Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RRR - Rise Roar Revolt (2022)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-22, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I’m watching this and posting during intermission. This is one of the best movie experiences in my lifetime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RRR_(film)
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (12-28-22)
Old 03-24-22, 09:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: RRR - Rise Roar Revolt (2022)

I love the outrageousness - and obscenely long lengths - of Bollywood movies. Still, nothing has been crazier than Enthiran.

Old 06-01-22, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Audience reaction to RRR in Bangalore, India. This is pretty wild like Avengers Endgame night 1

Old 06-01-22, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Just to add, this is currently on Netflix (US)

Sparkler fountains not included.
Old 06-01-22, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

That audience reaction looks so fake. What are they tossing up in the air? Why do they have stuff in their hands right at the end of the movie? Popcorn should've been eaten. It's a long-ass movie, over 3 hrs.
Old 06-02-22, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Just to add, this is currently on Netflix (US)

Sparkler fountains not included.
Unfortunately the Netflix version is dubbed in Hindi. ZEE5 is streaming it in it’s native language (Telugu) but I have no idea if there are English subs. That said if you don’t care about the audio language, then the Netflix stream will work.
Old 06-02-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That audience reaction looks so fake. What are they tossing up in the air? Why do they have stuff in their hands right at the end of the movie? Popcorn should've been eaten. It's a long-ass movie, over 3 hrs.
It's a movie theater in India. We in the West don't know their etiquette and fan reaction to big Bollywood movies. I guess RRR is their version of a big MCU movie even if the reaction does look super over the top.
IBJoel (06-02-22)
Old 06-02-22, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's a movie theater in India. We in the West don't know their etiquette and fan reaction to big Bollywood movies. I guess RRR is their version of a big MCU movie even if the reaction does look super over the top.
Their reactions to MCU films is similar. I love watching reaction videos on YouTube.
Old 06-02-22, 05:21 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's a movie theater in India. We in the West don't know their etiquette and fan reaction to big Bollywood movies.
Fans of popular action stars do it when they first appear on screen.

https://www.indiatimes.com/entertain...ut-555346.html

Old 06-14-22, 05:39 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

This was bonkers. I really enjoyed it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
mapasu (06-14-22), Pointyskull (01-08-23)
Old 07-04-22, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Re: RRR - Rise Roar Revolt (2022)

We watched this on the weekend. I absolutely loved it!

The scene introducing Fire was really well done.
Old 07-31-22, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Watched this on Netlix and really enjoyed it. It got a lot darker than I was expecting in the middle. The story kept surprising me, and I got really caught up. This isn't something I was watching "ironically". The movie rises above any of its cheesiness.

It was cool to see Alison Doody from Indian Jones And The Last Crusade playing one of the villains.
Old 08-03-22, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Watched this on Netlix and really enjoyed it. It got a lot darker than I was expecting in the middle. The story kept surprising me, and I got really caught up. This isn't something I was watching "ironically". The movie rises above any of its cheesiness.
Yea, more people should definitely be checking this out. I know the run time may be a turn off, but it is paced pretty well. This does more with its budget and story than most summer blockbusters these days. It is one of the best films of the year so far, IMO. Add it to your Netflix queues.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
andicus (08-03-22), Crocker Jarmen (08-03-22), kahuna (08-19-22)
Old 08-19-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

We caught this on netflix last night, and it was SO much fun! Gonna have to track down more of these movies. Was much more violent than I was expecting. So I'm assuming they don't show any sex/nudity in Bollywood films, but bloody violence is OK?
Old 08-19-22, 09:37 AM

I’d assume not. This was really my only experience to this type of film. Though, RRR is considered Tollywood, which produces films in the language of Telugu.

Last edited by dex14; 11-24-22 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-06-22, 07:13 AM

I wonder if India not submitting the film for Best International Film really lit the fire to campaign for everything else.

Crocker Jarmen (10-06-22)
Old 11-24-22, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier this evening.

As everyone has already stated here, it was so much fun!

A theater about 45-minutes away is screening it in the middle of the week. Hopefully, I can leave work early enough to beat traffic and check it out in an actual theater.
Old 11-25-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I watched another one of these recently, that was also a ton of fun. Brahmastra on hulu. It's a superhero kind of movie, apparently trying to be the first in a "marvel universe" kind of thing.

I don't understand how all these movies can be so beautifully shot, with amazingly colorful cinematography that literally puts hollywood to shame. It's crazy!
Old 11-25-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I watched another one of these recently, that was also a ton of fun. Brahmastra on hulu. It's a superhero kind of movie, apparently trying to be the first in a "marvel universe" kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7dTjZuwlAM

I don't understand how all these movies can be so beautifully shot, with amazingly colorful cinematography that literally puts hollywood to shame. It's crazy!
I saw Brahmastra theatrically, and although I was pretty meh on it, it had the best-looking 3D I've seen since Avatar back in 2009. I can only assume it was shot in 3D instead of converted later, as you could tell they put a lot of thought into how to frame the action scenes to create spectacular 3D visuals, instead of just being like, "Well, whatever table happens to be in the foreground will be in 3D, I guess." The entire image was immaculate, none of that flickering, or layers looking awkwardly out of focus.
Old 12-11-22, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I finally decided to pull the trigger and catch up with this one only to realize that the Netflix version is in the wrong language and aspect ratio. Why is this even a thing I have to think about? Isn't it 2022? I really wish I had seen it theatrically when I had the chance because I don't think I'll be able to convince myself to watch this compromised.
Old 12-20-22, 07:33 AM

“RRR” director S.S. Rajamouli says the sequel to his blockbuster action hit is well underway. The filmmaker tells Variety that his father and screenwriter Vijayendra Prasad is “seriously working on the story,” with his revolutionary heroes set to return for another epic battle with the colonizing Brits.

Rajamouli assures a sequel wasn’t initially on the cards, but has become more of a prospect as the film has found international success.

“When we were making it, we didn’t have an idea about [a sequel],” he says. “With the initial success of it, we discussed a little bit and threw out some good ideas, but we didn’t feel there was a great idea that was worth pursuing, so we left it at that.

“Then, after the international success, when the topic came up again, my cousin [M. M. Keeravani] — who is also a part of my core team — gave an idea which we felt like, ‘Oh my God, this is a great idea. This is the idea that is worth pursuing.’”

The director says he asked his father — who narrates the story to Rajamouli and others, who then write up the first draft — to “immediately sit on it and expand the idea.”

“At present, he’s seriously working on the story; he’s getting it done,” says Rajamouli. “But once this script is done is when we really look into how to make it, when to make it, and how to bring it onto the screen.”

Shot over 320 days, “RRR” is Rajamouli’s most expensive film to date, and indeed, one of the priciest Indian films ever made, with an estimated budget of $66 million.

While specific details about the sequel are under lock and key, the director confirms that his two heroes, Bheem (NTR Jr.) and Raju (Ram Charan Teja), will be returning, and the British colonial villains will once again play a major role in the story.

Rajamouli notes the film is being campaigned this awards season across a number of categories, but has high hopes for original song and score. And indeed, the three-hour action-musical epic earned two Golden Globe nominations last week, for original song for the track “Naatu Naatu” as well as best non-English language film.

Rajamouli was also awarded best director by the New York Film Critics Circle.

The helmer, who spoke to Variety prior to the Golden Globe nominations and his New York Critics Circle win, says it “feels good” to be recognized, but more so for the Telugu film industry to be in the spotlight on such a vast, global scale.

“It feels good when you’re recognized not just under the umbrella of Bollywood, [but when] people start to recognize you by your own language film. That obviously feels great,” says Rajamouli, who adds that his other historical epic, “Bahubali,” was among a host of films that have helped to break down the north-south divide in India’s film industries.

“People in India weren’t aware that there’s a Telugu industry, a Tamil industry, a Kannada industry. And then the film started travelling across the borders, and travelling into the West. They started realizing, ‘Oh, it’s not just the song and dance of Bollywood. There is something else here. There are great action sequences and great stories that are coming from the south of India!’”

For anyone trying to watch “RRR” on Netflix, however, which is likely where many around the world will access the film, it’s only available to date in Hindi. This is due to a carving up of rights when the film was first sold.

“I essentially shoot in Telugu and we dub into other languages, such as Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada and Hindi — and Hindi is big,” explains Rajamouli. “We have a big Hindi market for for my films, at least for ‘RRR,’ so I guess when the rights were up for sale, maybe Netflix had only allocated budget so they could spend only so much on one particular film.”

The rights, he says, were “not cheap” and it’s likely Netflix could only select one, and ultimately went for Hindi. The Telugu streaming rights, meanwhile, were acquired by ZEE5.

“Many comments started pouring in that, ‘Oh, this film is good, but it is not the original language.’ I wish it was in the original language when I see many comments on social media, and yeah, it feels like maybe all the languages should have been available on Netflix,” says Rajamouli.

Nevertheless, even with solely the Hindi version, “RRR” remained on Netflix’s top 10 for 14 consecutive weeks. “People loved it — even in Hindi,” says Rajamouli.
https://variety.com/2022/film/global...li-1235465522/

Also... I saw Netflix recently added Rajamouli's 2012 film Eega (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2258337). This one looks wild.
andicus (12-20-22)
Old 12-27-22, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I’m watching this now. About an hour in and this movie is true spectacle.

After some plying with the language tracks I found the Atmos track is connected to the Hindi language track.
The English track is 5.1
Old 01-08-23, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched this yesterday on Netflix. All I can say is..."WOW!"

Sure, you can nitpick about the language track, but visually this was a gorgeous, ambitious spectacle that never bored me. Colorful. Violent. Beautiful. Funny. Ridiculous.
Man, I really, really love this. A lot.
Old 01-09-23, 10:41 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

The dance battle scene was awesome
Old 01-14-23, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

My wife and I had some Very Special Candy last night and put this on and it was freaking amazing. So much emotion and heart while still a bit cheesy and goofy. Definitely recommended.
mapasu (01-22-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.