Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 335 Likes on 273 Posts
re: Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

I just saw the film and holy carp, this really is an incredible film, not just a great Godzilla film, but a shockingly well acted film. You will get emotional at the end of the film, even if you predicted the ending well before the end sequences in the film.
The following 3 users liked this post by Inhumans99:
DJariya (12-16-23), RocShemp (12-16-23), tanman (12-19-23)
Old 12-16-23, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,887 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I’m an old-school Godzilla fan (my favorite toy growing up was the Shogun Godzilla - saw it for $300 in a toy store a few years back and still kick myself for not buying it) but the movies were always too rough of a watch for me. Just looked too fake. But I love the concept of Godzilla and have read everything I could get my hands on about him so I feel well versed.

This movie was fucking fantastic. Saw it in a pretty full theater at the Alamo and it was a blast. The sound design is incredible and there was a long moment of silence toward the end and you could have heard a pin drop.

I was invested in those characters and that story and the humans were incredible compelling throughout. And I loved that it dealt with the national trauma of the war and then Godzilla arriving so it’s like the war isn’t ending.

After Barbie, this is easily my favorite movie of the year.

And I took my 19-year-old who has never seen a Godzilla movie and he loved it too.
The following 4 users liked this post by Draven:
csant (12-17-23), DJariya (12-16-23), RocShemp (12-16-23), tanman (12-19-23)
Old 12-17-23, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 795 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I just hope studios/distributors don't take the wrong message from this film's success and simply assume "what the people want is more kaiju movies, so let's flood the market with kaiju".
I would not be surprised at all if this is what happens, distributors getting the wrong takeaway from this and deciding to pick up not just kaiju but every Japanese/Asian super-duper-FX movie they can find. I’m a pretty big consumer of Asian movies for nearly four decades now, and I know a lot of other folks here probably beat me by a country mile, but I’m sure we’ve all sat through movies we absolutely knew could connect with North American audiences if they were given a graduated release like this. Sure, maybe they wouldn’t do MINUS ONE-level business because, after all, this film has an global icon at its core, but the fact that people are clearly responding to way more than just the giant monster (which is practically the only thing people respond to in the American G-films because the characters are so one-dimensional) should be a wake-up call that audiences might now be primed — at least in part thanks to the globalized offerings available on streaming, plus seeing Asian films win Oscars, not to mention the increasing diversification that comes with every new generation on this continent — to finally watch “foreign” films on the big screen without thinking twice, even in the original language.

But yeah, I should probably just sigh and anticipate the immediate importation of all the latest ultra-robo-man-mecha-kaiju “movies” adapted from whatever kids TV shows are popular there right now, because that’s what a bunch of American suits will think people are getting from this film.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
Ash Ketchum (12-17-23), IBJoel (12-18-23)
Old 12-19-23, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

I'm still going to be really disappointed if this doesn't get some kind award love if what y'all are predicting will be true. I feel like this would be so huge to Japanese cinema and of course to Toho themselves and the big G if this was nominated for best foreign pic. Or, hell I can dream, best pic. It's definitely my favorite of 2023.
Old 12-19-23, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,155 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I'm still going to be really disappointed if this doesn't get some kind award love if what y'all are predicting will be true. I feel like this would be so huge to Japanese cinema and of course to Toho themselves and the big G if this was nominated for best foreign pic. Or, hell I can dream, best pic. It's definitely my favorite of 2023.
It's literally impossible for this to be nominated for best international picture. It's not eligible. It is eligible for best picture, but I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a very strong year for best picture contenders.

Also, Japan just won best international feature 2 years ago.

Last edited by rocket1312; 12-19-23 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,088 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I would not be surprised at all if this is what happens, distributors getting the wrong takeaway from this and deciding to pick up not just kaiju but every Japanese/Asian super-duper-FX movie they can find. I’m a pretty big consumer of Asian movies for nearly four decades now, and I know a lot of other folks here probably beat me by a country mile, but I’m sure we’ve all sat through movies we absolutely knew could connect with North American audiences if they were given a graduated release like this. Sure, maybe they wouldn’t do MINUS ONE-level business because, after all, this film has an global icon at its core, but the fact that people are clearly responding to way more than just the giant monster (which is practically the only thing people respond to in the American and most other Toho G-films because the characters are so one-dimensional) should be a wake-up call that audiences might now be primed — at least in part thanks to the globalized offerings available on streaming, plus seeing Asian films win Oscars, not to mention the increasing diversification that comes with every new generation on this continent — to finally watch “foreign” films on the big screen without thinking twice, even in the original language.

But yeah, I should probably just sigh and anticipate the immediate importation of all the latest ultra-robo-man-mecha-kaiju “movies” adapted from whatever kids TV shows are popular there right now, because that’s what a bunch of American suits will think people are getting from this film.
Fixed that for you.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (12-19-23)
Old 12-19-23, 06:02 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 627 Likes on 541 Posts

Black & white version of the film will been screening in Japan starting January 12th.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTK:
asianxcore (12-30-23), story (12-20-23)
Old 12-19-23, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 827 Likes on 644 Posts

Funny, I just got the UHD BD of The Mist. So happy the B&W version got its own UHD disc. Here's hoping whoever releases Minus One on UHD BD does the same.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-19-23 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-19-23, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
It's literally impossible for this to be nominated for best international picture. It's not eligible. It is eligible for best picture, but I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a very strong year for best picture contenders.

Also, Japan just won best international feature 2 years ago.
Why isn't it eligible for international?
Old 12-19-23, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Why isn't it eligible for international?
Because the way best international feature works is that each country chooses one and only one film to submit for consideration. These choices were made months ago. Minus One was not Japan's submission.
Old 12-19-23, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because the way best international feature works is that each country chooses one and only one film to submit for consideration. These choices were made months ago. Minus One was not Japan's submission.
Why were they made months ago? Almost year before the Oscars? And Japan should have waited (obviously if they could have) because choosing Either Minus One of The Boy and the Heron would have played really well to the American audience and would have brought a lot of attention to Japanese cinema. This is all my very uninformed opinion of course.
Old 12-19-23, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,595 Likes on 2,281 Posts

It's a very strong year for best picture contenders.
It is?
Old 12-19-23, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why were they made months ago? Almost year before the Oscars? And Japan should have waited (obviously if they could have) because choosing Either Minus One of The Boy and the Heron would have played really well to the American audience and would have brought a lot of attention to Japanese cinema. This is all my very uninformed opinion of course.
The submission deadline was October 2nd. For better or for worse, that's just how it works. Even then, nothing prevented Japan from submitting either of those movies, but they chose Perfect Days instead.

As for bringing attention to Japanese cinema, again, Japan just won this award two years ago with Drive My Car. And overall they've won more times than any country not named France or Italy. Japanese cinema is doing just fine.
Old 12-19-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The submission deadline was October 2nd. For better or for worse, that's just how it works. Even then, nothing prevented Japan from submitting either of those movies, but they chose Perfect Days instead.

As for bringing attention to Japanese cinema, again, Japan just won this award two years ago with Drive My Car. And overall they've won more times than any country not named France or Italy. Japanese cinema is doing just fine.

How many Americans have heard of Drive My Car?

....how many Americans have heard of Godzilla?
Old 12-19-23, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 511 Likes on 366 Posts

Haven't a few foreign films been nominated for Best picture in the past?
Old 12-19-23, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 827 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Haven't a few foreign films been nominated for Best picture in the past?
Here's a List of foreign-language films nominated for Academy Awards.
Old 12-19-23, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many Americans have heard of Drive My Car?

....how many Americans have heard of Godzilla?
If people don't know Drive My Car then that just tells me that people don't really care about best international feature. And if that's the case, then why does it even matter? I'm sure it would be nice for the filmmakers to get the recognition, but in the grand scheme of things, Japan is already a power of world cinema and Godzilla is one of the most well known and beloved franchises in the world.

And heaven forbid people actually check out some of the more obscure movies that might get nominated, but I don't get the sense that greater exposure for worthy material is actually what motivates these sorts of conversations. It's more about having our tastes validated by a network tv special that no one seems to like but is somehow also the most important thing ever.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​
​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Ash Ketchum (12-21-23), IBJoel (12-20-23)
Old 12-20-23, 07:54 AM

Received 5,110 Likes on 3,449 Posts

If people don't know Drive My Car then that just tells me that people don't really care about best international feature. And if that's the case, then why does it even matter? I'm sure it would be nice for the filmmakers to get the recognition, but in the grand scheme of things, Japan is already a power of world cinema and Godzilla is one of the most well known and beloved franchises in the world.

And heaven forbid people actually check out some of the more obscure movies that might get nominated, but I don't get the sense that greater exposure for worthy material is actually what motivates these sorts of conversations. It's more about having our tastes validated by a network tv special that no one seems to like but is somehow also the most important thing ever.
​​​​​
Old 12-20-23, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 262 Likes on 189 Posts

Don't think it be nominated for best picture but it might be for tech award like special effect and sound.
Old 12-20-23, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,887 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Don't think it be nominated for best picture but it might be for tech award like special effect and sound.
It had the most impressive sound design I heard all year. And I'm including Oppenheimer, where the nuclear explosion was decidedly underwhelming while Minus One about stopped my heart (and my son jumped multiple times too).

Saw them both at the Alamo Drafthouse too.
Old 12-20-23, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

The submission deadline was October 2nd. For better or for worse, that's just how it works.

Why is it that way for foreign consideration yet American productions have until December 31st? "Just how it works" is kind of a B.S. answer IMO and insinuates the Oscars are biased towards American productions.
Old 12-20-23, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why is it that way for foreign consideration yet American productions have until December 31st? "Just how it works" is kind of a B.S. answer IMO and insinuates the Oscars are biased towards American productions.
​​​​​​Believe it or not, I don't actually make the rules, so I can't give you much beyond a b.s answer. Sorry, it's just how it works.
​​​​​
​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-21-23)
Old 12-20-23, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,595 Likes on 2,281 Posts

It’s probably because the Oscars ARE biased towards American productions.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Ash Ketchum (12-23-23), IBJoel (12-21-23)
Old 12-21-23, 02:48 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 627 Likes on 541 Posts

Godzilla Minus One Producer Shuji Abe Passes Away at 74

http://4NN.cx/.205766
https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2307680/full/
Old 12-21-23, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 188 Posts

Saw this today. Amazing. All that everyone has said before, emotional, well acted/written and Godzilla thrown in. I can see a Best Pic nomination for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by rexinnih:
Dr. DVD (12-22-23), Draven (12-22-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.