Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain (2021)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14513892/

I can think of very few more worthy subjects of a documentary than this man. This has leaped up to second place behind Dune on my most-anticipated films of the rest of the year list. It will premiere at Tribeca.
Old 06-07-21, 05:45 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain (2021)

I'll check this out during Tribeca.
Old 06-07-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I was never really of fan of Bourdain but that documentary looks pretty incredible. Some of the lines just in that trailer seemed pretty profound.
Old 06-08-21, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain (2021, D: Neville)

It’s not where you go. It’s what you leave behind . . . Chef, writer, adventurer, provocateur: Anthony Bourdain lived his life unabashedly. Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain is an intimate, behind-the-scenes look at how an anonymous chef became a world-renowned cultural icon. From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Morgan Neville (20 Feet From Stardom, Won’t You Be My Neighbor?), this unflinching look at Bourdain reverberates with his presence, in his own voice and in the way he indelibly impacted the world around him.

This comes out in theatres July 16th

It's from the director of Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I loved Bourdain and his shows and I will see this next month. And it seems like they're going to examine more of his psyche and would could have led to his depression and passing from that trailer.

and today is actually the 3 year anniversary of his death (June 8, 2018)
Old 06-08-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks for merging. I typed in Roadrunner and it wasn't coming up in a search.
Old 06-13-21, 08:38 AM

I watched this last night. It was really good and I assume anyone who is a fan of Bourdain (and even if you may not be) will really enjoy it.
It seemed like they used excerpts from his audio books as narration.
It did feel a little long and obviously gets dark towards the end. He really did seem out of sorts and worn down in that final footage. It seems pretty apparent that those close to him and on the crew were not a fan of Asia Argento.

There were CNN and HBO Max logos at the start, so this will make its way to those avenues eventually. Weird that Universal owned Focus is theatrical distribution.
Old 06-18-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this, I was a big fan of Bourdain (can't believe he's already been gone for three years).

Old 07-07-21, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Pre-sale tickets are available for this as of today. This opens next week. Playing at 2 theatres near me, a Regal and Harkins. I'll likely hit the Regal.

Can't wait to see this. God I've missed Bourdain in the 3 years he's been gone. I'm sure a lot of this will be footage taken from his shows, but I do hope it will give some insight into his final days.
Old 07-07-21, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pre-sale tickets are available for this as of today. This opens next week. Playing at 2 theatres near me, a Regal and Harkins. I'll likely hit the Regal.

Can't wait to see this. God I've missed Bourdain in the 3 years he's been gone. I'm sure a lot of this will be footage taken from his shows, but I do hope it will give some insight into his final days.
A decent amount of footage is from around the time when Kitchen Confidential came out. There's a good chunk about the final days, interviewing the crew, directors, etc. Like I said, they did not seem to be very fond of Asia Argento and the impact she had on the show.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-07-21)
Old 07-11-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I'll see this later this week. I'm curious how many others will also be in attendance.
Old 07-15-21, 10:19 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'll see this later this week. I'm curious how many others will also be in attendance.
I saw this earlier this evening. I thought it was very well made, but - and I apologize for the potential threadcrap - my main reaction is that I don't find Anthony Bourdain nearly as interesting as I thought I did. For much of the movie I was honestly kinda bored.
Old 07-16-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really liked it. I was surprised they devoted as much time to his time with Asia as they did. Some in the audience was audience was audibly sadden when the the discussion covered his end.
Old 07-17-21, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I saw this earlier this evening. I thought it was very well made, but - and I apologize for the potential threadcrap - my main reaction is that I don't find Anthony Bourdain nearly as interesting as I thought I did. For much of the movie I was honestly kinda bored.
That was a bit of my reaction. Also, in the end, it was kind of hard for me to separate the man from his final act.
Old 07-18-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing it. I loved it. But, I wish this film would have never been made. You got a lot of insight into Bourdain's mind both good and bad.

I have a feeling Asia Argento is going to get a lot of hate tweets and messages because the film seemed to portray that she was a really bad influence and fucked with Bourdain's already fragile head. Her "alleged" cheating in the tabloids seemed to put him over the edge. I've followed Bourdain since he did a A Cook's Tour on Food Network. You could see that he changed a lot once he got involved with Argento. He started smoking again after quitting and he looked like he aged a lot in that final year.

I started tearing up hearing his friends accounts of his final year, including when he fired his long-time cameraman. And I didn't realize what a trainwreck that Hong Kong Parts Unknown episode was because of Argento's involvement.

It's a really good documentary. I hope it does get consideration for an Academy Award for best documentary.

Also, I did notice the CNN Films and HBO Max production in the credits. I assume this will get a run on HBO Max later this year as dex14 mentioned.

The part where the movie got some criticism for was the email that was sent to David Choe and they digitally recreated Bourdain's voice as he was reading it. That was kind of weird and didn't sound natural.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-18-21 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 04:25 PM

Free virtual screening: https://insider.focusfeatures.com/ev...cb87-102546113
Old 01-06-22, 12:05 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Watched this tonight. Decent fan of Bourdain. I read his first book and enjoyed his show, but didnt' catch much of it towards the end. Was out of the loop really and didn't know much about the Asia Argento dating and him subsequently finding out about her infidelity. So that more or less says he killed himself over a girl. Which I can't get behind or really feel sorry for. There's no great reason to kill youreslf, but a break-up is way way at the bottom. It sucks he suffered and clearly had bumps in the road, but just damn. The man was surrounded by good friends that day too. Anyone who is a fan of him or his show would love watching this. Lots of insight into his life.
Old 01-06-22, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Wasnt this supposed to come to HBO Max at some point?
Old 01-06-22, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

It made money so it's likely been delayed a little while as it soaks up VOD $$. But as far as I know, still scheduled to air on CNN and be added to HBO Max.
Old 03-03-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

If you still have not seen this yet and haven't purchased it, You can watch it for free on CNN on March 13th

ROADRUNNER: A Film About Anthony Bourdain to Premiere Sunday, March 13 at 9PM Eastern on CNN

Morgan Neville-Directed Documentary and Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown Marathon to air in Tribute to Late Writer, Chef, Cultural Philosopher

ROADRUNNER: A Film About Anthony Bourdain, about the life of the cultural explorer, writer, and chef Anthony Bourdain, will have its broadcast premiere Sunday, March 13 at 9:00pm and 11:30pm Eastern, with limited commercial interruption. The film is directed by Academy Award-winner Morgan Neville, produced by Neville’s Tremolo Productions, and commissioned by CNN Films and HBO Max.

Bourdain launched onto the cultural scene with his wildly successful memoir Kitchen Confidential (2000), which captured stories from his years working in the restaurant trade. Neville’s film traces Bourdain’s rapid transformation that followed, from line cook to celebrated global-trotting explorer, and renowned television host. Bourdain achieved more than he could have imagined and yet, like so many others, sometimes had conflicted feelings about his success. Neville synthesized the essence of thousands of hours of Bourdain’s professional archive, family photos, home video, personal letters, and more than 30, original interviews of people close to Bourdain during his life, to develop a compelling portrait.

Bourdain’s curiosity for understanding the world was infectious, and his passion for sharing that enthusiasm with armchair voyagers radically changed the genre of travel and food television. His dispatches never caricaturized the cultures he explained, and he was equally never condescending to his audience. Bourdain was perhaps the only guide to ever show a mass television audience places like Myanmar, Iran, Koreatown, West Virginia, Colombia, or Cajun Mardi Gras, with the same reverence for the people, their history, and experiences, as he held for their food.

Leading up to the premiere of the film, CNN will broadcast a marathon of episodes of the Emmy® Award-winning CNN Original Series Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown Episodes airing during the marathon include:
  • The French Alps with three-Michelin starred chef and close friend Eric Ripert;
  • Lyon, France with chef and Bourdain mentor Daniel Boulud;
  • Sichuan, China also with chef Eric Ripert;
  • Vietnam, which includes an interview with President Barack Obama;
  • Tokyo, Japan, with sushi chef Yasuda; and,
  • Honshu Island, Japan with three-Michelin starred chef Masa Takayama

Lydia Tenaglia and Christopher Collins, founders of Zero Point Zero Production (ZPZ), creative collaborators with Bourdain for nearly two decades, including Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown, and Kimberly Witherspoon, Bourdain’s longtime agent and literary executor, are all consulting producers for ROADRUNNER, and are among those interviewed for the film. ROADRUNNER premiered at the 2021 Tribeca Film Festival before its theatrical run that saw it become among the top 10 most successful documentary releases of the year.

During the March 13 premiere, ROADRUNNER: A Film About Anthony Bourdain, will also stream live for subscribers via CNNgo (www.CNN.com/go and via CNNgo apps for AppleTV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Samsung Smart TV, and Android TV) and on the CNN mobile apps for iOS and Android. The film will be available on demand via cable/satellite systems, CNNgo platforms, and CNN mobile apps, beginning Monday, March 14, through Wednesday, April 6. While watching the film, viewers can comment and interact with others across social media platforms using the hashtag #Roadrunner.
Old 05-23-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, this will finally premiere on HBO Max June 9th.

So if you still haven't seen this yet and don't have cable and didn't watch the CNN airings, it's coming soon to HBO Max.
Old 05-23-22, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. I've already seen it but I'd like to see it again.