Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Old Dads (2023, D: Bill Burr) S: Burr, Cannavale, Woodbine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 04:10 PM

Received 4,645 Likes on 3,144 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Comedian and actor Bill Burr (F Is for Family) is writing, directing and starring alongside Emmy winner Bobby Cannavale (Boardwalk Empire) and Emmy nominee Bokeem Woodbine (Fargo) in the original comedy Old Dads, which Miramax has come aboard to produce in conjunction with Burr’s All Things Comedy.

Burr’s feature directorial debut centers on a middle-aged father (Burr) and his two best friends (Cannavale and Woodbine) who after selling their company to a millennial, find themselves out of step and behind the times as they hilariously struggle to navigate a changing world of culture, career and fatherhood. Burr and Ben Tishler penned the script and are producing with Bill Block (Bad Moms, Dirty Grandpa), Monica Levinson (Borat films, Bruno) and Mike Bertolina. Production kicked off in Los Angeles yesterday.

“I’m very excited to start shooting Old Dads,” said Burr. “This comedy is based on my own and my co-writer, Ben Tishler’s, lives. Miramax has been awesome to work with and I think people are really going to like this movie.”

“Burr is one of the top comedic voices of his generation and he has written a script that’s not just unwaveringly funny, but also full of heart and unfiltered cultural commentary,” added Miramax CEO Bill Block. “We’re thrilled to be collaborating with him and this fantastic cast, including Bobby Cannavale and Bokeem Woodbine.”
https://deadline.com/2022/03/bill-bu...ne-1234970462/

EXCLUSIVE: Katie Aselton (The Morning Show) has signed on to star alongside Bill Burr, Bobby Cannavale and Bokeem Woodbine in the comedy Old Dads, which Burr wrote and is directing for Miramax and his company All Things Comedy.

The comedian’s feature directorial debut centers on a middle-aged father, Jack (Burr), and his two best friends (Cannavale and Woodbine), who after selling their company to a millennial, find themselves out of step and behind the times as they hilariously struggle to navigate a changing world of culture, career and fatherhood.

Aselton is playing Jack’s wife, Leah. Burr and Ben Tishler penned the script and are producing alongside Bill Block (Bad Moms, Dirty Grandpa), Monica Levinson (Borat films, Bruno) and Mike Bertolina, with production underway in Los Angeles.
https://deadline.com/2022/03/katie-a...ax-1234972990/
Old 03-07-22, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,548 Posts
re: Old Dads (2023, D: Bill Burr) S: Burr, Cannavale, Woodbine

Cool, I love Burr, so I'm up for this.
Old 03-07-22, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Official movie of DVDTalk?
Old 03-07-22, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,259 Likes on 2,096 Posts

Miramax is still a thing?!
Old 08-21-23, 03:21 PM

Re: Old Dads (2023, D: Bill Burr) S: Burr, Cannavale, Woodbine

Netflix has acquired comedian Bill Burr’s feature directorial debut Old Dads, which we were first to report on, slating the comedy for an October 20th premiere.

Hailing from Miramax, Burr’s All Things Comedy, and All of Us Productions, the film in which Burr also stars centers on his middle-aged father, Jack, and his two best friends (Bobby Cannavale and Bokeem Woodbine), who after selling their company to a millennial, find themselves out of step and behind the times as they hilariously struggle to navigate a changing world of culture, career and fatherhood.

Also starring in the pic written by Burr and Ben Tishler are Katie Aselton, Reign Edwards, Rachael Harris, Miles Robbins and Jackie Tohn. The producers are Burr, Tishler, Bill Block (Bad Moms, Dirty Grandpa), Monica Levinson (Borat films, Bruno) and Mike Bertolina.
https://deadline.com/2023/08/old-dad...ix-1235524278/
Old 09-20-23, 09:53 AM

Three best friends (Bill Burr, Bobby Cannavale, Bokeem Woodbine) become fathers later in life and find themselves battling preschool principals, millennial CEOs and anything created after 1987. Only on Netflix – October 20.

Cast:
Bill Burr
Bobby Cannavale
Bokeem Woodbine
Katie Aselton
Jackie Tohn
Reign Edwards
Rachael Harris
Old 10-28-23, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 490 Likes on 323 Posts

I'm astonished by how embarrassing this was. I thought F Is For Family was fantastic, and I've been listening to Bill Burr on radio and podcasts for years, and he is a funny and insightful person, but all the comic foils in this are some of the most extreme strawmen I've ever seen in a movie. I'd swear the script was written by someone with no real life experience, based entirely on twitter conversations. I had to take a break at the halfway point, where the movie decides it needs to get serious. Jesus.

I can think of no better way to communicate how uninspired this movie is than by pointing out its big finale is Bill's wife going into labor and him having to rush to the hospital.
Old 10-28-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

I thought this was hilarious. Lot of subtle humor and just a fun watch.

First time I've ever heard the song "apeman" as well.

Last edited by Rival11; 10-28-23 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-28-23, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 274 Posts

I enjoyed this film. Basically Burr doing a whole stand up routine in fictional movie form.

The scooter guy crashing into the trash cans at the beginning of the end credits was hilarious. It was just so random.

Katrina Bowden

and I’m glad everyone in this movie seems to be non-woke, considering they probably liked doing the woke dialogue knowing how absurd it sounds.