Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Annette (2021, D: Leos Carax) S: Adam Driver, Marion Cotillard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 08:34 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The Cannes Film Festival has announced that Leos Carax’s musical “Annette” will open the 2021 edition and compete for the Palme d’Or as part of the festival’s competition slate. The announcement marks Carax’s return to Cannes competition following his last directorial effort, 2012’s “Holy Motors.” “Annette” was originally set to world premiere at the 2020 Cannes Film Festival, but the pandemic canceled the event and pushed the musical’s premiere into 2021.

“Every Leos Carax film is an event,” Pierre Lescure, President of the Festival de Cannes, said in a statement. “And this one delivers on its promises. ‘Annette’ is the gift that lovers of cinema, music and culture were hoping for, one that we have been yearning for during the past year.”

Added Thierry Frémaux, Cannes’ General Delegate, “We couldn’t have dreamed of a more beautiful reunion with cinema and the silver screen, in the Palais des Festivals where films come to assert their splendor. Carax’s cinema is an expression of these powerful gestures, these mysterious alchemies that makes the secret of cinema’s modernity and eternity.”

“Annette” stars Adam Driver as a stand-up comedian and Marion Cotillard as his wife, a world-famous opera singer. Their glamorous life takes an unexpected turn when their daughter Annette is born, a girl with a unique gift. The film co-stars “The Big Bang Theory” actor Simon Helberg and features original music from the band Sparks.

“The film is completed. It’s coming out later this year,” Sparks told IndieWire at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year. “We think it’s a really special film. It’s uncompromising in all sorts of ways, it’s Adam Driver and it’s a full blown musical. Adam Driver is singing more often than he’s not singing, as well as Marion Cotillard. It’s a unique story and we’re proud it managed to get made.”

Cannes added in a statement: “Mindful of the evolution of the public health situation in Europe and across the world, and the reopening of cultural venues mid-May, The Festival de Cannes continues with confidence and determination the planning of its next edition.”

“Annette” is the first film officially announced for the 2021 Cannes Film Festival. Other delayed titles from the 2020 event, such as Wes Anderson’s “The French Dispatch,” are expected to return for Cannes 2021. This year’s festival is set to take place July 6-17. The official 2021 Cannes lineup will be unveiled in May.

Amazon will release “Annette” in U.S. theaters in late summer.
Old 04-19-21, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Annette (2021, D: Leos Carax) S: Adam Driver, Marion Cotillard

Holy Motors was a masterpiece. I’m game for any Leos Carax.
Old 04-26-21, 03:13 PM

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Annette (2021, D: Carax) S: Adam Driver, Marie Cotillard

Looks like the trailer dropped a few days ago for Annette, the English-language debut for French director Leos Carax. Premieres July 6 at Cannes and in France. I don't start a lot of threads about theatrical releases so if something is missing or something else typically goes here in the OP, please let me know, thanks.

Here's the premise (from Wikipedia):
The film tells the story of a provocative stand-up comedian (Adam Driver) and his wife, a world-famous soprano (Marion Cotillard). Their glamorous life takes an unexpected turn when their daughter Annette is born, a girl with a unique gift.
And from a Rolling Stone article:
Adam Driver, Marion Cotillard, and Simon Helberg star in Annette, a musical romance featuring an original soundtrack by Sparks and directed by French filmmaker Leos Carax (Holy Motors) in his English-language debut. The movie received its first trailer on Monday when it was announced that it will open the 2021 Cannes Film Festival.

Set in contemporary Los Angeles, Annette tells the story of Henry (Driver), a stand-up comedian, and Ann (Cotillard), an internationally renowned singer. When the couple welcomes the birth of their first daughter, they discover that the girl has a destiny ahead of her that will change their lives.
And from UGC Distribution according to IMDB:
Los Angeles, nowadays. Henry is a stand-up comedian with a fierce humor. Ann, an internationally renowned opera singer. Together, under the spotlight, they form a happy and glamorous couple. The birth of their first child, Annette, a mysterious girl with an exceptional destiny, will turn their lives upside down. Written by UGC Distribution
Here's the trailer:

Looks very creepy, tres interresant! I expect nothing less than three twists and that's a good thing.

Given the trailer and synopsis I'm actually going to go ahead with a very, very literal guess - because why not?! - and say...
Spoiler:
Adam Driver's character is a werewolf and the baby is now, too.

Like I said, with a trailer like that I expect some twists!

Old 05-29-21, 11:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

First song is up! It's a banger!
​​​​​​
Old 06-22-21, 01:58 PM

Los Angeles, today. Henry (Adam Driver) is a stand-up comedian with a fierce sense of humor who falls in love with Ann (Marion Cotillard), a world-renowned opera singer. Under the spotlight, they form a passionate and glamorous couple. The birth of their first child, Annette, a mysterious little girl with an exceptional destiny, will turn their lives upside down. A film by visionary director Leos Carax (Holy Motors), with story and music by Ron & Russel Mael of The Sparks, this original musical is a journey of passion, love, and fame.
Old 07-07-21, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Very mixed reception for the Cannes opener.

Currently at 71 on Metacritic
Old 08-19-21, 06:29 AM

Re: Annette (2021, D: Leos Carax) S: Adam Driver, Marion Cotillard

This will be up on Amazon tonight.
Old 08-20-21, 10:51 AM

Well... that was something... I'm not a huge fan of Carax's work. I think The Lovers on the Bridge is probably my favorite (and I use that loosely). The direction in that and Holy Motors do show Carax's flair and how his direction could lend itself well to a musical. And that is where this film does have a lot of strength in direction and cinematography. I really loved the opening number, but that was probably the best one of the songs. Driver and Cotillard are fantastic, but that kind of goes without saying, as they are two of the best actors working today. Definitely not going to be general audience's cup of tea. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either.

I thought it was a bit interesting how part of the plot parallels the Natalie Wood story as well as her film Gypsy.

I saw a lot of headlines about the sex scene, but I didn't see the big deal.

Last edited by dex14; 08-20-21 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-20-21, 11:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

For some reason, I feel like this is a movie that should be watched at like 2am with a big cup of coffee.
Maybe that's what I'll do tonight.
Old 08-20-21, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
For some reason, I feel like this is a movie that should be watched at like 2am with a big cup of coffee.
Maybe that's what I'll do tonight.
Dude... I started this last night and didn't realize how tired I was. I kept falling asleep and waking up and then seeing that fucking baby freaked me out. I had to finish it this morning.
Old 08-22-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I had to take a couple breaks, but I finally finished this.
I have no knowledge of the director. I was only really interested in this because I love Sparks. The baby/child was interesting. Ultimately this just wasn’t my cup of tea.
Old 08-23-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Not a huge Carax fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. I was really impressed by the way Carax handled the often melodramatic and quirky material. The movie is like A Star is Born, but if the male character was a sociopathic comedian and the narrative was more like a Greek tragedy. As with In the Heights, the songs here (courtesy of the Sparks brothers, who also came up with the storyline) are not melodically memorable in a Top-40 pop music kind of way, and there's a lot of sing-speak, but the off-beat soundtrack successfully adds a unique and invigorating layer to a familiar plot, and Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard (and to a lesser extent Simon Helberg, who is definitely a level lower, but manages to hold his own) give mesmerizing performances.