Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Iron Claw (2023, D: Durkin) S: Efron, White -- based on the Von Erichs

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Iron Claw (2023, D: Durkin) S: Efron, White -- based on the Von Erichs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: The Iron Claw (2023, D: Durkin) S: Efron, White -- based on the Von Erichs

Well, this certainly wasn’t a feel good movie, but it was smartly acted and the characters were something to watch. Always love White, even Efron impressed me. He really was the heart and soul of the movie, but there is no way in hell his physique was natural. I mean, sure, actors bulk up, slim down, but this was just too much and has to be unnatural. Either way, this was a very good movie.
Old 02-15-24, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

In the end why does anyone care if his "physique" is natural or not? Reacher isn't ether. Nor the Rock and so on...

A buddy of mine who does not follow wresting watched this the other day and loved it. Said it brought him and his wife to tears. I found that fascinating. For some reason I didn't thing this would resonate with anyone that didn't know about them or watch wresting.

That is a good thing. I have not seen this yet but will when it becomes more reasonable to rent. I know I sort of made fun of it earlier but now I am really looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully I can convince the wife also but she may have a hard time with the deaths.
Old 02-15-24, 03:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

yeah, but those guys you mentioned were already big guys, not as big, but they have always been in the public eye as big guys, but i wouldn't say as roided up as Zac Efron looked in this movie. that just looked unhealthy and unnatural.
Old 02-15-24, 03:36 PM

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
yeah, but those guys you mentioned were already big guys, not as big, but they have always been in the public eye as big guys, but i wouldn't say as roided up as Zac Efron looked in this movie. that just looked unhealthy and unnatural.
He looked like a slightly-taller He-Man action figure.
Old 02-15-24, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Yeah, that's on hulu. The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling on Peacock is also worth a watch.
I think I've watched that one, i've seen so many wrestling documentaries over the years i cant remember. Thanks, i'll check it out just in case I missed it.
Old 02-15-24, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

It is coming to Blu-ray on. March 26

I assume since it is Lionsgate you have to do a pay per view or wait until 2025 when it hits Starz.
Old 02-16-24, 06:31 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It is coming to Blu-ray on. March 26

I assume since it is Lionsgate you have to do a pay per view or wait until 2025 when it hits Starz.
It's A24 and it will be on Max some time in April or May.
Old 02-16-24, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
I think I've watched that one, i've seen so many wrestling documentaries over the years i cant remember. Thanks, i'll check it out just in case I missed it.
It was produced around the time the Von Erichs went into the WWE Hall of Fame. As a whole, it probably leans on the Von Erichs vs. Free Birds a little too much, but it benefits from more people still being alive to participate, like Gary Hart and Skandor Akbar. Bill Mercer was also younger enough to fully participate.
Old 02-16-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
In the end why does anyone care if his "physique" is natural or not? Reacher isn't ether. Nor the Rock and so on...
I don't really care if his physique is natural, but the one thing I'd say is that it looked too bulked up for Kevin. I always remember him as leaner and Kerry being the more muscular one.
Old 02-16-24, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I don't really care if his physique is natural, but the one thing I'd say is that it looked too bulked up for Kevin. I always remember him as leaner and Kerry being the more muscular one.
It's not like the Von Erich physiques were natural either.

Kevin wasn't ever as bulky as Kerry, but he was pretty ripped too (David wasn't). I think Efron being so short is what makes him not really a physical match for Kevin.
Old 02-16-24, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's not like the Von Erich physiques were natural either.

Kevin wasn't ever as bulky as Kerry, but he was pretty ripped too (David wasn't). I think Efron being so short is what makes him not really a physical match for Kevin.
Never said they were natural or that Kevin wasn't ripped, just think Efron's bulk isn't quite right. You mentioned height. White is even shorter than Efron, which makes him playing Kerry stand out even more.

To be honest, I haven't seen the movie yet so maybe it won't feel like this when I watch, but based purely on pictures and footage from the movie I've seen, aside from White having the longer hair, it looks like their roles should be reversed. I'm sure they're both great in the roles. It's just a bit to odd visually for someone who watched the Von Erichs as a kid.
Old 02-16-24, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Never said they were natural or that Kevin wasn't ripped, just think Efron's bulk isn't quite right. You mentioned height. White is even shorter than Efron, which makes him playing Kerry stand out even more.

To be honest, I haven't seen the movie yet so maybe it won't feel like this when I watch, but based purely on pictures and footage from the movie I've seen, aside from White having the longer hair, it looks like their roles should be reversed. I'm sure they're both great in the roles. It's just a bit to odd visually for someone who watched the Von Erichs as a kid.
Dickinson with a few more lean muscles probably would have been the been choice physically for Kevin, but they needed him for David since Dave was even taller. The movie definitely works emotionally, but you kind of have to let go any mental "fact checking" you're doing while watching. Earlier in the thread, I compared it to seeing a movie when you know the book really well.
Old 02-24-24, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I drove 25 minutes to a Cinemark to go see this today. Glad I saw it. It’s a great movie. Tragic story about this family. I have to admit it was a little jarring seeing Zac Efron so bulked up. But, I eventually got used to it. He gave a really good performance. Now I want to see the documentary on Hulu about this family.
Old 02-25-24, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah, great movie, great acting all around.
But holy shit a lot of chicken legs. Do a fucking leg day just once in a while if you wanna look muscular. Jeremy Allen White looked flat out ridiculous
Old 03-28-24, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is the #1 selling Blu-ray at Amazon

Old 03-28-24, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

I never knew Kerry lost his foot and still wrestled - that's crazy.

I also didn't know that they left out Chris Von Erich who committed Suicide as well - I never even heard of him before.

This movie is extremely depressing, but it's very well made. After watching, it made think of the things nobody else knew about behind closed doors as well.

Mikey's death really got to me - very subtle, but very effective.
Old 04-19-24, 01:36 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

On Max May 10.
Old 04-19-24, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally

More proof Netflix getting rid of their disc rental service sucks since waiting since Dec to watch this.