DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/655279-ghostbusters-frozen-empire-2024-d-kenan.html)

Hokeyboy 04-28-22 05:16 PM

re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

I loved the animated series. Remember The New Jersey Parallelogram?

dex14 06-28-22 11:31 AM

The Ghostbusters sequel to Ghostbusters: Afterlife that Sony teased at CinemaCon in a sizzle reel, and which director Jason Reitman and writer Gil Kenan confirmed on Ghostbusters Day, June 8, is getting a theatrical release of Wednesday, Dec. 20, 2023.

As hinted at in the end credits of Afterlife, the next chapter will return to the original films’ New York City and Firehouse setting.
https://deadline.com/2022/06/ghostbu...23-1235053366/

devilshalo 06-28-22 01:58 PM

That's a pretty quick turn around.

rexinnih 06-28-22 02:11 PM

Sounds good to me.

dex14 06-28-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 14125026)
That's a pretty quick turn around.

Filming some exteriors in NYC during the holidays 2022, release 2023. A Very Ghostbuster Christmas.

Decker 06-28-22 04:21 PM

That seems like a quick turnaround for an effects-heavy movie.

Mike86 06-28-22 04:26 PM

I didn’t really care for Afterlife, but I’m curious about the next one possibly being in New York again.

Draven 06-28-22 05:03 PM

I wonder if they will make this one a comedy?

Runaway 06-28-22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 14125126)
I wonder if they will make this one a comedy?

Why wouldn't they? All Ghostbuster movies are comedies.

DJariya 06-28-22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Runaway (Post 14125128)

If you didn’t follow his previous comments on Afterlife, he thought it was dark and not funny at all.

Josh-da-man 06-28-22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14125066)
Filming some exteriors in NYC during the holidays 2022, release 2023. A Very Ghostbuster Christmas.

A Very Ghostbusters Christmas might have been good.

If they made it twenty-five years ago with the OG cast.

Draven 06-29-22 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Runaway (Post 14125128)

I can’t think of one funny moment in Afterlife. I sincerely hope they get back to what the original was like. Maybe a return to New York will help.

Hokeyboy 07-01-22 06:14 PM

There was comedy in Afterlife. I don't think any of it landed.

If they MUST do another movie -- and I really wish they wouldn't -- give it to someone who can handle both the comedy and horror adroitly -- more comedy than horror, but just enough chills to give the material real stakes.

TBH the original Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle. They keep chasing that movie without understanding it was that perfect convergence of the acting talents of Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis, Aykroyd's script and worldbuilding, and Reitman's directing. Even Ray Parker Jr's theme song.

(The same goes for Back To The Future. The sequels, whatever you thought of them (big me from me), could never recapture anything remotely like the original)

You know what, just bring back the 80s cartoon.

Eric F 07-01-22 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 14126812)

If they MUST do another movie -- and I really wish they wouldn't -- give it to someone who can handle both the comedy and horror adroitly -- more comedy than horror, but just enough chills to give the material real stakes.

TBH the original Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle. They keep chasing that movie without understanding it was that perfect convergence of the acting talents of Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis, Aykroyd's script and worldbuilding, and Reitman's directing. Even Ray Parker Jr's theme song.

(The same goes for Back To The Future. The sequels, whatever you thought of them (big me from me), could never recapture anything remotely like the original)

You know what, just bring back the 80s cartoon.

I watched this last night and once again they were spot on. The first 2/3 of Afterlife was just ok but the last 20-30mins was a big mess. I don’t think I cracked a smile once through the entire movie. It’s a joyless, commercial outing which doesn’t have the magic of the first, I can’t see how another would be any better.

Josh-da-man 07-01-22 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 14126812)

It was there. It was just a different kind of comedy. The OG Ghostbusters was 80s-style comedy of the kind found in Animal House. The snarky snobs-vs-slobs kind of stuff that was commonplace in that era. The comedy in Afterlife was more of shoe-gazing, PC millennial stuff. Did it work? Sort of. Would the old-school unPC humor ("It's true. This man has no dick.") have worked three decades later? I don't know.

Yes, that it was. It took the early 80s special effects-laden adventure with an underdog protagonist in the mold of Raiders of the Lost Ark and combined with SNL/Animal House-style humor, and made something that was very much of its time.

And, going by Ghostbusters II (and even Afterlife), they really didn't know how to make it work as a franchise. Ghostbusters II reset them from being heroes at the end of the first movie to underdogs at the start of the second. The pink slime wasn't a bad idea, but they felt the need to rehash the Marshmallow Man with the Statue of LIberty. And with Afterlife, we learned that the Ghostbusters fell apart because, after the big events of the movies, there weren't any ghosts left to bust.

In order to be a successful franchise, they needed to keep it moving forward, not constantly hitting the reset button. Ghostbusters II and III and IV should have featured them busting ghosts regularly offscreen, then use the movies for some kind of big battle against a world-ending foe. But, by Hollywood logic, they needed to be presented as perpetual underdogs and losers because that was the successful formula in the first movie.

dex14 12-05-22 06:04 PM

EXCLUSIVE: After successfully relaunching the franchise with 2021’s Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Sony Pictures is ramping up pre-production on the sequel with the film’s writer and exec producer Gil Kenan set to take over directing reigns. Sources tell Deadline Jason Reitman, who directed the last pic, will move into the writer-producer role alongside Kenan and Jason Blumenfeld. Insiders add the Ghostbusters: Afterlife ensemble that includes Paul Rudd, and Carrie Coon are on board to return from a script from Kenan and Reitman.

“It’s an absolute honor to pick up the proton pack and step behind the camera for the next chapter of the Spengler family saga. I just wish I could go back to 1984 and tell the kid in the sixth row of the Mann Valley West that one day he was going to get to direct a Ghostbusters film,” said Kenan.

While not much is known about the sequel sources say the plan is to return to New York City and the iconic firehouse made famous in the original Ghostbusters films.

“A few years ago, my father handed me the keys to Ecto-1 and together we made Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Words will never express how grateful I am to have made a film with my father by my side. It’s now time to hand those keys to my creative partner and fellow Ghostbuster Gil Kenan, a brilliant director who will keep the Spengler spirit alive. I can only hope to provide him the same producorial care and support that my father showed me,” said Reitman.

It’s been a high priority for Sony to get a sequel in production after Ghostbusters: Afterlife, the sequel to the 1984 iconic film, became a hit following its November 2021 opening at the box-office. Directed and co-written by Reitman, and executive produced and co-written by Kenan, the pic opened as the pandemic was winding down with strong results that included a $44 million opening weekend, with the film , making more than $200 million worldwide.

After the success of Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Reitman and Kenan signed an overall producing deal with Sony Pictures and quickly began working on the script for the next pic. Production is now being eyed for the top of 2023 with casting under way for some new roles to be added to the ensemble.

Kenan  has directed films such as Monster House (a Sony Pictures release), City of Ember, and last year’s A Boy Called Christmas. For Monster House, Kenan  was nominated for an Academy Award and Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature.

Reitman is the director of Thank You for Smoking, Juno, Up in the Air, Young Adult, Tully, The Front Runner, and Ghostbusters Afterlife. As a producer, Reitman produced Damien Chazelle’s Whiplash, Jean-Marc Vallee’s Demolition, and the cult hit Jennifer’s Body, by director Karyn Kusama.

Kenan is repped by WME and Robert Offer. Reitman is repped by WME and Alan Wertheimer.
https://deadline.com/2022/12/ghostbu...an-1235190148/

Toddarino 12-05-22 06:08 PM

I kinda hoped the sequel would be Winston in charge of a new group with maybe an appearance by Ray and his bookstore.
I don’t see point of Rudd and Coon returning, which isn’t to say I didn’t like their performances.

rocket1312 12-05-22 06:32 PM

"the next chapter of the Spengler family saga"

Ugh.

GoldenJCJ 12-05-22 06:59 PM

Coon and Rudd are now married and living in New York, helping Winston launch the next wave of Ghostbusters.

I can see that working out alright.

Josh-da-man 12-05-22 07:12 PM

I'd like to see them include Kate McKinnon in the cast, playing Holtzmann from the 2016 movie, with the explanation that she got sucked through a portal into this universe. Her character was the only thing from that movie that I liked, and would seem to fit well into the prime GB universe.

Decker 12-06-22 12:58 AM

:lol: Yeah, I don’t think Sony wants any Ghostbusters 2016 callbacks at all.

Toddarino 12-06-22 09:00 AM

The could cast those four in stupid cameo roles that would have nothing to do with their beloved characters.

GoldenJCJ 12-06-22 10:08 AM

I’d be all for giving Hudson a starring role, bringing back Aykroyd for a smaller role (maybe have him come to town to help Winston get the new Ghostbusters up and running or have him discover something in his occult shop that requires the Ghostbusters’ help). Let McKenna Grace have a large role helping Winston or the Ghostbusters. Send Wolfhard off to college somewhere. He’s not needed.

milo bloom 12-06-22 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14201420)
I'd like to see them include Kate McKinnon in the cast, playing Holtzmann from the 2016 movie, with the explanation that she got sucked through a portal into this universe. Her character was the only thing from that movie that I liked, and would seem to fit well into the prime GB universe.

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14201563)

I find myself agreeing with both of these.

She was absolutely the standout, but Sony wouldn't dare include anything that would cause the fanboys to lose their minds.

And I think they did a crossover in the comics already.

jjcool 12-06-22 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14201563)

And there isn't any reason to. Why call back to what was arguably a pretty terrible movie?