Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Argentina, 1985 (2022, D: Mitre) S: Darín, Lanzani

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-24-23, 11:14 AM

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Argentina, 1985 is inspired by the true story of public prosecutors Julio Strassera, and Luis Moreno Ocampo, who dared to investigate and prosecute Argentina’s bloodiest military dictatorship in 1985. Undeterred by the military’s still considerable influence within their fragile new democracy, Strassera and Moreno Ocampo assembled a young legal team of unlikely heroes for their David-vs-Goliath battle. Under constant threat to themselves and their families, they raced against time to bring justice to the victims of the military junta.
Golden Globe winner for Best Non-English Language Film, Oscar nominee for International Feature Film.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/argentina_1985
Old 01-24-23, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 275 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Argentina, 1985 (2022, D: Mitre) S: Darín, Lanzani

I kinda stumbled into Ricardo Darin movies a few years ago -- presumably like others via better-known stuff like SECRET IN THEIR EYES, WILD TALES and EVERYBODY KNOWS. Wasn't searching out his work, but he kept standing out, and I eventually became aware of his looooong history in movies. Saw him at TIFF 2019 promoting a very funny and politically savvy heist film called HEROIC LOSERS, which seemed Oscar-worthy right from the get-go. Turns out that became Argentina's official selection for the Oscars that year, but didn't make the cut as far as I know. Guess it just took a while longer. This looks equally good, if much more serious.
Old 01-24-23, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: Argentina, 1985 (2022, D: Mitre) S: Darín, Lanzani

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I kinda stumbled into Ricardo Darin movies a few years ago -- presumably like others via better-known stuff like SECRET IN THEIR EYES, WILD TALES and EVERYBODY KNOWS. Wasn't searching out his work, but he kept standing out, and I eventually became aware of his looooong history in movies. Saw him at TIFF 2019 promoting a very funny and politically savvy heist film called HEROIC LOSERS, which seemed Oscar-worthy right from the get-go. Turns out that became Argentina's official selection for the Oscars that year, but didn't make the cut as far as I know. Guess it just took a while longer. This looks equally good, if much more serious.
Nine Queens is the better heist/con film and has the better Darin performance, to me anyway. Wild Tales is another fave. Secret in their Eyes is very rewatchable.