Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trap (2024, D: M. Night Shyamalan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 06:27 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Shyamalan signed a first look deal with WB. The first film will be Trap. His daughter is also making her directorial debut.

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros Pictures Group has inked a multi-year first-look directing and producing agreement with two-time Oscar-nominated filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan, whose movies have grossed $3.3 billion at the box office.

In a career spanning four decades, Shyamalan has the rare distinction of having film open at No. 1 in each of those decades. Most recently, he saw his seventh No. 1 opening at the box office with Universal’s Knock at the Cabin, which currently counts $40 million worldwide off a $20M production cost.

The pact with Shyamalan comes amid a string of talent deals made recently by Warner Bros. Pictures Group co-chairs and CEOs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy; previous first looks include with Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road as well as two-time Oscar-nominated filmmaker Baz Luhrmann, both first reported by Deadline.

Under the new agreement, Shyamalan and his Philadelphia-based production company Blinding Edge Pictures, run by president of production Ashwin Rajan, will develop original projects for the filmmaker to produce and/or direct for WBPG production divisions Warner Bros Pictures and New Line Cinema. Projects currently in the pipeline at Blinding Edge include Trap, Shyamalan’s anticipated next project as a director, which is dated for theatrical release on August 2, 2024.

There’s also The Watchers, which we first told you about, the forthcoming directorial debut of his daughter Ishana Night Shyamalan; that pic will start production this year and is dated for a June 7, 2024 release. In addition, Blinding Edge will continue to ramp up production with an eye to finding auteur-driven genre projects.

“Night is one of the most iconic and influential directors of his generation and an auteur in every sense of the word,” De Luca and Abdy said jointly. “From The Sixth Sense through Split to his latest chiller Knock at the Cabin, he’s one of the few directors in contemporary cinema whose name alone promises a bold, singular vision, compelling original storytelling and a provocative, surprising and entirely unique experience at the theater. We couldn’t be more thrilled to welcome him to the Warner Bros. family, and look forward to an exciting collaboration with Night and the entire Blinding Edge team.”

“Where I write and direct is my home,” says Shyamalan. “Disney and Universal, where I’ve made most of my films, will always be home and family to me. Warner Bros. has a storied history of cinema. Through its recent experiences, the company has rediscovered its love and appreciation for filmmakers, and the impact of the theatrical experience. We all win when movies succeed in theaters. I believe David Zaslav, Michael De Luca, and Pam Abdy have dedicated themselves to unique filmmakers, and to filling theaters all around the world for years to come.”

Chasing a lifelong passion born from the 8 mm camera given to him by his father, Shyamalan started making movies while still a student at New York University, an effort that would yield his 1992 labor of love Praying with Anger, followed by his 1998 Philadelphia-shot feature Wide Awake. His third film, The Sixth Sense, released in 1999 shot him out of a canon as a blockbuster filmmaker, grossing $700M WW off a $40M budget and notching six Oscar nominations including directing and original screenplay nods for Shyamalan. Other big pics include Signs ($408.2M), The Village ($256.7M), and The Visit. His 2000 spin on the comic-book action thriller Unbreakable would ultimately spawn two millennial follow-ups, Split and Glass, the combined trio of movies earning $773.5M WW.

On the TV side, Shyamalan serves as EP, showrunner and has directed five episodes of Apple TV+’s popular thriller series Servant, which is currently in its fourth and final season. The series finale is March 17. The thriller’s second season tripled its first-season audience, becoming one of the streamer’s most watched series. Servant follows a Philadelphia couple in mourning after an unspeakable tragedy creates a rift in their marriage and opens the door for a mysterious force to enter their home.

Shyamalan is repped by Range Media Partners and Johnson Shapiro Slewett & Kole.
https://deadline.com/2023/02/m-night...al-1235262667/
Old 10-26-23, 12:25 PM

Re: Trap (2024, D: M. Night Shyamalan)

Josh Hartnett is teaming up with director M. Night Shyamalan for his upcoming project that's currently filming in Canada. Keeping things pretty hush hush, the film is described by Shyamalan as a “psychological thriller set at a concert” per Film Updates. Originally known as Trap the project is currently being filmed under the codename Good Grades as the director is yet to announce the title of his project. Shyamalan is putting a lot into the film, as he's not only serving as director, but as producer as well. Plus, he's opted to fund the project himself after procuring an agreement from SAG-AFTRA in order to film the project during the ongoing actors’ strike.

So far, Shyamalan has revealed small details regarding the film. Hartnett will play a father heading to a musical concert with his son. However, things quickly go awry as Hartnett gets caught up in psychological events that will take him for a ride. Singer and songwriter Saleka Shyamalan will play opposite Hartnett as the artists whose concert his character attends with his son. This is her second time working with her director father, as she recorded original songs for his 2021 film Old.
https://collider.com/josh-hartnett-c...an-next-movie/
Old 10-26-23, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

So M. Night Shyamalan is pulling a Will Smith and forcing his kids on us whether we like it or not.

A Trap, indeed.
Old 10-26-23, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So M. Night Shyamalan is pulling a Will Smith and forcing his kids on us whether we like it or not.

A Trap, indeed.
At least she is a grown woman and already has a career as a musician.
Old 10-27-23, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts

I enjoyed Old, and despite some problems with the story, enjoyed Knock At The Cabin. Like a few directors, Shyamalan's movies have a style that I enjoy watching, evening if the movie overall isn't ultimately successful.
Old 10-27-23, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Every single time I see a movie by Shyamalan, I get excited. I know he's execution isn't perfect but he's one of few directors consistently making psychological thrillers anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (10-27-23)
Old 04-18-24, 11:23 AM

A new M. Night Shyamalan experience. #TrapMovie only in theaters this summer.

Listen to original songs from Saleka as Lady Raven: www.ladyravenmusic.com

Warner Bros. Pictures presents a new experience in the world of M. Night Shayamalan—“Trap” —featuring performances by rising music star Saleka Shyamalan.

A father and teen daughter attend a pop concert, where they realize they’re at the center of a dark and sinister event.

Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, “Trap” stars Josh Hartnett, Ariel Donoghue, Saleka Shyamalan, Hayley Mills and Allison Pill. The film is produced by Ashwin Rajan, Marc Bienstock and M. Night Shyamalan. The executive producer is Steven Schneider.

The director of photography is Sayombhu Mukdeeprom (“Call Me by Your Name”). The production designer is Debbie de Villa (“The Hating Game”). It is edited by Noëmi Preiswerk and the music is by Herdĭs Stefănsdŏttir (“Knock at the Cabin”). The music supervisor is Susan Jacobs (“Old”); the costume designer is Caroline Duncan (“Old”). The casting is by Douglas Aibel (“Asteroid City”).

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents A Blinding Edge Pictures Production, An M. Night Shyamalan Film: “Trap.” The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, in theaters only nationwide on August 9, 2024 and internationally beginning on 1 August, 2024.
Old 04-18-24, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Interesting premise. Didn't even realize that was Hartnett.
Old 04-18-24, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Interesting premise. Didn't even realize that was Hartnett.
Did you not see Oppenheimer?
Old 04-18-24, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Did you not see Oppenheimer?
I fell asleep through most of it.
Old 04-18-24, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I fell asleep through most of it.
He has like the 5th biggest part in the movie.
Old 04-18-24, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That trap seems like a good use of taxpayer funds.
Old 04-18-24, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
He has like the 5th biggest part in the movie.
I only remember Cillian, RDJ, Pugh's tits and Einstein and an angry Blunt.
Old 04-18-24, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

Looks like this is the nepo baby project.
Old 04-18-24, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
One of two for the family this year.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...light=watchers
Old 04-18-24, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts

Ah, the arena is First Ontario Centre (aka Copps) in the Hammer, but the exterior shots were filmed at the Skydome.
The trailer did nothing for me.
Old 04-18-24, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

The twist is in the preview. What a twist!
Old 04-18-24, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Not gonna lie, it got me.
Old 04-18-24, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 710 Likes on 524 Posts

The twist does seem a little on-the-nose considering the filmmakers involved. Maybe there’s another twist where you find out that the trailer twist isn’t the real twist! It’s a double-twist! I guess this game is now the m.o. of the entire Shyamalan Clan (uh-oh, new title for an animated twist series right there), which makes me think they’d at least be clever enough by now to tweak our expectations by seemingly spoiling the movie in the trailer.

As Coral confirmed, this definitely has a ‘Canadian’ feel to its settings and surroundings.
Old 04-18-24, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
oh man, I knew one of his kids was directing that Dakota Fanning movie. I didn’t realize another of his kids is the singer in this. I’m guessing we’re going to get a lot of lingering, gratuitous, shots of the singer singing her songs in this.
Old 04-18-24, 08:35 PM

Is all the music in this considered Trap music?
Old 04-18-24, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

I hope in some way it's part of the Unbreakable/Split/Glass franchise. Final shot we get Ludwig getting his groove on to Lady Raven. lol
Abob Teff (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Not gonna lie, it got me.
As soon as he introduced himself to the souvenir guy, I knew something was up. Once the souvenir guy said there was a killer, I was, like, "He's the killer"

Then they leaned in. So what could be next? He's a cop? Nah. The singer is in on it.
whotony (04-23-24)
Old 04-18-24, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

That was an interesting trailer. I guess the only way to sell it right off the bat is that Harnett's character isn't the good guy and loving father. Can't really play around it. I'm sure there are some out there who think that trailer just ruined the entire movie for me.
Old 04-19-24, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I think it looks great but it's an M. Night flick so it could go either way. I didn't know his daughter was the singer either. That's pretty cool.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.