Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad Practical Effects or Bad CGI?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What you prefer?
I’ll take the real stuff even on a $5.00 budget
100.00%
Gimme cgi even if it looks like a PS1 game
0%
I don’t like special effects. Get bent!
0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I was thinking of this as I’m watching the Thing prequel, would you rather sit through really shoddy practical effects or horrible CGI?
I’ve seen this movie a bunch of times now. It’s not great, Hell its not even good, but I love the Carpenter Thing and do appreciate how the prequel leads directly into it. This time however the cgi just took me outta the movie.
Old 02-05-21, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Bad Practical Effects or Bad CGI?

I’ll take practical effects over CGI any day. Even when practical effects are bad I still appreciate them for what they’re trying to accomplish. There’s still the effort to it.

Bad CGI just feels cheap and lazy. There have been times when I see a bad CGI effect and wondered, if they can’t make it look real, why even bother with that particular shot?
Old 02-05-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Bad practical.

I'd take even average practical over great CGI in a lot of cases too.
Old 02-05-21, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Bad practical. The thing is even if practical effects are bad I can still appreciate the effort of the filmmakers attempts in most cases. CG is cool too, but is so often over-relied on. Plus when CG is bad it tends to be more noticeably bad and doesn’t have the same charm to it as a bad practical effect.
Old 02-05-21, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Bad practical effects are bad practical effects are bad practical effects.

Bad CGI is bad on day one. ​​​​​​ Bad CGI years down the road is terrible. Bad CGI a decade on his god awful.

The following users liked this post:
SeeingThings (02-06-21)
Old 02-05-21, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Practical effects all day, everyday.

All the recent blockbusters always have the “final boss fight” action scene that is a CGI mess. My favorite example to give is “Batman v Superman” final fight.

Old 02-05-21, 11:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Bad practical effects can have some charm.
Bad or poorly dated CGI is atrocious.

Corvin posted a prime example, but even a more recent one that's supposed to be subtle...
SeeingThings (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I was thinking of this as I’m watching the Thing prequel, would you rather sit through really shoddy practical effects or horrible CGI?
I’ve seen this movie a bunch of times now. It’s not great, Hell its not even good, but I love the Carpenter Thing and do appreciate how the prequel leads directly into it. This time however the cgi just took me outta the movie.
I saw The Thing from Another World the other day. I love Carpenter's The Thing. They both use practical effects but 50's movies tend to show their age.
Old 02-06-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I get more enjoyment out of man in suit Godzilla than any CG Godzilla.
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
Ash Ketchum (02-06-21), Mondo Kane (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 11:26 AM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Practical effects any day.
Old 02-06-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Even good CGI looks dated incredibly quickly. Give me the real stuff all day long.
Old 02-06-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

We watched part of a zero-budget disaster movie called The 500 MPH Storm, and the CGI effect of large objects being carried away by the wind was truly awful. I much prefer flying saucers suspended on strings. At least physical objects always look right. They might look like a $20 model, but they do have physical presence.
Old 02-06-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally I enjoy practical effects better for the simple fact that I feel that actors are actually interacting with something. There's just a different feel when actors don't see the world around them. That's not to say that cgi can't be any good, even if it's dated. A good film should be a good film regardless of the approach it takes.

I also imagine that most of us grew up on films that relied on practical effects so it could be a generational thing. Young people who grew up on cgi probably have no issue with it and probably think a guy in a rubber mask is completely stupid.
Old 02-06-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I saw The Thing from Another World the other day. I love Carpenter's The Thing. They both use practical effects but 50's movies tend to show their age.
I enjoy the original Thing From Another World a lot.
If the stupid prequel would have just dialed back the cgi, it would have been more tolerable.
Old 02-06-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Better question would be hand-drawn animation or cgi animation though I think cgi would win hands down on this forum.
Old 02-06-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Better question would be hand-drawn animation or cgi animation though I think cgi would win hands down on this forum.
Do you mean flat animation vs 3D rendering? South Park is CGI.

I have no preference between cel animation and CGI animation. Any effect that was achieved with hand-painted cels can be matched by CGI artists with about 95% less labor. I love Akira and Yellow Submarine, but instead of needing whole buildings full of animators, one person made Sita Sings the Blues on her home computer. It looks great.
John Pannozzi (02-08-21)
Old 02-06-21, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
one person made Sita Sings the Blues on her home computer. It looks great.
You got me curious to check it out, thanks to JustWatch, I found it on Hoopla.
Old 02-06-21, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
We watched part of a zero-budget disaster movie called The 500 MPH Storm, and the CGI effect of large objects being carried away by the wind was truly awful. I much prefer flying saucers suspended on strings. At least physical objects always look right. They might look like a $20 model, but they do have physical presence.
Yeah, there is, to me, another uncanny valley with CGI.

A lot of CGI just doesn't seem to take up any physical space. I think it comes down to the quality the CGI itself, and also the way it has to be filmed. Look at Jar-Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace (and the Star Wars prequels in general) and, to a lesser extent, Gollum in Lord of the Rings. They frequently come off like cartoon characters, which, I suppose they ultimately are. And no matter how hard they try, they just can't get them to consistently move or behave like actual physical entities.

Going back to Star Wars, you could always tell that Chewbacca was an actual physical being that moved and interacted like he was actually there on the set with the actors. Because he was a guy in a suit. Jar Jar and Gollum just don't have that same quality; they feel rubbery, and, even though they were played by actors on the set, they just don't have the same kind of physical presence.

Old 02-06-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

'nuff said.

Old 02-06-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Bad practical effects can have some charm.
Bad or poorly dated CGI is atrocious.

Corvin posted a prime example, but even a more recent one that's supposed to be subtle...
But on topic with the thread, would an upper lip prosthetic to hide the moustache have been much better?

A shitty effect is a shitty effect. I agree with the consensus that a bad practical effect has more charm, though off the top of my head, The Room’s shitty green screen work adds a layer to its unintentional appeal.

If we were looking at good cgi vs good practical effects, I think it gets a bit trickier. So many movies and shows use cgi to portray locations that would otherwise be impractical or impossible to show and most of us never notice.
Old 02-06-21, 07:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
But on topic with the thread, would an upper lip prosthetic to hide the moustache have been much better?
yeah, good point. In this case, I think shaving for the Superman role then a practical faux-stache for the Mission Impossible role would have made the most sense, but I realize studio politics and contracts is what made that situation what it was.

A shitty effect is a shitty effect. I agree with the consensus that a bad practical effect has more charm, though off the top of my head, The Room’s shitty green screen work adds a layer to its unintentional appeal.
Interesting. I also think a movie like Manborg (which combines a ton of micro budget green screen with its practicals) also kind of fits what you're saying.

If we were looking at good cgi vs good practical effects, I think it gets a bit trickier. So many movies and shows use cgi to portray locations that would otherwise be impractical or impossible to show and most of us never notice.
True. It's fair to draw a distinction between locations/atmosphere and effects like gore or things that need more... weight... to them.
Old 02-06-21, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I enjoy the original Thing From Another World a lot.
If the stupid prequel would have just dialed back the cgi, it would have been more tolerable.
https://screenrant.com/thing-movie-p...i-replacement/
https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...ed-thing-2011/
Old 02-06-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Bad Practical Effects.

It always boggles my mind how films with large budgets have Bad CGI.

It's as if basic Cinematography & Light Study went out the window completely.
Old 02-07-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher

Good CGI is good. In he director's commentary on The Social Network, Fincher talks about just how much CGI went into that movie. It's in almost every scene. I don't see it, and that's what he wanted.
Old 02-07-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It's as if basic Cinematography & Light Study went out the window completely.
This this this. I loathe CGI, but even more I hate it's stupid cousin digital color grading. Movies just aren't lit correctly anymore. Horror movies must be so washed out they may as well be in black & white. Superhero movies must use that pukey teal & orange & have grays instead of blacks. Any scene at the beach must use a yellow grading that looks like a happy face took a piss. Romantic comedies, those can use natural colors & lighting for some reason. I watched Apocalypse Now in 4K recently & thought man, I wish movies still looked like THIS.

John Pannozzi (02-08-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.