Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dracula (D: Chloe Zhao)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Director Chloe Zhao Sinks Teeth Into Sci-Fi Western ‘Dracula’ for Universal
By Adam B. Vary

“Nomadland” director Chloé Zhao is tackling the classic Universal monster Dracula, as the writer, producer and director of a new take on the character in the vein of a futuristic sci-fi western.

“I’ve always been fascinated by vampires and the concept of the Other they embody,” Zhao said in a release. “I’m very excited to work with Donna [Langley], Peter [Cramer] and the team at Universal to reimagine such a beloved character.”

“Chloé’s singular lens shines a light on stories of the overlooked and misunderstood,” said Peter Cramer, Universal Pictures president. “We are thrilled to be working with her as she reimagines one of the most iconic outsider characters ever created.”

First created by Bram Stoker in his 1897 gothic horror novel, Dracula — a count who lives in the Carpathian Mountains in Transylvania — has tantalized readers and audiences for over a century. The vampire was famously played by Bela Lugosi in the 1930s, Christopher Lee and Frank Langella in the 1960s and 1970s, and Gary Oldman in the 1990s. Universal’s most recent attempt to reboot the character, “Dracula Untold,” starred Luke Evans in 2014 and earned a tepid $217 million worldwide.

Separately, Blumhouse Productions is also developing a new version of Dracula, with director Karyn Kusama (“Destroyer”) and writers Matt Manfredi and Phil Hay. A representative for Universal says Zhao’s new take on Dracula does not affect the Kusama project, which remains in development.

The announcement of Zhao’s project does further Universal’s new strategy to re-imagine its canon of monster movie characters through the lens of top tier filmmakers, characterized by Leigh Whannell’s acclaimed update of “The Invisible Man” in 2020 with Elisabeth Moss. Other approaches include Dexter Fletcher (“Rocketman”) developing his own take on the Dracula legend with a movie about his henchman, Renfield; Elizabeth Banks directing and starring in “The Invisible Woman;” and Paul Feig writing, producing and directing the monster movie “Dark Army.”

On Wednesday, Zhao became the first Asian woman nominated for a Golden Globe for best director for “Nomadland,” which chronicles the life of an itinerant worker, played by Frances McDormand, traveling across the American West. The film also earned Globe nominations for Zhao’s screenplay, best actress for McDormand, and best picture (drama). “Nomadland” has indeed emerged as a leading awards contender this season, earning the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival and the audience award at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Her next film, Marvel Studio’s “Eternals” with Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani and Salma Hayek, is scheduled to open in November.
Old 02-05-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts
Re: Dracula (D: Chloe Zhao)

Talk about a pivot.
Old 02-05-21, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Old dudes in the Universal Monsters group I'm in are losing their shit over this.
Old 02-05-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Old dudes in the Universal Monsters group I'm in are losing their shit over this.
If only there were another filmed version of Dracula they could watch instead.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (02-05-21)
Old 02-05-21, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Did they bitch about this version of The Invisible Man?
Giantrobo (02-05-21)
Old 02-05-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If only there were another filmed version of Dracula they could watch instead.

Yep. And they keep bringing up "Dracula vs Billy the Kid already happened" as one of the many reasons why we don't need this one.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-08-21 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Did they bitch about this version of The Invisible Man?

Yep. All saying the remake was nothing more than "Woke trash" or a "Lifetime Movie" since it dealt with an abusive man stalking a woman. Never mind that "crazy man stalking, abusing, or even murdering a woman" is a long time trope of Horror films and Thrillers.
devilshalo (02-05-21)
Old 02-06-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

So like that godwful Priest movie with Paul Bettany?
Old 02-06-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Talk about a pivot.
Sorta. She just directed Eternals (MCU movie). I didn't know this till I checked Wikipedia. Cool that she made such a big leap from no-budget dramas to big-budget genre movies. But that's been the way it is for awhile (Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan).
Old 02-06-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Sorta. She just directed Eternals (MCU movie). I didn't know this till I checked Wikipedia. Cool that she made such a big leap from no-budget dramas to big-budget genre movies. But that's been the way it is for awhile (Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan).
You are glossing over the fact that she's as close to an Oscar lock for directing Nomadland as anyone is in any category this year. She's won like almost every critic group's award so far.