DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Metal Lords (2022, D: Sollett) S: Martell, Hainsworth, Greensmith (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/655171-metal-lords-2022-d-sollett-s-martell-hainsworth-greensmith.html)

dex14 04-04-22 06:32 AM

Metal Lords (2022, D: Sollett) S: Martell, Hainsworth, Greensmith

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...920efb1f5a.jpg

Two kids start a metal band in a high school where exactly two kids care about metal. They can't find a bassist, but there is this one girl who plays the cello. They need to work together if they're ever going to win the Battle of the Bands.

The cast of Metal Lords includes Jaeden Martell, Isis Hainsworth, Adrian Greensmith, Sufe Bradshaw, Noah Urrea, Analesa Fisher, Michelle Fang, Phelan Davis, with Brett Gelman, and Joe Manganiello.

Metal Lords is directed by the American filmmaker Peter Sollett, director of the films Raising Victor Vargas, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and Freeheld previously. The screenplay is written by D.B. Weiss. Produced by Greg Shapiro & D.B. Weiss. Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine) is executive music producer.

Netflix will debut Metal Lords on April 8th, 2022

[email protected] 04-22-22 02:22 PM

Re: Metal Lords (2022, D: Sollett) S: Martell, Hainsworth, Greensmith

Watched this the other night. It was okay, probably give it **/****, maybe 2.5* if being generous. Of the three young actors, I thought Isis Hainsworth was a cut above the rest as the metalhead-in-hiding cellist. It was all a bit corny and predictable, but not without its moments of charm. Including one hot-tub scene with some pretty funny cameos.

Josh-da-man 04-22-22 11:11 PM

As a lifelong metalhead, I thought this movie was cringy as fuck.

It's essentially one of those 90s teen comedies like She's All That or 10 Things I Hate About You with some superficial heavy metal stuff grafted onto it.

A handful of good scenes, but the whole thing was just terrible.

bunkaroo 04-25-22 12:18 AM

As a guy who started playing bass in metal bands in HS, I knew WAY too many guys like the guitarist. It was like a bad flashback.

Gunde 04-25-22 08:14 AM

I liked it. A cute and fun movie.

L Everett Scott 07-06-22 08:35 PM

I was never in a band and never knew any Metal-worshipping musicians like Hunter. I like my share of Metal but can't honestly claim to be a Metalhead. (Hunter would probably hate me right away for being a Def Leppard fan.)

It might be because I'm not as close to the subject matter as other folks are that I really enjoyed this movie. There are so many cookie cutter coming of age stories and high school comedies that it's nice to see a movie like this that doesn't always take the well-worn paths. If this were an ABC After School Special, the rival band would be made up of eh-holes and our heroes would beat them at the Battle of the Bands by being 'more metal' than them or some done-to-death shit like that. I like that the three leads actually grow and that they behave in ways that real teens would. Also really appreciated that Emily is Scottish but it's never brought up and she's just treated as another kid at school.

My one complaint is that the ending was rushed.
Spoiler:
Emily practiced with Kevin but never with Hunter. At The Battle of the Bands, she jams with the band for the first time but they all play as if they had been together for years.
I consider this a minor point, though, because the rest of it worked so well that I can easily forgive that bit.

Given that this movie hasn't generated much discussion, it's probably safe to say that hardly anyone has seen it. It's definitely not a four-quadrant crowd pleaser because it doesn't do much hand-holding for people who aren't into Metal, but I'm really glad it's so unapologetic about its love for that genre. If there's a better Heavy Metal-themed coming-of-age drama, I'd like to see it.