Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Death on the Nile?
0%
0%
45.45%
18.18%
18.18%
18.18%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Will wait to see it at home
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Every passenger has a motive. Watch the new trailer for Death on the Nile, in theaters February 11. Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot’s Egyptian vacation aboard a glamorous river steamer turns into a terrifying search for a murderer when a picture-perfect couple’s idyllic honeymoon is tragically cut short. Set against an epic landscape of sweeping desert vistas and the majestic Giza pyramids, this dramatic tale of love gone wrong features a cosmopolitan group of impeccably dressed travelers and enough wicked twists and turns to leave audiences guessing until the final, shocking denouement.

Running Time: 127 minutes

This has been delayed multiple times due to the pandemic. But, it opens officially Friday. screenings start Thursday night

Rotten Tomatoes score: 68% as of 2/10/22

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_on_the_nile_2022

This is the sequel to Murder on the Orient Express. I didn't love that movie, but I like the Poirot character.

I plan to see this on Saturday. I like the cast, especially Branagh and Gadot. I know this thread probably won't get many comments, but I figured an all-star murder mystery deserves it.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-10-22 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-10-22, 07:40 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

I really enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express and am looking forward to this. The current 68% RT isn't a great start for this, however. I think I can try to get out to see it this weekend.
Old 02-10-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by story
I really enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express and am looking forward to this. The current 68% RT isn't a great start for this, however. I think I can try to get out to see it this weekend.
To be fair, that is higher than Murder on the Orient Express (which sits at 60% critics / 53% audience)
Old 02-10-22, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Dan Murrell reviewed it and recommends it. I like Dan's reviews and find he always gives an articulate and well thought out analysis.

Old 02-10-22, 05:27 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Spoiler alert... the book is 90 years old.

I'll see this tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
E Unit (02-11-22)
Old 02-10-22, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

hey I've never read any of Agatha Christie's books. I'm not really a book reader. I may have seen some bits and pieces of the old Peter Ustinov movies as a kid, but don't remember them. :Like the 1978 version

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077413...nm_flmg_act_41
Old 02-10-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm in.

Ended up watching Murder on the Orient Express on cable a couple of years ago and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.
Old 02-11-22, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw it last night and I liked it a lot.
Old 02-11-22, 03:38 PM

Outside of a few issues (bad deaging of Branagh in the prologue, clunky exposition dialogue, pacing), I thought this was a much better film than Orient Express.

I am very happy to see Emma Mackey in a big studio movie. I thought she was great here. Anyone unfamiliar with her should watch Sex Education on Netflix.

I am going to guess there will be a third film. Branagh coming off the Oscar acclaim... Disney keeping a franchise going... and the two already have an existing relationship.

Last edited by dex14; 02-11-22 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-12-22, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I quite liked it. A good old-fashioned film with stars on lavish sets in a good-looking movie. Also thought it was considerably better than Murder on the Orient Express. Top production values. Liked many of the actors in it. But damn if the entire whodunit came right back into my head about 15 minutes into the film. I suddenly remembered who was Lois Childs, who was Mia Farrow, and then everything just came flooding back from my memory of the previous film though I saw it decades ago.
I sincerely hope that they do another one from one of the myriad of other Poirot books, and maybe something that hasn't been a film before so I might not remember who the murderer is next time.

Did the previous version have the lesbian reveal? I didn't remember that.
Was Russell Brand in brownface? I don't think he normally looks that dark-skinned. Maybe it was just his lighting?
story (03-11-22)
Old 02-12-22, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Was Russell Brand in brownface? I don't think he normally looks that dark-skinned. Maybe it was just his lighting?
A lot of them looked like they had a spray tan... I guess to show they got a tan in Egypt.

Also... we got see a tease what Gadot could look like as Cleopatra.
Why So Blu? (02-12-22)
Old 02-12-22, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
But damn if the entire whodunit came right back into my head about 15 minutes into the film. I suddenly remembered who was Lois Childs, who was Mia Farrow, and then everything just came flooding back from my memory of the previous film though I saw it decades ago.
I sincerely hope that they do another one from one of the myriad of other Poirot books, and maybe something that hasn't been a film before so I might not remember who the murderer is next time.
Yeah, that's my problem. I re-watched the Ustinov version in recent years, and it just hasn't been long enough for me to forget that Manimal and Mia Farrow were the killers. To be fair, I think the trailer kind of gives away the "Lois Chiles" fate. I'll still go see it, but I won't be able to enjoy it as a mystery.
Old 02-12-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I am going to guess there will be a third film. Branagh coming off the Oscar acclaim... Disney keeping a franchise going... and the two already have an existing relationship.
I would have expected a third film too, until the final shot
Spoiler:
showing Poirot ditching the mustache. That felt like a solid resolution to the character, and I can't picture a third movie with a mustache-less Poirot. It's be like if Darth Vader didn't wear his helmut all through Return Of The Jedi.

Didn't like this as much as Murder On The Orient Express, both because that one caught me by surprise, and because the train was such a strong setting. I didn't feel a strong sense of being trapped on the boat or even all of its geography.

Old 02-12-22, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I would have expected a third film too, until the final shot
Spoiler:
showing Poirot ditching the mustache. That felt like a solid resolution to the character, and I can't picture a third movie with a mustache-less Poirot. It's be like if Darth Vader didn't wear his helmut all through Return Of The Jedi.

Didn't like this as much as Murder On The Orient Express, both because that one caught me by surprise, and because the train was such a strong setting. I didn't feel a strong sense of being trapped on the boat or even all of its geography.
Well the movie was shot entirely in England with the principle cast. Only some second-unit stuff was shot in Egypt. So that was kind of wonky. You're right having Orient Express actually shoot on a moving train was pretty neat.

This movie got me thinking about Lois Chiles. What a weird and bizarre career. Despite having no discernable acting talents lands big parts in some of the most high-profile movies of the 70s (The Way We Were, Gatsby, Moonraker, Death on the Nile). Disappears from the big screen. Comes back with a solid supporting performance in a widely acclaimed Oscar nominee ten years later (Broadcast News), then nothing but TV work if you exclude Speed 2 (which you should).
Old 02-12-22, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I saw it this afternoon and liked it a lot. I don't think I saw the old 1978 version. If I did, I was too young to remember it. But, anyways, it's a beautiful looking movie with great costumes and sets. The ensemble cast was great. I also thought the flashback with the de-aged Poirot looked a little weird.

I had never seen anything with Emma Mackey previously, but I thought she was great as the villainess. That dance she had with Hammer was very sexy. Gadot looked good as well.

It was just cool seeing an old school whodunnit and seeing how Poirot confronts all the suspects and puts all the pieces together. I enjoyed seeing how Poirot figured out that Simon and Jacqueline were working an elaborate murder/get rich scam against Linnet.

Enjoyed this much more than Murder on the Orient Express. I do hope Poirot gets his signature mustache back if they do a third movie.
Old 02-13-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Took my mom to see this yesterday; it as her first movie in over two years. We had both read the book and overall enjoyed it and the subtle changes it made. Good visuals and acting, but like the first, a lot of forced diversification. I did like the curve ball they threw of
Spoiler:
killing Bouc
. Poirot is typically just someone solving the crime due to self interest, this raised the stakes and made it personal.

On a side note, I think whenever they reboot James Bond again with a new actor, Tom Bateman should be considered . I think he's got it, and I also think they should consider letting Branagh direct an installment and maybe play the new M or Q.
Old 02-21-22, 01:27 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Running Time: 127 minutes

This has been delayed multiple times due to the pandemic.
and you know the whole Armie Hammer thing.

really enjoyed it. Love Christie. Love old period pieces. Great and enjoyable Sunday afternoon.
Old 03-10-22, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This will debut March 29th on Hulu and HBO Max in the US
Old 03-11-22, 08:20 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Our kids are off from school so I took our oldest to an early evening show after dinner and we both enjoyed it. Wonderfully shot, the camera lingered on the exotic locale enough for me to long to travel. As usual, I picked up on a ton of clues but didn't necessarily put them together for the finale. A good mix of characters and it felt well-paced.

I'd watch one of these every year, keep making them!
DJariya (03-11-22)
Old 03-11-22, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I saw this back on Presidents’ Day, my third theatrical movie since the shutdown. I thought it was very good, not as much of a surprise as Orient Express but more consistent. It certainly helped that I saw the 1980s movie but didn’t remember the ending, unlike Orient Express.
Old 03-28-22, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk God

This will be on HBO Max and Disney + starting tomorrow for those interested.

I'll probably watch it again.
Why So Blu? (03-28-22)
Old 03-29-22, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Watched it tonight. It was good, but like "Murder on the Orient Express", it had just way too much CGI. And cheap looking CGI at that IMO.
Old 03-29-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This will be on HBO Max and Disney + starting tomorrow for those interested.
I think also on Hulu.
Old 03-29-22, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I think also on Hulu.
Yes, just starting watching about 20 mins. ago.
Old 03-29-22, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Weird. Disney + advertised this on their social media, but I believe it's only on Disney + in international markets. It's on Hulu and HBO Max in the states.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.