that all three leads in this are around 40 years old (elder millennials, I guess?), which should lend even more emotional weight to the story assuming they're playing their ages in this. Nice to be party to an era where filmmaking is really open to everyone, the technology is largely foolproof, and stories like these by storytellers like her no longer have to disappear into the DTV wasteland.
Old 06-10-23, 05:15 PM

This was fantastic and one of the best films of the year so far. I hope A24 campaigns for this during award season. Greta Lee deserves some recognition.

This expands on June 23.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
DJariya (06-10-23), Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 06-11-23, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I want to see this, but it's only playing in a few theaters in the Los Angeles area. I live about 40 miles outside of LA. So hopefully it expands to my area.
Old 06-12-23, 08:17 AM

Someone please bump the thread with the VOD date.

Another bullshit slow-as-fuck rollout, which will still result in NOBODY going to see this outside of NY and LA.

And we know itís a great movie too.

Old 06-12-23, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Someone please bump the thread with the VOD date.

Another bullshit slow-as-fuck rollout, which will still result in NOBODY going to see this outside of NY and LA.

And we know it’s a great movie too.
I think it is going to be a pretty large expansion on the 23rd. I've seen advertising at all my local AMCs. Not much different than the EEAAO releae strategy.
Old 06-21-23, 11:25 PM

Wide release this weekend.
Old 06-21-23, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Since I'm caught up with all the big releases and I saw No Hard Feelings last Saturday, I'll be looking to check this out on Saturday. It's playing at my 2 main theaters that I frequent.
Old 06-24-23, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk God

This was a really great movie. Just a simple story about an emotional connection between two friends that spans 24 years. Lee and Yoo had great chemistry and gave great performances. Another winner from A24.

If you need a break from blockbusters and action films, this is 100% worth seeing.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 06-24-23, 11:50 PM

A note from Celine Song

Hi you,

I’m writing to you from my apartment in New York City, the city I live in, to wherever you are, the city you live in or happen to be in right now, to ask you to go see my movie Past Lives in theaters. That’s the headline. That’s the point of this whole thing: go to a physical movie theater — a theater near you! — and see my movie.

This is the first movie I’ve ever made, and I love it very much. I love it for everything it is, flaws and rookie mistakes and limitations and all — I love it for the talented, kind, beautiful people I got to make it with — but I love and appreciate and am grateful for this movie most profoundly because it has taken me to so many different cities, so many different theaters near you. It’s a movie that’s inspired by my own life, and it’s about many things — first love, lives not lived, growing up, letting go of (and making space for) all the many versions of a self, past and present, that exist inside every one of us — but it’s also fundamentally a movie about cities: how unique they all are, how much they have in common, and how very, very far they are from one another.

Much of my movie happens in New York City, this place I’ve called home since 2011 when I moved here to become a playwright. As is true for many, many others, New York is one of the great loves of my life. A lot of the movie happens in Seoul too, this place I once called home, a place that had faded almost completely in my memory since I left in 2000 until I went back in the fall of 2021 to make this movie. There are moments in the film in Toronto as well, a place I’ve spent much of my childhood, teen-hood, and young adulthood. There’s even a sequence in Montauk, a place that changed my life in ways I couldn’t possibly have predicted and won’t detail here at the risk of dropping a spoiler before you’ve seen the film.

As much as this movie is a map of a certain corner of my emotional life, it’s also a quite literal map of the places I’ve been, the path I’ve charted through space and time, and so it feels fitting that the process of releasing the movie has been its own sort of journey around the world, a diplomatic world tour. I’ve felt like a foreign dignitary showing up in strange new places with this movie — this little document about the cities I contain within myself — requesting an exchange with the locals. Come, gather round, let me tell you about where I come from and where I’ve been.

But, of course, I hope, at the end of the day, that the experience of watching this movie is not primarily an experience of me. My wish for you if you go and see this movie is that it takes you on a journey within yourself: to all the places you might have gone, or the places you’ve been without even realizing it, or the places you feel maybe, perhaps, inexplicably, you’ve been in another life. My hope is that you go see this movie in your city — wherever you happen to be right now — and that it makes you alive to the fact that you are so very big and so very small: you contain multitudes and yet you are rooted so cruelly and beautifully to one particular spot in space and time.

I realize that it’s not always so easy getting to a theater near you. Sometimes, it’s not even very near. You have to get in the car or get on the train or hire a babysitter or carve out the time — you’ve got to plan the trip, because you’re going somewhere.

In my case, a theater near you is comically literal. My apartment in New York is directly above a movie theater that is currently playing my movie, and so every time I leave my apartment to do anything, I walk by the movie theater and I see people coming out or heading in, and I play a little game with myself: which of these people are going to see Past Lives and which of them are going to see, I don’t know… Transformers? Which of these people are my neighbors? Which of them live in my building? How many times have I unwittingly shared an elevator in the past few weeks with someone who has just seen my movie? Every person I see in my building and on my street has been suddenly full of possibility and intrigue — I feel an odd intimacy with them, because I know that it’s possible that sometime recently or sometime soon, they might go downstairs to our movie theater — the theater near us — and visit some of the places I’ve been. They might know me for an hour or so, and, through a kind of osmosis, I might know them. The thought that there are people all around the globe — or at least in many parts of it — who are having a similar experience is almost too much for me to take. It’s surreal and mortifying and enlivening.

Wherever you are, whatever city you happen to be in, if you take the trip to see Past Lives, please know that I am forever grateful, and I am so excited to get to know each other and travel together, however briefly, in the dark. It is my honor and my deep privilege to be in a theater near you.

See you there.

Celine Song
DJariya (06-24-23)
Old 07-05-23, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

This was really good.
Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 07-18-23, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

I had to drive an hour to see this, but it was worth it. Hands down the best movie I've seen this year. The last 20 minutes are more thrilling than most of the action spectacles I've seen this year. And it's just a couple of people sitting around and talking. What an ending.

This sort of thing is obviously subjective, but I could see myself and my experiences in life and love in all three of the main characters. Nora grappling with fate and the choices she's made, Hae Sung's longing and inability to let go of a memory that no longer exists, and Arthur's feelings of inadequacy in the face of a woman who loves him are some of the realest emotions I've felt in a movie theater in a long time. Highly recommended.

The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
DJariya (07-18-23), Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 07-19-23, 05:54 AM

Fun fact... the real life Arthur is starting to make it as a writer. Song's husband, Justin Kuritzkes, has two upcoming films by Luca Guadagnino. Challengers (s: Zendaya) and Queer (s: Daniel Craig).
Old 07-19-23, 10:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

That final scene had more palpable tension than all this summerís ďblockbustersĒ combined.
Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 08-08-23, 06:04 PM

Digital is 2 weeks from today.

August 22
Old 08-24-23, 10:21 PM

Finally out on digital. Been a long wait all summer.
Old 08-25-23, 04:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

This was phenomenal. Greta Lee is super cute.
Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 08-25-23, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

This is not a movie that has a lot of replay value, but I do want to support this movie. It comes out on BD September 19th

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=33013

It has a decent amount of bonus material including a commentary with Song, Lee and Yoo.

I heard Yoo speak English during some of the press for the movie and from the movie you would never guess that he was fluent in English. But, I read his background that he's from Germany and studied in the States and UK.
Old 08-25-23, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is not a movie that has a lot of replay value, but I do want to support this movie. It comes out on BD September 19th
Why don't you think this has replay value?
Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 08-25-23, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Why don't you think this has replay value?
Just for me personally, I don't tend to re-watch very many dialogue-driven movies.
Old 08-26-23, 07:25 AM

Anyway, folks. Rent this motherfucker, itís really good.

the end. Lol
Old 08-27-23, 03:26 PM

Watched this again. This is one of the most romantic movies I have seen maybe ever.

Making a great romantic drama is so very difficult.

Hubbub (10-20-23)
Old 09-12-23, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Wife and I saw this over the weekend, thought this was very good.
Old 10-19-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

Just watched this on a cross country flight. It's really, really good. Has kind of a Lost in Translation vibe for underlying sadness and lives not lived. It's very affecting and emotional. One of my favorites of the year so far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.