Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Halloween Kills?
1.92%
1.92%
17.31%
13.46%
17.31%
19.23%
15.38%
3.85%
3.85%
3.85%
1.92%
Don't care. Either I didn't like the 1st movie or I don't care for horror movies
0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

In 2018, David Gordon Green’s Halloween, starring icon Jamie Lee Curtis, killed at the box office, earning more than $250 million worldwide, becoming the highest-grossing chapter in the four-decade franchise and setting a new record for the biggest opening weekend in history for a horror film starring a woman.

And the Halloween night when Michael Myers returned isn’t over yet.

Minutes after Laurie Strode (Curtis), her daughter Karen (Judy Greer) and granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak) left masked monster Michael Myers caged and burning in Laurie’s basement, Laurie is rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, believing she finally killed her lifelong tormentor.

But when Michael manages to free himself from Laurie’s trap, his ritual bloodbath resumes. As Laurie fights her pain and prepares to defend herself against him, she inspires all of Haddonfield to rise up against their unstoppable monster.

The Strode women join a group of other survivors of Michael’s first rampage who decide to take matters into their own hands, forming a vigilante mob that sets out to hunt Michael down, once and for all.

Evil dies tonight.

Universal Pictures, Miramax, Blumhouse Productions and Trancas International Films present Halloween Kills, co-starring Will Patton as Officer Frank Hawkins, Thomas Mann (Kong: Skull Island) and Anthony Michael Hall (The Dark Knight).

From the returning filmmaking team responsible for the 2018 global phenomenon, Halloween Kills is written by Scott Teems (SundanceTV’s Rectify) and Danny McBride and David Gordon Green based on characters created by John Carpenter and Debra Hill. The film is directed by David Gordon Green and produced by Malek Akkad, Jason Blum and Bill Block. The executive producers are John Carpenter, Jamie Lee Curtis, Danny McBride, David Gordon Green and Ryan Freimann.

Rotten Tomatoes:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/halloween_kills

46% as of 10/14/21

Running time: 106 minutes

Theatrical screenings start tonight. It will also be on Peacock tomorrow.

I plan to see it at 7pm tonight.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-14-21 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Green said there will be an extended cut with an alternate ending when it hits BD

The following users liked this post:
LiquidSky (10-17-21)
Old 10-14-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

A guy I watch on YouTube who’s mainly known for horror reviews didn’t like it. He didn’t like the 2018 film either, but says it’s better in comparison to this one.

Old 10-14-21, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Apparently Bob Odenkirk is in this in a roundabout way. His picture is in a yearbook as Bob from the original film.
Old 10-14-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

I just took a look at my auditorium for my Dolby Cinema show at 7pm and it looks like only about 40 seats are left for an 180 seat showing. Not bad. Pretty much most the later shows are almost full.
Old 10-14-21, 06:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

I liked 2018. This is review proof for me. I get Peacock so can’t wait. Just rewatched 2018. I like it. What life threatening injuries?

I know she got her head banged more than would kill an NPC in these movies by Mike, but she seemed way fine. Especially ending.

So what did I miss?

Not saying I’ll love it, but can’t be too bad. I live Gordon Green. He’s so diverse and unique. 2018 certainly not unique or even a dash of DGGness, but still fun and really good reboot frankly.
Old 10-14-21, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just got out and had a blast with it. It was filmed here too so that was fun seeing locations. Huge kill count and Myers was a beast.

AMH as Tommy was wild. Dude was insane, buy the mob got a little silly though.

Was not expecting to see Loomis again so that was awesome. And ready to execute Michael in the yard.

Ready to watch it again on Peacock.

Last edited by stingermck; 10-15-21 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-14-21, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I just got back myself.

Usually, when I leave a movie, I just get in my car and drive home listening to some podcast and don't think much about what I just watched. Tonight, I thought about the movie all the way home to process the viewing. It has both good and bad qualities, of course but I was never bored.

I liked it so much more than 2018. Michael Myers was an absolute BEAST in this movie. He does some Jason Voorhees-level murdering in this one. The recreations of sets from the original movie was spot-on, as was CGI Loomis. Technology has come so far that it seems liked Donald Pleasence from 1978 was actually in these flashbacks.

But, I didn't care for them killing most of the characters from the original movie or in the way they did so. I expected Sheriff Brackett to die, but felt he had no purpose other than to kill another legacy character. And don't think I didn't notice footage of Annie from Halloween II used as a flashback. I understand why they used her dead body on a stretcher, but by this timeline, that movie never happened and I'm left to assume that this is a flashback to something that happened off-screen.

I didn't care for the deaths of Tommy Doyle and Lonnie Elam, either. I don't even understand why Marion Chambers was brought back just to kill AGAIN. She didn't even live in Haddonfield in '78 and now we're expected to believe she moved there and became close friends with Lindsey and Lonnie and integrated herself as a Haddonfield citizen? She seemed forced into the movie for fan service to me. At least they spared Lindsey Wallace... but Laurie didn't do hardly anything in this movie. She didn't even interact with Michael at all. I really liked Alyson this time compared to the first movie, where I found her dull and insufferable.

I liked that we got a lot of insight into Officer Frank Hawkins, even if I did think bringing him back was the worst kind of retconning movies do... and that ending? WTF?

But, overall, the music, the atmosphere, and Michael Myers were awesome and I'm looking forward to next year when Halloween Ends is released. Then, maybe we can get Rudd and Harris back and finish off the Thorn storyline. But I doubt that. Probably just get another reboot set in the 80's or something...
Old 10-15-21, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing it. It was probably an 80-85% full auditorium. I gave it 3 1/2 out of 5.

This was way more violent and gruesome IMO than the 1st movie. Michael was a killing machine here. I was entertained, but there are some eye rolling moments from typical horror tropes they just couldn't avoid.

Totally surprised that they brought back Loomis and recreated him in that flashback. It was really well done and didn't look fake.

The gay couple were fucking morons. They had an opportunity to leave their house and or call the police, but chose to stay inside and found Michael, who butchered both of them. I think they spent too much time on them.

Laurie was relegated to more of a supporting character in this due to her injuries. I think that somewhat hurt the movie. Curtis didn't really do much at all. They shifted most of the focus to Karen, Allyson and Tommy. A lot of these supporting characters I didn't really care about.

I also thought the whole mob scene was kind of silly. That whole sequence pretty much went nowhere.

The music, atmosphere and Michael being a killing machine kept me entertained, But IMO the 1st movie was better. And I didn't expect the final scene with them killing off Karen. I assume that's going to set off Laurie for her final showdown with Michael in the final movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-15-21 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-15-21, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, just finished watching it and it was ok. I think the 2018 version was much more structured than this one. As was already mentioned, bringing back legacy characters played by the actual actors to have them butchered was pointless. Some of the "nobody" characters were dumb as shit. The way the black girl in the nurse outfit -- her death was lame. I could almost hear the looney tunes play during that one. I also didn't care for the mob mental patient sub-plot. That made the film drag. Both "Johns" were also lame.

I have no idea where Halloween Ends will go. Michael is a supernatural force now. The gore was cool and the music score was awesome. Here's hoping the 4K disc and the extended cut with alternate ending will raise the score up a notch. I watched it in 4K HDR / 5.1 on Peacock Premium Plus.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-15-21 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-15-21, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. This was just okay in my opinion. There was a lot of carnage, but to be honest I wasn’t really scared at all. The 2018 film was much more effective in that regard. This just felt like the filmmakers wanted to see how much gore and over the top kills they could fit in.

I know Michael is a supernatural force to be reckoned with, but the way he took out that entire group at the end after the beating he endured was kind of dumb in my opinion.

Same complaint at the beginning of the film truthfully. Michael was trapped in a fire for a while at least, and manages to escape almost unscathed, and takes out a group of firefighters who were equipped with different instruments that could be used as weapons.

Not quite sure how Michael got back to his house unnoticed, and managed to kill Karen. She was kinda dumb for going back there in the first place, but I didn’t quite get how that happened honestly.

Far and away the best part of the film is the opening ten minutes or so where we get the flashback to the night of the original film.

I really don’t know what they’re going to do with Halloween Ends either. It feels like there was some mandate to do a trilogy, but if we’re being real Michael could have just died and things could have wrapped up here.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-15-21 at 02:08 AM.
Why So Blu? (10-15-21)
Old 10-15-21, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Damn that was intense.

Myers in Pure Beast Mode the entire film.
Old 10-15-21, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

When Judy Greer took Michael’s mask instead of
putting that one back on he should have put on a hockey mask. It would have been more appropriate.

EVIL DIES TONIGHT! EVIL DIES TONIGHT!!!!

Having lost all expectation of this being a worthy entry into the Halloween franchise after how lame 2018 was, I managed to enjoy this one much more. There was so much stupid stuff in this movie. The first one brought Michael Myers back for no particular reason, so I don’t know why I thought they would bring back Tommy, Brackett, Marion, Lindsay and Lonnie and actually have some kind of plot reason or emotional resonance for the characters. They brought them back for no reason and killed them for no reason. As a Halloween movie, this was awful, as a way to spend 100 minutes , it was a fun ride.
Old 10-15-21, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Come to find out Loomis was not CGI
“Our art director, coincidentally, on this movie, looks exactly like Donald Pleasence. So, we were like, We’ll just get him to do it, and we’ll do this thing, and we’ll recreate it. Like, Who’s so lucky on their own movie set to have a look-alike of the guy from 40 years ago?
https://hollywoodlife.com/2021/09/22...ene-interview/
Old 10-15-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

There were both good things and bad things about this movie. First, how is there even enough time in the night and size of that tiny town for Michael to have done all that he did in the first movie and nobody at the bar or anywhere else had a clue that he was pillaging their tiny town? I could have bought that in the 70s or 80s when there was no social media or cellphones, but not today. Yes, the kills were quite brutal and showcased just how much of a soulless animal he is. Makes me think of how the Original Night Stalker likely crept around the scenes of his crimes before committing his murders.

Also, this had an insurrection in it way before that ever happened in real life. The "Evil Dies Tonight" chant reminded me too much of the "Stop the Steal". My daughter and I talked about how we have never seen so many people frantically rushing around in a hospital. It was unintentionally comical. And chasing one of the shortest guys around thinking he is Michael Myers when he could have been Danny Devito. Come on! At least have someone of comparable height and size. I'm still looking forward to seeing how this saga ends.
Old 10-15-21, 08:57 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

I really enjoyed this movie. I loved all the nods to the original film. The Michael Myers scenes were excellent with lots of creative and bloody kills. It dragged a little with everyone giving monologues. And the "Evil Dies Tonight" posse was kinda dumb. But I had a blast watching this. It's a great slasher flick. This is going on my annual Halloween watchlist.
Old 10-15-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think all of you guys have valid opinions. That's awesome!

But here's what I don't get.

I can't fathom having any joy seeing people getting their eyes gouged out, getting a fork in the eye, a grandmother getting a broken light rod stuck in their throat, a firefighter getting a buzz-saw to the body, etc.

I hate the Halloween sequels where they try to top Michael killings to just pure gore, for the sake of being gory. Michael should be more of a methodical killer, more of a stalker.

This is just a mindless slasher film. This lacks the artistic quality of the original.

This movie basically turned Michael Myers into Jason Voorhees, which I believe is not the right direction for his character.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 10-15-21 at 11:09 AM.
Spiderbite (10-26-21)
Old 10-15-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They also gave Michael some speed. In the flashback scene he literally runs at the cop and smashes him against the wall. There were other scenes throughout the film when he engaged the firefighters, mob at the end, he literally went into sprint mode.

Old 10-15-21, 11:35 AM

One other change in Michael's character which I totally did not like was this:

I didn't like how cruel they made some of his killings.

Sure, some of the past killings have been brutal (such as the nurse in Halloween II who was repeatedly dunked into scalding water), but there was no psychological edge on top of them.

Having Michael 1) plunge 4 kitchen knives into an old guy's back and that guy's dying wife
having to watch ; 2) and Cameron's brutal death, where Michael basically displays him in a way that Allison can see, and then Michael twists and breaks his neck?

I get that David Gordon Green is trying to make this the Empire Strikes Back of the new Halloween trilogy, but he went a bit too far.

There was a certain level of distastefulness in this move that I totally did not like.

Pointyskull (04-20-22)
Old 10-15-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did think the part where he repeatedly stabbed the old guy after he was dead was a bit much. Cameron’s death was overdone too, but I think it was to further mess with Allyson.
Old 10-15-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've read folks comment on the old guy's death in that it puts the audience in the victim's POV since the woman is still alive when he's still stabbing him. As if Michael is putting on a show for his prey. The film has so many problems that that wasn't even an issue for me.
Old 10-15-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought he was just trying out different knives, since he stops for a second and looks after each one, until he found one to leave with.
story (10-15-21)
Old 10-15-21, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Given I wasn't a big fan of Halloween 2018, the bar on Halloween Kills was rather low and... pretty much met it. While some of the deaths were pretty gruesome, the rest was kind of bland and character decisions as dumb as others. Like the initial sequel, Halloween II, Jamie Lee Curtis spends the bulk of her time in the hospital.

There was also a scene early on when Michael fights a bunch of firefighters just came off as silly looking, maybe because I'm so used to seeing him butcher people one by one, the shot, beyond being clumsily choreographed, showed him taking on 5-6 people; just looked strange.

I don't know, there's not a whole lot to this sequel and like Halloween '18, not sure I look forward to revisiting. **/*****
Old 10-15-21, 04:55 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I liked it a lot more than the last one... but that ending... come on...
Old 10-15-21, 05:00 PM

Yeah, and if they do the inevitable kill off Laurie Strode in the final stand-off in the third movie, I'm really going to write off this trilogy for sure.

I know there's a clause in Moustapha Akkad's original contract that you cannot kill Michael Myers, so as long as his son Malek Akkad is alive, you can rest assured there will be more Halloween reboots/sequels in the future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.