DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Godzilla vs. Kong (Wingard, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/652713-godzilla-vs-kong-wingard-2021-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 03-28-21 10:58 AM

Godzilla vs. Kong (Wingard, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Godzilla vs. Kong" (Starring: Alexander Skarsgεrd, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Shun Oguri, Kyle Chandler, Demiαn Bichir)

Release Date:
3/31/21

Where:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...278edf9d4d.jpg and in theaters.

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of creature violence/destruction and brief language throughout.)

Running Time:
113m. (1h. 53m.)

Budget:
$200 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Legends collide as Godzilla and Kong, the two most powerful forces of nature, clash on the big screen in a spectacular battle for the ages. As a squadron embarks on a perilous mission into fantastic uncharted terrain, unearthing clues to the Titans' very origins and mankind's survival, a conspiracy threatens to wipe the creatures, both good and bad, from the face of the earth forever. Written by Warner Bros.

End credit sequence(s):
??.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.5 (11,762 votes as of 3/29/21)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Total Critics Count: 34 (79% as of 3/29/21)

Metacritic:
61 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 3/29/21)

Trailer:

Poster Art:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...aafd091445.jpg

DJariya 03-28-21 11:44 AM

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong (Wingard, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Some early box office

OldBoy 03-28-21 12:42 PM

holy shit. that's pretty damn good. i guess no more lockdown in China.

OldBoy 03-29-21 10:25 AM

what exact time does this get released for streaming on Wed?

dex14 03-29-21 11:24 AM

12:01am PT / 3:01am ET

E Unit 03-29-21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13912227)
holy shit. that's pretty damn good. i guess no more lockdown in China.

It helps that this seems to be a much better story and great action. I'm really looking forward to it. I've loved them all, even though most have had a lackluster story. So this will hopefully be the best one.

Inhumans99 03-29-21 11:56 AM

AV Club gave it a B but they also sounded like they really enjoyed watching this film as it give fans what they want, giant monsters pummeling each other for a good chunk of the film. It sounds like nearly the entire back-half of the film is Kong and Godzilla going mano a mano so no scenes with 2-3 minutes of cool monster action and then a cutaway to a humans in a plane/HQ scene, yay.

I may have to stay away from threads like this one until the weekend, as I am not sure I will be able to really sit-back and enjoy the film until the weekend rolls around.

OldBoy 03-29-21 12:27 PM

^ spoiler: two big monsters fight it out in spectacular glory and cause massive destruction and one of them wins ;)

The Antipodean 03-29-21 02:40 PM

Repost from other thread:

Loved it. Just a big ol’ hunk of popcorn movie fun that doesn’t make the Godzilla 2014 mistake of taking it all too seriously. Great monster smashing action and the human parts are less annoying than they sometimes are. I think King of the Monsters is pretty underrated myself and this maybe a little better. The Kong effects are terrific. Saw it on IMAX and my ears are still ringing though - LOUD!

Josh-da-man 03-29-21 03:47 PM

The most surprising part is where King Kong plays ping-pong with his ding-dong.

OldBoy 03-29-21 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13912752)
The most surprising part is where King Kong plays ping-pong with his ding-dong.

isn't Godzilla female?

RichC2 03-29-21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13912790)
isn't Godzilla female?

Yeah, it was a whole thing where Kong tries to seduce Zilla by doing dick tricks and they thought helicoptering would be too destructive.

The Antipodean 03-29-21 09:33 PM

Well, they DO almost kiss... ;)

Chrisedge 03-30-21 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 13912915)
Well, they DO almost kiss... ;)

What do you mean, almost??

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...2fff9d4ad9.jpg

devilshalo 03-31-21 08:41 AM

Let's not explain any of that shit down in hollow earth and just have two titans beat the hell out of each other and then throw sentient mecha-godzilla in at the end. I'm good with that. :shrug:

TomOpus 03-31-21 09:01 AM

There are some shots that would look awesome in IMAX. The script is shit but gaiju fights were great. Pretty much as expected.

dex14 03-31-21 09:30 AM

I thought Wingard did a great job with this. Easily the best of the three new Godzilla movies. The Hong Kong fight scene looked awesome with all the neon.

All hail the KING!

csant 03-31-21 09:34 AM

Holy shit... I loved it. The fights were brutal and they both went in. Godzilla did beat Kong though. =)

Mecha was super cool and I liked the way he looked and fought. I'm super happy with the movie.

PS. I dont watch these type of movies for the human story. lol =)

TomOpus 03-31-21 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13913615)
I thought Wingard did a great job with this. Easily the best of the three new Godzilla movies. The Hong Kong fight scene look awesome with all the neon.

Hong Kong was a good choice, cinematically.

RichC2 03-31-21 10:01 AM

Wingard had me a little nervous after Death Note, glad to see he seems to have rebounded.

Why So Blu? 03-31-21 01:16 PM

Kong was awesome and am glad his personality was preserved over to this film. The humans are all a waste and useless. My only issue, a technical issue, is that the Atmos mix was way too fucking low. So low, there was no dynamic range in there. No, turning it up makes no difference if the levels are shit to begin with. Looks like HBO MAX pulled a Disney with their mix on this one. Oh, and no after credits scene, so i assume this franchise is over - at least on the American side. They pretty much discarded the ending scene of KOM with Ghidora's severed head. I don't know that they will continue that going forward.

Bandoman 03-31-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13912623)
^ spoiler: two big monsters fight it out in spectacular glory and cause massive destruction and one of them wins ;)

DAMMIT! No need to watch now. :mad:

TheMovieman 03-31-21 02:37 PM

Satisfying through and through. Also they seemed to learn from the past mistakes (with Godzilla and Godzilla: King of the Monsters) of doing too much with the human characters, here they are thankfully just window dressing for the battle between the two titans. ***Ύ/*****

TomOpus 03-31-21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13913765)
Oh, and no after credits scene, so i assume this franchise is over - at least on the American side.

The story I read is that one was filmed but they needed to punch up the end, so the credit scene was blended into the movie.

TomOpus 03-31-21 04:57 PM

Spoiler:
And what's the deal with sign language? Kong must have amazing vision to see her little hands