Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Raimi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Raimi, 2022)
1.59%
15.87%
20.63%
33.33%
12.70%
6.35%
6.35%
1.59%
1.59%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Raimi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Raimi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This was my favorite thing Marvel’s done since Endgame. I went in with no spoilers other than having seen the first trailer and was surprised by quite a bit of it, including the cameos and Scarlet Witch being the villain. It definitely felt like a Raimi film and was better for it.
Old 05-06-22, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts
Re: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Raimi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The multiverse stuff becomes a bit convoluted. Is there a Thanos in every multiverse to be battled with or only in some of them? When is the character that exists in each universe decided to be the same: Strange, girlfriend, etc. or different: the completely different Peter Parkers that are all Spider-Man in their universe. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit but the branching off erodes a bit of the magnitude of the events in the established MCU.
In the comics at least, this is because of how universes/timelines branch. So the most similar universes are closest to each other and easiest to get to. I think also from a mass-media standpoint, it's easier for general audiences to accept "This world is like the one you're familiar with, but X-character looks a little different or Y-character made a different choice." Instead of "On this Earth, penguins grew to be the dominant form of life and also physics are backwards" or something.
Old 05-06-22, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
"On this Earth, penguins grew to be the dominant form of life and also physics are backwards" or something.
Give me a Planet of the Penguins move now!
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
While I agree the Illuminati were pretty quickly dispatched by Wanda, my bigger gripe was "the smartest man on the planet" giving away the store when it came to Black Bolt
I had this issue too. I read on TV Tropes that it was a gambit to avoid conflict altogether with a warning. It's also possible that Wanda-838 is not as powerful as Wanda-616 (especially after she used the Darkhold), so he didn't anticipate her being able to block their powers so effortlessly.
Old 05-06-22, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I had this issue too. I read on TV Tropes that it was a gambit to avoid conflict altogether with a warning. It's also possible that Wanda-838 is not as powerful as Wanda-616 (especially after she used the Darkhold), so he didn't anticipate her being able to block their powers so effortlessly.
Yeah, my impression was that he thought he was just dealing with another Wanda and didn’t understand she was the Scarlett Witch.
IBJoel (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 12:38 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Props to Stuhlbarg’s agent for getting him a “with” credit for what amounts to about 90 seconds in a bad wig.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Boondock Saint (05-08-22), IBJoel (05-06-22), majorjoe23 (05-07-22)
Old 05-06-22, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I saw this late last night and wanted to think about it some more before I commented.
I liked it a lot, but didn’t love it and I don’t really know why. I’m a huge fan of Sam Raimi and this is very much a Sam movie. I was a little disappointed with the amount of Wanda screen time. By that I mean, she just had her own show and since Civil War I kinda miss the solo movies being that, solo movies.
All that being said, I liked her being the villain although I wish there was a “bigger bad” pulling her strings other than just being corrupted by the Darkhold. I also know that The Scarlet Witch is one of the most powerful characters in the comic universe, but did she have to dispatch the Illuminati so quickly? Then there’s the ridiculous limping tunnel chase scene. Yeah it looked cool, but c’mon.
I loved the Bruce cameo, but I think I missed Ted. I don’t remember seeing him in the credits either.
I’m looking forward to the next installment very much and hope we see Strange and Clea mirror the comics.
I’d say this would be in my top 15 MCU but not sure where exactly.
John Pannozzi (05-08-22)
Old 05-06-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I feel like the MCU is speeding out of control. There's too much to keep track of with all the movies and Disney+ shows; casual viewers just can't keep up and I fear they will give up altogether.

Kevin Fiege likes to keep things simple, but it's all getting very convoluted.
Old 05-06-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Oh yeah and this didn’t go as deep into the multiverse as I had hoped. I’m also still very confused on who in fact is responsible for ripping it open.
Silvie killing Kang?
Dr. Strange and his spider spell?
Wanda’s hexes while fighting Agatha?
Something Ant-man does in the new movie?
The following 2 users liked this post by Toddarino:
IBJoel (05-06-22), John Pannozzi (05-08-22)
Old 05-06-22, 02:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I feel like the MCU is speeding out of control. There's too much to keep track of with all the movies and Disney+ shows; casual viewers just can't keep up and I fear they will give up altogether.

Three movies a year, and an occasional show (with WandaVision the only show that’s really mattered) is really that hard to keep up with???
The following 3 users liked this post by Brack:
Boondock Saint (05-08-22), majorjoe23 (05-07-22), Red Hood (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

If you're confused now wait till they add in Earth 2. The alternate Earth created by High Evolutionary. Reed Richards is The Brute, instead of Avengers it's the Squadron Supreme.
Old 05-06-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
If you're confused now wait till they add in Earth 2. The alternate Earth created by High Evolutionary. Reed Richards is The Brute, instead of Avengers it's the Squadron Supreme.
I just want to hang out in paint world.
Old 05-06-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Three movies a year, and an occasional show (with WandaVision the only show that’s really mattered) is really that hard to keep up with???
WandaVision, Loki and What If.... are all necessary to really get all the references. That's a lot of episodes for a casual viewer.

Burnout is going to happen.
Old 05-06-22, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WandaVision, Loki and What If.... are all necessary to really get all the references. That's a lot of episodes for a casual viewer.

But I don’t think any of them are necessary to follow or enjoy the movie. I was surprised how well they balanced it, where having seen the shows enriches the experience of the movie, while the movie can still be enjoyed on its own by those who didn’t watch the shows.
The following 2 users liked this post by maxfisher:
Boondock Saint (05-08-22), Brack (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 03:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
But I don’t think any of them are necessary to follow or enjoy the movie. I was surprised how well they balanced it, where having seen the shows enriches the experience of the movie, while the movie can still be enjoyed on its own by those who didn’t watch the shows.
Agreed. I didn’t get into the Captain Carter stuff (tried to, but got distracted). Now I want to watch those What Ifs
Old 05-06-22, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rw2516
I was REALLY hoping we'd get a Squadron Supreme cameo in this film. They're probably my biggest "want" in terms of fan service
John Pannozzi (05-08-22)
Old 05-06-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

At the very least I think it's becoming increasingly more difficult for a new viewer to jump in and start watching the movies. So I think that's going to eventually start working against the franchise.
Old 05-06-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Oh yeah and this didn’t go as deep into the multiverse as I had hoped. I’m also still very confused on who in fact is responsible for ripping it open.
Silvie killing Kang?
That’s a great question. I think for the plot of this movie non of what happened before really matters since America was the one who was ripping holes in the multiverse. Obviously they knew what happened in Spiderman but I don’t think they know anything about the TVA or what’s going on there. Seems like that happens at the end of the timeline so I guess TBD with the next Ant Man?
John Pannozzi (05-08-22)
Old 05-06-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Props to Stuhlbarg’s agent for getting him a “with” credit for what amounts to about 90 seconds in a bad wig.
I thought that was funny too. I had no idea who that was until halfway through their 20 second conversation. And I just rewatched Dr. Strange a week ago in preparation for this movie.
Old 05-06-22, 05:51 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Silvie killing Kang?
Feige: "There's always a method to the madness, even in the multiverse, and for Marvel fans, who know that Loki and Sylvie did something at the end of that series, that sort of allowed all this to be possible. He Who Remains is gone, and that allowed a spell to go wrong in 'Spider-Man: No Way Home,' which leads to the multiverse going quite mad in this."
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
John Pannozzi (05-08-22), tanman (05-06-22), Toddarino (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Poster Art:
[/QUOTE]

Was that an official poster for the movie or a fan made one? I ask cause 2 of those actors listed where not in the film at all. And of course, the director changed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
JeremyM (05-13-22), PerryD (11-21-22)
Old 05-06-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I thought this movie was a big mess...and I'm going to blame Raimi for most of this mess. He seems to have gotten too into the horror aspects and paying homage to some of his prior movies than actually giving us a decent story. All the fun that they could have had with the multiverse concept, and they seem to have done the absolute minimum - again, in exchange for a lot of horror action with FX that ranged from decent to downright bad. Two out of five stars for me, and one of the "lesser" Marvel movies.
Old 05-06-22, 07:36 PM
Banned

Silvie killing Kang?
It feels everyone has a little bit of responsibility on what was going the breaking in the multiverse, including the Watcher, Ultron and Strange in What if? and maybe even Steve Rogers when he decided to go back in time and live life instead of returning the stones and returning to the present time.
John Pannozzi (05-08-22)
Old 05-06-22, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Poster Art:
Was that an official poster for the movie or a fan made one? I ask cause 2 of those actors listed where not in the film at all. And of course, the director changed.[/QUOTE]

It looks fan made and there's a note at the bottom by the person who did it.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
JeremyM (05-13-22), Red Hood (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 07:42 PM
Banned

By the way, I really liked the film more than I expected. I avoided spoilers and reviews since it feels that there was going to be a lot of surprises and twists in this one. I liked the twist that the Scarlet Witch was the villain as trailers insinuated that either she had a small part or was just there to help Strange fix things. I was incredibly shocked to see Anson Mount return as Black Bolt since his Inhumans show was so hated by everyone, including Feige. I hope they bring him back at some point, same with Captain Carter, Xavier and Richards. Speaking of Reed, I would have preferred to see Ioan Grufford instead of Krasinsky. That would have been more surprising.

Also, speaking of the FF, what was the exact line that Strange said when Reed introduced himself? Strange responded with something that the FF from his universe were from the 60's or something along those lines but it was so quick and mumbled that I couldn't catch it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.