DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Third "Knives Out" Mystery (D: Johnson) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/657024-third-knives-out-mystery-d-johnson.html)

dex14 01-05-23 09:04 AM

Third "Knives Out" Mystery (D: Johnson)

Since it is already contracted for... might as well start a thread.

During the press tour for Glass Onion, Johnson seemed to indicate he was going to make it his next film and not do something in between.

"I think everybody assumed I’d have a couple other random ideas - unrelated projects - that I’ve been kicking around. But, honestly, over the past couple of months, the most exciting creative thing to me right now is that third movie," Johnson said. "I think I’m going to hop right into it. Not because of a contractual obligation, but, genuinely, that’s the shiny object I find my nose pointed toward right now."
https://collider.com/knives-out-3-ri...-writing-soon/

After being asked whether he had any ideas for Knives Out 3, Johnson revealed he is "just starting to figure out what the next one is going to be."

The murder-mystery director added the third movie will be the last in the contract with Netflix, but he "doesn't see it as a trilogy" and instead hopes to carry on with the franchise "for as long as [they] can:"

"We have one more movie in our contract with Netflix, but I don't see it as a trilogy. I see it as an ongoing thing. As long as Daniel [Craig] and I are having fun and coming up with something new and exciting every time, we'll keep doing this as long as we can."

After the success of 2019's Knives Out, Johnson reached a $450 million deal with Netflix for the next two movies in the franchise to head to the streamer.

Knives Out star Daniel Craig was then asked whether he expects to play Detective Blanc for as long as he did James Bond, which was 15 years. The British actor revealed that the future prospects have been "discussed at length," and he hopes to continue making more for as long as the audience is entertained:

"I mean, I should be so lucky! We've discussed it at length and we'd love to keep on making these Knives Out films. As long as we can keep making people laugh, we'll do it."
https://thedirect.com/article/knives-out-3-update

“I’ve got a Moleskine notebook that I carry everywhere and I’m constantly jotting stuff down in it,” he says. “The first 80 percent of the process, for me, is scribbling in notebooks and structuring it all out. I’m trying to get ahead. Even when I’m doing all the publicity for this film, I’m trying to start building up a structure, an idea, so that after New Year, when it’s time to actually get to work, I’m hopefully not just staring at that horrible blank page. But you always are, I guess.”
https://deadline.com/2022/11/glass-o...ew-1235178514/

Johnson says he’s ready to think about the next mystery. “I’m already starting to, not because I feel like, ‘Boy, I better get the next one going,’ but because it’s so much fun,” he says. “The other thing that gets me genuinely excited is Knives Out and Glass Onion are so different, and that’s something that harkens back to Christie in another way. How she would always find ways of completely shaking it up from book to book and making it exciting for the reader. She was creatively challenging herself each time.”

Likewise, Johnson wants each of his films to have its own personality. Be ready for the third installment of the Knives Out franchise to stand out, he says. “Beyond setting, beyond bikinis versus sweaters, it truly is going to be trying something different narratively and tonally. I’m already excited about doing the next one.”
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articl...ok-inspiration

Josh-da-man 01-05-23 04:15 PM

Re: Third "Knives Out" Mystery (D: Johnson)

It annoys the hell out of me that they consider these to be "Knives Out Mysteries" instead of "Benoit Blanc Mysteries" in the marketing and titling. I think I read that Johnson dislikes it, too.

Should have gone back and renamed the first one Knives Out: A Benoit Blanc Mystery like Lucas did with Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and gone with that.

dex14 01-05-23 04:24 PM

Yup. He said: “Honestly, I’m pissed off that we have ‘A Knives Out Mystery’ in the title. You know? I want it to just be called ‘Glass Onion.'”

GoldenJCJ 01-05-23 04:29 PM

As long as Craig continues to do them, I’ll continue to watch.

Maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt can play a train whistle or something in the next movie.

dex14 01-05-23 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 14215589)
Maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt can play a train whistle or something in the next movie.

:lol:

I do hope Joe can make actually it into one of these beyond just sound. He did an acting spot on Johnson's new show, Poker Face, so that is the first time they've worked together in that capacity in the ten years since Looper.

I'd also find it amusing if Rachel Weisz, who worked with Johnson on Brothers Bloom, played a suspect opposite of her real-life husband.

Count Dooku 01-06-23 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14215580)

Should have gone back and renamed the first one Knives Out: A Benoit Blanc Mystery like Lucas did with Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and gone with that.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is the stupidest fucking thing there is. Every time I see that title, it is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Nesbit 01-07-23 01:20 PM

what if the alternative was everytime we get an indiana jones film it’s labeled as another raiders of the lost ark adventure ?

dex14 01-26-24 09:29 AM

It looks like they are shooting to go in to production this year.

T-Street is gearing up to make the third installment of the Benoit Blanc franchise for Netflix later this year. The yet to be titled film will again be written and directed by Johnson, who helmed the franchise predecessors Knives Out and Glass Onion. Daniel Craig will return in the lead role of the sleuth.
https://deadline.com/2024/01/knives-...er-1235805133/

Decker 01-26-24 09:32 AM

Cool. Most fun rolling casting news every year is the next season of The White Lotus and the next Knives Out sequel.

RichC2 01-26-24 10:44 AM

Agreed. They're somehow the two casts that everyone seems to want to be apart of. That and it almost seems that way for Only Murders in the Building.

Decker 01-26-24 10:58 AM

Kenneth Branagh had to look at his casting sheet for A Haunting in Venice and wondered what went wrong.

RichC2 01-26-24 11:04 AM

They saw the cast for Death on the Nile featured Armie Hammer and Russell Brand and started questioning Branagh. :lol:

Josh-da-man 01-26-24 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14379826)
They saw the cast for Death on the Nile featured Armie Hammer and Russell Brand and started questioning Branagh. :lol:

Too bad Danny Masterson is in prison. He'd fit right in.

d2cheer 01-27-24 03:35 PM

Hopefully the do a better job this time around.

Decker 01-28-24 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 14380410)
Hopefully the do a better job this time around.

The last two both got Oscar Nominations for Screenplay. They did okay.

RocShemp 01-28-24 06:45 AM

Loved the first two. Looking forward to a third. Minor nitpick, I wish these were called "Benoit Blanc Mysteries" instead.

d2cheer 01-28-24 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14380536)
The last two both got Oscar Nominations for Screenplay. They did okay.

My hope is for a better mystery than the last one. It was way to easy to figure out.