Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare (2024, D: Ritchie) S: Cavill, González, Ritchson, Golding

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare (2024, D: Ritchie) S: Cavill, González, Ritchson, Golding

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 939 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare (2024, D: Ritchie) S: Cavill, González, Ritchson, Golding

I saw this yesterday and thought it was fun. Really liked the score.
Old 04-25-24, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,881 Posts
Re: The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare (2024, D: Ritchie) S: Cavill, González, Ritchson, Golding

This news is about a week old. But, it looks like this is only getting a North American theatrical release. Amazon Prime bought the international rights and are at some point going to make it a streaming exclusive overseas. No date yet.

https://movieweb.com/guy-ritchie-mov...countries-why/

While The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is getting a full theatrical release in the U.S. (courtesy of Lionsgate), Prime Video has exclusive rights to distribute the movie internationally. Irritatingly, the film is being withheld from international cinemas and will stream exclusively on Prime Video. This is nothing new, and modern audiences have come to accept streaming-exclusive releases, especially in the wake of streaming platforms like Netflix and Prime Video producing their own content. However, international audiences are frustrated that their viewing experience feels downgraded, compared to American audiences, simply due to their region.

All of this could be forgiven by fans if Prime Video had announced a streaming premiere date for
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, but currently, the international release date is still unconfirmed. While U.S. fans are enjoying watching Henry Cavill and Alan Ritchson mindlessly blow up Nazis, international audiences are left in the dark about when they'll be able to watch the film.

Old 05-06-24, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk God

This will be coming on PVOD on Friday

It's a massive box office flop for Lionsgate. Only $19M box office. They fucked this movie hard by only releasing it in 4 territories.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt5177120/
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (05-16-24)
Old 05-06-24, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I don't think it helped that one of the stars started getting mouthy towards a certain % of the people that may have seen this.

Also movies like this are so quick to streaming now; many may think why bother go to the theater unless it is a huge event movie.
Old 05-06-24, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I didn’t see any advertising for this. If not for this thread, I’m not sure I would have even heard about this movie.
Old 05-07-24, 12:46 PM

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I don't think it helped that one of the stars started getting mouthy towards a certain % of the people that may have seen this.
Who and what did they say?
Old 05-07-24, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I went to the theater and saw it a 2nd time yesterday before it leaves theaters.

Previously, I mentioned that I attempted to see this at an Early screening weeks ago and I was pretty tired. Turns out after seeing it in full yesterday, I fell asleep for the 1st 2 acts on my 1st attempt.

Anyway, being fully awake this time, I loved it. Too bad Lionsgate totally screwed up distribution of this and it made no money. Very tongue and cheek, lots of bloody kills, humor and all kinds of mayhem.

Only issue I had was that Til Schweiger was supposed to be this big bad villain and he ended up being pretty tame.

The end credits that showed who the real life characters that these were based on was an interesting touch.
Old 05-10-24, 04:15 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,104 Likes on 920 Posts

Wow, was this good! Typical Ritchie movie which is ok by me. I’ve liked most of his stuff over the years and I love he likes to work with same actors. This was surprisingly good. Carey Elwes is sure getting work these days. Ritchson and Cavill were great.
Old 05-12-24, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 713 Likes on 491 Posts

Just finished it and thought it was great! Definite Inglorious Basterds feel.

To bad it did so poorly at the box office.
Old 05-14-24, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,129 Likes on 786 Posts

Yeah, I thought this was kind of dull. For a men-on-a-mission movie there was pretty much zero tension. The girl was glared at menacingly by Til Schweiger and one guy got shot in the shoulder, but otherwise it was just Henry Cavil and friends going around and mowing down Nazis with silenced machine guns with little to no resistance. This should have been an incredible story given the real life history of it all, but instead it just felt really slight and inconsequential.

Relative to Ritchie's recent output, I'd say it slots behind Wrath of Man, The Gentlemen and the Covenant. It's a more competently put together movie than Operation Fortune, which was kind of a mess, but I thought Operation Fortune was more fun overall. I didn't know. It just didn't work for me.
GoldenJCJ (07-20-24)
Old 06-02-24, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 325 Posts

Saw this on the week of release.

Although Director Guy Ritchie's 121-minute Nazi-stomping romp is entertaining & (surprisingly) breezy, it isn't anything all that memorable.

Henry Cavill & Alan Ritchson absolutely steal every scene they are a part of though.
Old 06-06-24, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

This was fun and entertaining, as long as you didn't think about it too much. For example:
Spoiler:
Once they were on the boat that's loaded with fuel and ammo, why couldn't they just blow it up from the inside? 
Old 07-20-24, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I enjoyed this but I feel like it could have been better. Ritchie was definitely going for an Inglourious Basterds feel but unfortunately this script just wasn’t good enough to pull off a Tarantino-esque story. The main plot with Cavill and Ritchson was really enjoyable and I could have watched that team blast their way through Nazi occupied Africa all day.

The Eiza Gonzalez storyline was a big whiff though. The movie felt like it ground to a halt every time it cut to that story. There should have been so much more tension in those scenes that someone like Tarantino would have definitely made work. It certainly didn’t have the suspense that we saw between Shosanna and Col. Landa in IG. And that seemed like the effect Ritchie was going for.

Ritchson stole the show though. His accent faded in and out throughout the movie but he sure was fun to watch! For the most part I got what I wanted: cool dudes mowing down Nazis for 2 hours.
Old 09-21-24, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

This is now on Starz for the 5 people who subscribe to it here.

Boondock Saint (09-25-24)