Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Them! (D: Giacchino) - remake

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-04-23, 07:23 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Oscar winning Up composer Michael Giacchino will be making his big screen directing debut with a brand new reboot of the 1954 sci-fi man-eating monster movie Them! at Warner Bros.

Giacchino is currently meeting with writers in hopes of getting the production up quite soon.

In the original Gordon Douglas directed film, which was also a Warner Bros. release, a huge nest of irradiated ants are discovered in the New Mexico desert and become a national threat when two young queen ants and their consorts escape to set-up new nests. The national search that ensues culminates in a battle in spillways and storm drains of Los Angeles.

“There’s always a movie in your mind that never leaves your head,” Giacchino tells Deadline, “For me, that’s Them! It wasn’t until much later in life until I learned what it was about — the nuclear age.”

“What I love about Them! is exactly what it’s called: Them!,” he adds, “It’s about the other, the unknown which one refuses or can’t understand.”

“The current version of Them! is about immigration, and to tell a story about the subject through a lens of this insane science fiction monster movie,” teases Giacchino about what his early vision is for the pic.

The composer of big franchise films such as Spider-Man: No Way Home, Star Trek, The Batman, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and more has been looking to make tentpoles of his own for quite some time. Last year he directed the Marvel Studios/Disney+ special Werewolf by Night which follows a lycanthrope superhero who fights evil using the abilities given to him by a curse brought on by his bloodline. Giacchino also previously helmed the short Monster Challenge and an episode of Paramount+’s Star Trek: Short Treks.

Giacchino also plans to score Them! in the same way that he scored Werewolf by Night, Monster Challenge and Star Trek: Short Treks. He also plans to have his filmmaker brother, Anthony Giacchino, involved in the production of Them!. Anthony Giacchino directed the Disney+ documentary about his composer-turned-filmmaker brother, Director by Night. Anthony Giacchino is also an Oscar winner, having won for the 2021 short subject documentary, Colette.

The Giacchino brothers made movies as kids around their Edgewater Park Township, NJ home. Michael would direct, and Anthony would star along with their neighborhood friends. Michael Giacchino worked side jobs as a teenager to save up to buy film stock. He used an exacto knife to make scratches on the film strips in order to make laser and spark special effects. He graduated from the School of Visual Arts in NYC where he studied filmmaking and later held jobs at Universal marketing and Disney publicity. Eventually he segued to composing for videogames, one highlight being the Playstation game of Jurassic Park: The Lost World which Steven Spielberg personally hired him on. It was through videogames that J.J. Abrams came to know Giacchino and hired him to compose for his TV series Alias and Lost as well as big pics Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Mission: Impossible III. After delivering music to the highest grossing movie in the pandemic, Spider-Man: No Way Home ($1.9 billion), Giacchino had four tentpole scores last year in Jurassic World: Dominion, Pixar’s Lightyear, Thor: Love & Thunder and The Batman.

“Michael Giacchino is a unique talent. We’re excited to be working with him and have him at the studio,” said Warner Bros Pictures President of Production and Development Jesse Ehrman who is overseeing the project on the Burbank, CA lot. Ehrman caught Giacchino’s Werewolf by Night on Disney+ and was blown away.

Giacchino is repped by CAA and Gorfaine/Schwartz.
https://deadline.com/2023/01/michael...os-1235211743/

Seems like a good fit after seeing what he did with Werewolf By Night.
Old 01-04-23, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Re: Them! (D: Giacchino) - remake

I am always in for a giant bug movie! (Even a remake.)
Old 01-04-23, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Iím down for this. Giacchino and giant bugs? You canít go wrong.
Old 01-05-23, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Wonder if that ant's sound from the 1954 film be in the remake. Thought it sound creepy when I watch it as a kid.
The following 2 users liked this post by dom56:
[email protected] (01-05-23), rexinnih (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I heard the original is beloved by a lot of old school fans. Wonder how this news would go over with them.
Old 01-05-23, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, as one of those old school fans who grew up with memories of this, I'm on the fence. Are they doing a serious take (like the original) or will it be a silly/stupid spoof? Sounds like they intend for it to be a political allegory. I mean, c'mon, can't you just make movies?
The following 2 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
BobO'Link (01-06-23), Wolf359 (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I heard the original is beloved by a lot of old school fans. Wonder how this news would go over with them.
Thumbs down for this old school fan. The original is perfect. When are they gonna remake films that actually could have been much better?

“What I love about Them! is exactly what it’s called: Them!,” he adds, “It’s about the other, the unknown which one refuses or can’t understand.”
Excuse me, but they absolutely understood what they were fighting--giant ants! Why does Giacchino think the entomologist and his daughter were so involved in the case? Because they knew what they were dealing with, they did not refuse such knowledge in any way and they understood the ants very well!
Unless, of course, he was talking in general about the nuclear age, in which case--never mind.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-05-23 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-05-23, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Remember watching the original as a kid and looking at any bug differently. Need a callback to the original sound also.
Old 01-05-23, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Anyone still alive from the original movie?
Old 01-05-23, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^
Me
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts

The 9-foot ant is, but all the 8-foot ones died.
Old 01-06-23, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

The original Them! is a good movie because it has an intelligent script about intelligent characters. I don't think that can be improved by a remake.

However, a remake would be in color with CGI ants, so people would buy it.
Old 01-06-23, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Every movie ever made that has some kind of invading creature is political.

Slightly different, but think about movies made by the USA vs Japan that involve radiation. Japan's movies involve the radiation creating giant monsters that wreak havoc and death. USA movies about radiation make superheroes.
Old 01-06-23, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I love the old creature features, with Them! being at or near the top of the pile. As with any remake, I'll wait to see what happens before trying to judge. Hopefully it turns out well.
[email protected] (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I say bring it. I'd be curious what direction they will take.

Besides, if it's a total bust I still have the original on DVD.
Giantrobo (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I'm in for a remake.

I remember seeing the OG film on TV as a kid and enjoying it. It was...no pun...Ground Zero for 50's Nuclear Fear Films.
Old 01-06-23, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonder if Universal have plan for remake of their big bug flick Tarantula, The Deadly Mantis.
Old 01-06-23, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Well, as one of those old school fans who grew up with memories of this, I'm on the fence. Are they doing a serious take (like the original) or will it be a silly/stupid spoof? Sounds like they intend for it to be a political allegory. I mean, c'mon, can't you just make movies?
But...THEM! was.. Never mind...
Old 01-06-23, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

This is the best scene in the film...no way the remake can come close to it:

Old 01-06-23, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Make me a sargeant and charge the booze, make me a sargeant and charge the booze."
Old 01-06-23, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

“The current version of Them! is about immigration, and to tell a story about the subject through a lens of this insane science fiction monster movie,” teases Giacchino about what his early vision is for the pic.
If they want a political allegory, how they have a title like Them and think "immigration?"
Old 01-06-23, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Joan Weldon who was in the original movie passed away in Feb. 2021.
Old 01-07-23, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If they want a political allegory, how they have a title like Them and think "immigration?"
"Them" are the immigrants. There will probably be right wing villains who view immigration as a "threat" and "invasion". How they add ants to the mix is anyone's guess.
Old 01-07-23, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
"Them" are the immigrants. There will probably be right wing villains who view immigration as a "threat" and "invasion". How they add ants to the mix is anyone's guess.
It only makes sense if the allegory is that "Them!" are immigrants, and militaristic heroes defend America from "them". Burn "them" to death with flame throwers in the giant network of tunnels under the border. That movie would be a hit with some people, but I doubt it would get good reviews in the mainstream media.

The other possible allegory on immigration would be to welcome "them" into our country because they're escaping a murderous queen. But that's a bad match for people who think giant radioactive ants are scary.

Old 01-07-23, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
It only makes sense if the allegory is that "Them!" are immigrants, and militaristic heroes defend America from "them". Burn "them" to death with flame throwers in the giant network of tunnels under the border. That movie would be a hit with some people, but I doubt it would get good reviews in the mainstream media.

The other possible allegory on immigration would be to welcome "them" into our country because they're escaping a murderous queen. But that's a bad match for people who think giant radioactive ants are scary.
Whatever the ant threat is, it will be against the backdrop of southern border. It will be one of those movies that takes a social issue and presents it in an entertaining way. A kid sees the movie and thinks it's a cool scary movie. When that kid gets to high school the social studies teacher has the class discuss how the movie reflects U.S. immigration policy.
Like Avatar is an allegory for U.S. policy in dealing with Native Americans. Or The Wizard of Oz is allegory for gold standard vs silver standard. Invisible Man is allegory for Metoo. etc.

I'm betting there's no giant ants. There will be some kind of horror element related to ants. Giant bugs won't work today. It would have to be a secluded setting with no cell or internet service. Once word got out military would take them out toot sweet. Giant bugs burn real good. They're not indestructible like Godzilla.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.