Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anne Heche, 53, dies after fiery car accident (2022)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anne Heche, 53, dies after fiery car accident (2022)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 08:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Anne Heche, 53, dies after fiery car accident (2022)

my guess is mania.
Old 12-10-22, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
my guess is mania.
I don't think mania makes you drive your car at High speed into a house while by yourself and not on any substances.
This was an ultimately successful suicide attempt.
Old 12-10-22, 08:58 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't think mania makes you drive your car at High speed into a house while by yourself and not on any substances.
This was an ultimately successful suicide attempt.

Mania

Mania is a condition in which you display an over-the-top level of activity or energy, mood or behavior. This elevation must be a change from your usual self and be noticeable by others. Symptoms include feelings of invincibility, lack of sleep, racing thoughts and ideas, rapid talking and having false beliefs or perceptions.

there are easier ways to commit suicide.
Old 12-10-22, 09:14 AM

Vehicular suicide

Traffic collisions[edit]

Intentional traffic collisions may be a chosen method of suicide where speed limits are high enough to produce fatal deceleration.[2] Modern cars have high rates of acceleration and can easily reach very high speeds in short distances, while most cannot protect occupants in frontal impact collisions exceeding 70 km (43 mi) per hour.[3] Motor vehicles are ideal self-injurious or self-destructive instruments for persons intent upon camouflaging their suicidal motivation from others, because widespread use of the word accident implies traffic collisions are unintentional.[4] The percentage of suicides among the tens of thousands of people killed annually in United States traffic collisions[5] is unknown because suicides are often misclassified as accidents if no suicide note is found.[6] Considering the large number of suicides by other methods, it would be remarkable if vehicles were less used as a convenient method of self-destruction avoiding insurance and religious complications.[7]

The probability and severity of traffic collisions may be increased by suicidal behaviors including drunk driving and speeding.[8] These risky driving behaviors are associated with depression as contributing factors to vehicular suicide.[9] Impact velocity may be maximized by exceeding speed limits or by maneuvering into a head-on collision with a heavier and less maneuverable vehicle like a bus or semi-trailer truck. Crash investigators found head-on collisions with heavier vehicles were a suicide method more common than the single vehicle crashes sometimes assumed to be more typical. These suicidal collisions may kill or injure others.[7]
Old 12-10-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Old 12-10-22, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'd say it's probably likely she had might have attempted vehicular suicide during a period of mania.
Old 12-10-22, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'd say it's probably likely she had might have attempted vehicular suicide during a period of mania.
No, it's not likely. I suppose it's possible but in my experience people with Bipolar disorder are much more likely to attempt suicide during a depressive state, which can be really extreme and dark. During a manic break they're partying, doing drugs, having a blast. If the sole evidence of "mania" at the time of the accident is that she was driving very fast, that's an extremely weak case. Of course you are going to drive very fast if your intention is to suffer a fatal accident.

If she had someone else in the car like when Paul Walker died, or the Heny Ruggs accident in Las Vegas last year, sure that could be manic episode - - grandiose personality, feeling invincible. But she was by herself and not under the influence of any substance. And it's not like she crashed running a red light or taking a turn too fast. She drove straight into a house. She knew what she was doing and wasn't planning on walking away like a T-1000.

Last edited by Decker; 12-10-22 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-10-22, 10:30 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not going to argue with you about this, because 1) it's pointless, 2) I don't really care either way. 3) you're wrong.

but, again, there are much easier and less painful ways to commit suicide then smashing up your car. statistics also say women choose less violent ways to kill themselves but of course there are outliers.

and I'm not even implying she attempted suicide. but if you are in a hyper reckless state of invincibility and confusion, I would think stuff like multiple care accidents and then ramming into a house and burning to death could happen.

was she wearing a seatbelt?

Last edited by TGM; 12-10-22 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-10-22, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I'm not going to argue with you about this, because 1) it's pointless, 2) I don't really care either way.

If you really don't care, why ask a question?
Old 12-10-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

I guess so... wasn't this photo from just before her crash? (The one on the left, of course.)

Old 12-10-22, 06:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If you really don't care, why ask a question?
just further evidence, if true, that is highly suggestive that she wasn't attempting suicide by car and that this entire argument is stupid.