Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Munsters (2022, D: Rob Zombie)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-19-21, 07:01 PM

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,976 Posts

On the road to his brand new album releasing today (March 12), titled The Lunar Injection Kool Aid Eclipse Conspiracy, an unconfirmed report hit the net this week claiming that Universal Pictures has hired Rob Zombie to direct a new feature film centered on “The Munsters,” the lovable family of monsters that we know Zombie to be a *massive* fan of.

Zombie, in fact, recently joined “The Munsters” star Butch Patrick for a commentary track for the film Munster, Go Home, released on Blu-ray by Scream Factory last year.

The initial reporting came courtesy of Murphy’s Multiverse, with the site additionally noting that “Production on the film is currently set to begin in Budapest in early May.”

Murphy’s Multiverse also went on to report that Sheri Moon Zombie and Jeff Daniel Phillips will be playing Lily and Herman Munster in the Rob Zombie-penned film, with the cast also including Richard Brake, Dan Roebuck, Jorge Garcia and Cassandra (Elvira) Peterson.

Like Tim Burton being paired with “The Addams Family,” Rob Zombie is needless to say a natural fit for “The Munsters” franchise, but that alone certainly does not mean any this reporting has any validity. Our own attempts to confirm or debunk the report (which we’ll call a “rumor,” for now) are ongoing, with no official comments from Zombie or Universal at this time.

But here’s what we *do* know…

While these reports should be taken with a grain of salt for now, it’s interesting to note that “Doctor Who” actor Sylvester McCoy (who is not listed in the Murphy’s Multiverse report, it’s also interesting to note) had mentioned in various interviews dating back to this past September that he would be appearing in Rob Zombie’s next movie, and wouldn’t ya know it, he had noted in those interviews that the film would be shooting in Hungary.

Budapest, of course, is the capital of Hungary, the reported filming location for the project Murphy’s Multiverse is claiming to be some kind of feature film take on “The Munsters.”

“It’s a horror comedy which was supposed to be shot in Hungary but that has been put on hold. I can’t really say anything about that but it’s a film that Rob Zombie’s set to direct. So we’ll just have to wait and see what happens with that project. Hopefully we’ll start to try making it again next year,” McCoy had told Scream Magazine in September 2020, while promoting home invasion thriller The Owners. He told The Sunday Post around the same time, “I’m due to go to Hungary in March to shoot a film for Rob Zombie, who’s asked me to be in his new movie.”

“It’s a comedic Dracula film, and I’m playing Dracula’s butler,” McCoy added in that interview.

The most recent mention of this mysterious Dracula project from McCoy came courtesy of a Yahoo interview in February 2021, wherein the actor noted that the project is back on.

“I’m doing a Rob Zombie film in Hungary,” McCoy told Yahoo, suggesting that the pandemic delayed the filming of the movie but that it’s gearing up to begin shooting here in 2021.

It would seem that the project McCoy is referring to and the project Murphy’s Multiverse reported on this week are one-and-the-same, with McCoy’s comments confirming that Zombie is indeed getting ready to shoot a horror-comedy in Budapest this year. Whether or not that’s actually a “Munsters” movie, however, we cannot say with any certainty at this time.

Stay tuned for more as we continue digging into this one.
It was reported last month (by Murphy’s Multiverse) that Rob Zombie would be getting back behind the camera for this next horror project, a new interpretation of The Munsters, which would film this coming May in Budapest.

From what I’m hearing, and I have not been able to confirm this, The Munsters is actually going to be a Peacock original/exclusive that will open day-and-date in theaters via Universal Pictures/UPHE, similar to what Warner Bros. is doing with HBO Max. It’s a great way to strengthen the return on a larger budgeted risk like The Munsters, which is reportedly in the $30M-$40M range.

Digressing, when originally reported, Murphy’s Multiverse went on to write that Sheri Moon Zombie and Jeff Daniel Phillips will be playing Lily and Herman Munster in the Rob Zombie-penned film, with the cast also including Richard Brake, Dan Roebuck, Jorge Garcia and Cassandra (Elvira) Peterson.

More as we learn it.

Zombie, a massive “Munsters” fan, recently joined star Butch Patrick for a commentary track for the film Munster, Go Home, released on Blu-ray by Scream Factory last year.

If you want to revisit the original series, “The Munsters” is streaming now on Peacock.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...clusive-rumor/
Old 04-19-21, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 486 Likes on 330 Posts
Re: The Munsters (D: Rob Zombie)

This makes me really sad. I fully understand this doesn’t erase the tv show, but I really hoped he wouldn’t get around to fucking up one of my favorite childhood tv shows.
Old 04-19-21, 07:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 514 Likes on 449 Posts

No. Just no.
Old 04-19-21, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

My takeaway? Adams Family belongs to Barry Sonnenfeld, not Tim Burton. Those movies are great.
Old 04-19-21, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
My takeaway? Adams Family belongs to Barry Sonnenfeld, not Tim Burton. Those movies are great.
Tim Burton is making an Addams Family show focused on Wednesday for Netflix.
Old 04-19-21, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

No. No no no no NO! I love Rob Zombie as a musician (not so much a film maker), but this is truly abysmal news. I fondly remember watching this show in syndication during the 70's with my Dad when I was a young kid. He watched it in the 60's and wanted to share it with me. Great memories. It will be interesting what Howard Stern thinks about this. He's very close with Zombie and "The Munsters" is his all-time favorite show. I need to make sure I tune in to his show tomorrow to see if he talks about it. As loyal as he is to Rob, I bet he'll be against this too.
Old 04-19-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

My condolences to anyone who gives a fuck about The Munsters. I'll probably check it out due to morbid curiosity.

If you happen to hear what Howard says and think of it please post it here. Haven't listened in a decade but have heard him talk about his love of the show many times. Curious to hear what he thinks as well and doubt it'll be front page news.
Old 04-20-21, 09:37 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I heard the first 90 minutes will be backstory for Herman Munster, with the remaining 30 minutes being a recap of the original pilot episode.
The following 2 users liked this post by Groucho:
majorjoe23 (04-20-21), MysterioMan007 (05-22-21)
Old 04-20-21, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
If you happen to hear what Howard says and think of it please post it here. Haven't listened in a decade but have heard him talk about his love of the show many times. Curious to hear what he thinks as well and doubt it'll be front page news.
Since he’s good friends with Zombie, I doubt he’ll say anything negative.
Old 04-20-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My condolences to anyone who gives a fuck about The Munsters. I'll probably check it out due to morbid curiosity.

The very first thing Howard started talking about this morning was Rob Zombie. But as it turns out, today's show was a repeat. And he was just talking about finally speaking with him again after not being in touch for awhile. Damn. Will have to wait until next week (or the week after) when they return from another vacation.
Old 04-20-21, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

Received 769 Likes on 577 Posts

My condolences to anyone who gives a fuck about The Munsters.
This. Same for Zombie. Nothing he’s done has been re-watchable.
Old 04-20-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 756 Likes on 616 Posts

Never really watched The Munsters so I don’t have an attachment or reason I don’t want this made. It seems somewhat weird for Zombie just because the show was a comedy and he mostly does horror.
Old 04-20-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 567 Likes on 424 Posts

I take comfort in the fact that people are qualifying their affection for The Munsters, by noting that they loved it when they were children because I've watched some reruns on COZI and the show is pretty bad.

Always LOL at Ben Stiller as Eddie. My father was Frankenstein and my mother was Vampira, and for some reason, I'm a Wolf-boy!?!?
Old 04-20-21, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

I’m not familiar with Jeff Daniel Phillips, but I looked him up and he’s got kind of a Fred Gwynne-ish face.

Old 04-20-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 486 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I take comfort in the fact that people are qualifying their affection for The Munsters, by noting that they loved it when they were children because I've watched some reruns on COZI and the show is pretty bad.

Always LOL at Ben Stiller as Eddie. My father was Frankenstein and my mother was Vampira, and for some reason, I'm a Wolf-boy!?!?
I have the complete series on dvd and I watched it last year during covid. I’ll admit it’s not the pinnacle of comedy, but it’s still a good show. I always preferred it to the Addams Family. Although I enjoy that too.
Old 04-20-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

I grew up watching the show in reruns when I was little, and I actually have very old memories of being scared of Herman Munster, I must have been around 5 at the time. Eventually became a staple of my after school television watching along with I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched and Gilligan's Island.
Old 04-20-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,124 Posts

As a kid I seemed to have been directed toward The Addams Family instead of The Munsters. It must have been the frequency that The Addams Family played on daytime TV reruns over how little The Munsters was played.

Either way, while I prefer The Addams Family, I don’t really have much love for either of them. My first thought upon seeing this thread was, “Zombie is an odd choice to direct.” My second thought was, “At least it’s not Tim Burton.”
Old 04-20-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Never really watched The Munsters so I don’t have an attachment or reason I don’t want this made. It seems somewhat weird for Zombie just because the show was a comedy and he mostly does horror.

His horror films are very humorous. Just not intentionally.

Lily was smokin...I was quite fond of her as a kid.

Last edited by d2cheer; 04-20-21 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-22-21)
Old 04-20-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 756 Likes on 616 Posts

I suppose that is true given the over the topness of his films that are either laughably bad or unintentionally funny. Plus he does use some black comedy. I’m just curious if he’ll make a straight comedy and actually succeed as he’s only done horror as far as I’m aware.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-22-21)
Old 04-20-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Old 04-20-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I grew up in the days of 4-5 stations and syndicated TV series packages. When I was a teen (or maybe a little older) The Munsters was one of those shows that ran every day at 6pm and I watched the whole run more than a few times because that's what was on. While it certainly was dopey, the stars (Gwynne, Lewis, DeCarlo) were real pros and they knew how to play that style of Comedy.
There's a guy out there on you.tube who puts together these "essays" on comedy shows of the past, and there's been a surprising number of Munster re-boots, reunions and TV-movies.
Old 04-20-21, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I suppose that is true given the over the topness of his films that are either laughably bad or unintentionally funny. Plus he does use some black comedy. I’m just curious if he’ll make a straight comedy and actually succeed as he’s only done horror as far as I’m aware.
The Haunted World of El Superbeasto was pretty much a straight comedy (though as you'd expect from Zombie, a pretty crude one). Redband trailer in spoiler tag:
Spoiler:

Like a few of you, I watched lots of Munsters when I was a kid. And I realize it doesn't hold up so well. The Mockingbird Lane pilot (which never went to series) from several years ago with Jerry O'Connell I remember was kind of an interesting "reimagining". Though I could get how execs didn't see it having legs as a new series.

I never got around to watching Zombie's last 2 movies (31 and 3 From Hell) after seeing everything else from him. They just looked like more of the same, and I felt tired of his style. Maybe Zombie will surprise on this. It's not like The Munsters is some sacred property to me. If it ends up looking bad, I can just ignore it.
Old 05-22-21, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
The very first thing Howard started talking about this morning was Rob Zombie. But as it turns out, today's show was a repeat. And he was just talking about finally speaking with him again after not being in touch for awhile. Damn. Will have to wait until next week (or the week after) when they return from another vacation.
He briefly mentioned it at the start of this past Monday's show. He didn't say what the project was, but he said Rob was sending him pictures.
Old 05-22-21, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
He briefly mentioned it at the start of this past Monday's show. He didn't say what the project was, but he said Rob was sending him pictures.
Yeah, I heard that. But for the longest time I thought this show was a rerun until he finally referenced something else current. Because he went on a long rant about George Harrison's son jamming with Prince and Tom Petty from that old concert where they all played. Also found it odd that he wouldn't even mention the Munsters by name. He didn't have to give anything away. My guess is he's not loving the idea. Otherwise he would have elaborated. Just playing it safe so he doesn't cause any ripples in his friendship with Zombie.
Old 06-07-21, 05:38 PM

The film is from Universal Studios via its 1440 Productions division, which means it’s likely going to Peacock instead of getting a theatrical release.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...rs-1234964150/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.