Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer Days, Summer Nights (2021, W/D: Edward Burns)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-25-21, 05:44 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

It’s the summer of 1982 on Long Island and life is good. JJ (Pico Alexander) is working for his dad (Ed Burns) at the Beach Club, when he falls hard for Debbie (Lindsey Morgan). Meanwhile, down the boardwalk, Frankie (Anthony Ramos) reconnects with a long lost love (Caitlin Stasey). But as temperatures cool, so do their relationships, leaving the young men to accept summer is ending. This feel-good, coming-of-age drama swells with nostalgia and is evocative of warm nights and young love.

Us Release Date
Aug 24, 2021

Cast
Pico Alexander, Edward Burns, Zoe Levin, Susan Misner, Lindsey Morgan, Anthony Ramos, Jon Rudnitsky, Amadeus Serafini, Caitlin Stasey, Rita Volk, Carly Brooke, Isabella Farrell, Dan O'Brien Jr., Samantha Buck, Mick Hazen, Charles Aitken, Lydia Styslinger
Now available on digital.

I'm a big fan of Burns' work. I've been wanting to see this for a while.

This originally screened at the Tribeca Film Festival back in 2018 and has been waiting on distribution since. I guess Anthony Ramos' rising star may have helped get this a release. This looks similar in tone and style (and some cast) to Burns' EPIX TV show Bridge and Tunnel.

I don't know what the issue is with Burns getting distribution... he has another film (Beneath the Blue Suburban Skies) that has been sitting for a few years now too. He seems like a perfect type of filmmaker to have an overall deal with a streamer.

Last edited by dex14; 08-25-21 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Summer Days, Summer Nights (2021, W/D: Edward Burns)

I'm sure it'll resonate for some people but, to me, it just looks boring. Everything from Night Ranger to Ramos.
Old 08-25-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I didn't know Edward Burns was still alive. Haven't heard from him in a very long time.

Doesn't look all that interesting.

I hate when shows/movies are set in the 80s, but the hairstyles and clothing aren't truly indicative of the time and it just looks like someone today with a splash of a retro look.
Old 08-25-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

3 things:

Has anybody ever said "This is our last summer before we go off to school" outside a movie?

Why does she say, "These are our last summer before we go off to school"

Burns is still married to Christy Turlington, who looks fucking amazing at 50 years old.
Old 08-25-21, 09:52 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I didn't know Edward Burns was still alive. Haven't heard from him in a very long time.
It's been close to 10 years since he had a feature released. He has been working more in TV as of late. He created Public Morals on TNT a few years back (only lasted a season) and Bridge and Tunnel on EPIX (was recently renewed for a second season).