Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Enough Left In The Tank For One More?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

As most of you here I’d assume, most of my favorite directors have been coasting on fumes or basically inactive for years.
Do you think the likes of John Carpenter, Brian De Palma, Joe Dante or John Landis have one more good movie left in them?
Those are just a few mind you.
Also do you think it all boils down to loss of creativity or are there other factors at play? Did they make too many duds so they can’t get financing? Maybe it’s just a different era and their strengths just aren’t relevant today.
Old 10-07-21, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Enough Left In The Tank For One More?

If they make a good movie I guess they did. I don't think any of those guys would have much problem getting money from a studio like Disney to direct a Marvel property. There are so many places they could go for funding now, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Paramount, etc. All starved for content.

Last edited by Eric F; 10-07-21 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
story (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I can’t think of an example really. I would love to see Joe Dante do a third Gremlins.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-07-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

They're also getting pretty old, De Palma is 81 now and the others are all over 70. Since so much directing is sitting at a computer these days, I'd imagine seniors would be getting pretty damned tired of it. It's not easy sitting down at a desk and staring at a screen all day. It's probably way more invigorating on a set moving around, even if only for a few hours a day. Walter Hill and John Woo are my guys but Hill is nearing 80 and Woo is 75 and I doubt they've got much energy left for the kinds of movies they're known for. I'm glad I got THE ASSIGNMENT from Hill and MANHUNT from Woo in the last 5 years. I'll settle for that. The only directors working today I'm eager to see more from, off the top of my head, are Tarantino and anime directors Mamoru Hosoda and Hideaki Anno. Oh, and youngsters like Greta Gerwig, whose LITTLE WOMEN I loved.

Not many of the great old Hollywood directors were very productive after 70. John Huston was a rare case who kept turning them out, some good some bad.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-07-21 at 07:06 PM.
IBJoel (10-08-21)
Old 10-07-21, 07:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

None. Hell, I don’t think even Spielberg has any left in him. Coppola as well.
Old 10-07-21, 11:18 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Cronenberg is the only one left of the excellent 80's horror directors whom I think still has the potential to churn out a great movie. He is working on a new flick, Crimes of the Future, which sounds more akin to his earlier filmography, which would be cool since you can see his body horror influence in a a lot of new stuff like Possessor, Titane and Brand New Cherry Flavor.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-07-21, 11:50 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Scorsese is another one that has still made relevant movies throughout his whole career. Along with Eastwood.
I guess the question I was really asking was why aren’t the aforementioned directors making films anymore?
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-08-21, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
If they make a good movie I guess they did. I don't think any of those guys would have much problem getting money from a studio like Disney to direct a Marvel property. There are so many places they could go for funding now, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Paramount, etc. All starved for content.
I don’t know, man. Francis Ford Coppola has made 4 of the greatest movies ever and he seems to have to get a new mortgage on his vineyard every time he wants to make a movie.

I think life just catches up to these directors and they either have nothing more to say or they’ve been changed so much over the course of their lives, what they do have to say isn’t the same as when they were younger. Spielberg is a prime example. His view on making movies has changed drastically since he had kids, got divorced, remarried, etc. he doesn’t have the same voice he had when he was churning out his classics.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (10-08-21), John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-08-21, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Surprised Netflix or Amazon has not approached some them to do a movie for them. Not a lot of risk IMHO and name recognition would get people to turn in.

Old 10-08-21, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
None. Hell, I don’t think even Spielberg has any left in him.
I grew up on early Spielberg like CE3K and Indiana Jones. When we watched Ready Player One a while back, I didn't realize he directed it at first, and when his name came up in the credits it was like a gut punch. The movie was so shallow and lacking in substance. Some very cool concepts, but nothing of importance done with them.

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Surprised Netflix or Amazon has not approached some them to do a movie for them. Not a lot of risk IMHO and name recognition would get people to turn in.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...al-1235001513/
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-08-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I grew up on early Spielberg like CE3K and Indiana Jones. When we watched Ready Player One a while back, I didn't realize he directed it at first, and when his name came up in the credits it was like a gut punch. The movie was so shallow and lacking in substance. Some very cool concepts, but nothing of importance done with them.
Yep. A sci-fi movie focusing on 80s pop culture references should have been a slam dunk for Spielberg. Instead we got a completely hollow, mess of a movie with absolutely no substance. Such a disappointment.
Old 10-08-21, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yep. A sci-fi movie focusing on 80s pop culture references should have been a slam dunk for Spielberg. Instead we got a completely hollow, I mess of a movie with absolutely no substance. Such a disappointment.
I think Spielberg was too close to it. Someone like Edgar Wright would have killed it.

I wish someone like Netflix or Amazon would give John Waters money to make a TV show.
The following 2 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
IBJoel (10-11-21), John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-08-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

If there is one director I think has one last masterpiece left in him, it would be Francis Ford Coppola and Megalopolis. But time is running out.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-08-21, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Scorsese is another one that has still made relevant movies throughout his whole career. Along with Eastwood.
I guess the question I was really asking was why aren’t the aforementioned directors making films anymore?
My understanding is John Carpenter has essentially retired, aside from producing remakes/sequels (which I believe in certain interviews for specific ones, all he really had to do was sign his name and he bragged that he got a giant pay check for essentially no work) and doing music scores for stuff like the new Halloween movies (but even those, I believe he does in collaboration with his son). He also said in an interview that he spends most of his days playing video games so I just don't think he's motivated to make anymore movies, and I'm pretty sure he has more than enough money so regardless of what Netflix or whomever threw at him, I doubt he'd take it...Pretty sure he's in his '80s...I guess I'd like to see him back in action one more time but I worry about what the project would look like...(NOTE: I did love the first Masters of Horror episode he directed, but hated the second one. Maybe if they had another horror anthology he could tackle an episode. It'd probably only be 45-60 minutes long, so not nearly as arduous as a movie...maybe he'd be up for that but I doubt it, unless he really, really loved the script).

I think De Palma struggles to get financing, but he's still eager to make movies (at least that's my understanding). Cronenberg is one of the most spry people on the planet so despite his age, he gets financing, and I think he'll actually make another couple of movies after the one he's currently doing. It does help that he's Canadian so there's not quite as much competition as there is in the U.S. when it comes to getting grants from the government and whatnot...

Coppola continues to try and make Megalopolis, which would be great, but I still have my doubts it'll happen.

Those are the main guys I'd like to see continue making films...however unlikely I think that is...
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-09-21, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I think Twin Peaks The Return shows that David Lynch still has something left to say as far as movies go. I just wish someone would finance him.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-10-21, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I think Twin Peaks The Return shows that David Lynch still has something left to say as far as movies go. I just wish someone would finance him.
He has a deal with Netflix and is apparently making something going under the name Wisteria.

In the meantime you can see him every day on his YouTube channel giving weather reports and picking a number from his jar.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-10-21, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Michael Mann hasn't made a film since 2015. I'd like to see something new from him.
Boondock Saint (10-10-21)
Old 10-10-21, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Michael Mann hasn't made a film since 2015. I'd like to see something new from him.
Maybe he could do a sequel or two to that cool little flick he did in the 80s: Manhunter. Such a neat concept, too bad they never went anywhere with it.
Old 10-10-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Wish that Miami Vice movie did better. Wasn't a big fan before but over the years come to really like it.
Old 10-10-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

George Miller needs to do as many Mad Max films as possible.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)