Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Cloverfield film (D: Anvari)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 04:06 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Cloverfield, the J. J. Abrams-produced horror hit released in 2008 that launched filmmaker Matt Reeves on the path of genre auteur, is getting a sequel.

Abrams’ Bad Robot banner and Paramount Pictures have tapped rising British scribe Joe Barton to pen the script for the project, which, unlike its predecessor, will not be in the found footage format, according to sources.

Abrams will produce. Reeves is not involved in the project.

Cloverfield was a monster movie, shot in the then-popular found footage style to reflect the growing ubiquity of video cameras. It followed a group of 20-something New Yorkers as they try to navigate the city during an attack by a giant monster. The movie was made under-the-radar and used a viral marketing campaign to tease out interest. The tactic worked: The movie, made for $25 million, had a massive opening weekend of $40 million and went on to gross $172 million worldwide.

It begat a "Cloverfield universe" which saw two more modestly-budgeted movies, 10 Cloverfield Land and The Cloverfield Paradox, released in 2016 and 2018, respectively. Those movies were originally developed as separate movies but were folded under a Cloverfield banner tying them to a linked story with science fiction and monster themes. When Paradox disappointed at the box office and Abrams’ attention seemingly focused on his deal with WarnerMedia, it was presumed that the Cloverfield franchise was laid to rest. (But no brand in Hollywood ever truly dies, right?)

Details of the take are being kept hidden under Central Park.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...nner-exclusive
Old 01-29-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
re: Untitled Cloverfield film (D: Anvari)

"Disappointed at the box office"? ...Paradox didn't go to theaters, it went to Netflix.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-23-22)
Old 01-29-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I guessed thought that new plane-at-sea movie was going to turn out to be a secret Cloverfield movie.
Old 01-29-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Are the three movies even related, other than the titles? It doesn't seem like any kind of shared universe. (Full disclosure, I couldn't finish Cloverfield Paradox; it was awful and boring.)
Old 01-29-21, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yes. Cloverfield was the real monster(s) and carnage. 10 Cloverfield Lane had a good 20 minutes of the same monsters at the end. Basically the invasion happening in Ohio country. Cloverfield Paradox ends with the giant monster as they return to Earth, but I honestly forget what happens during the whole thing.
Old 01-29-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I just rewatched the first one the other day and still enjoyed it a lot. I've never gotten around to the others but I'd love another one like the first.
Old 09-23-22, 10:46 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Another chapter in the “Cloverfield” universe is coming.

“Wounds” director Babak Anvari has been tapped to helm the newest installment of the hit horror series. J.J. Abrams is producing from Bad Robot, along with Hannah Minghella and Jon Cohen. Bryan Burk, Matt Reeves, and Drew Goddard will executive produce. Joe Barton, who penned the 2017 cult horror hit “The Ritual,” is set to write the script.

This next installment is currently in development at Paramount Pictures, and will be the fourth chapter in the experimental sci-fi series. The first film, 2008’s “Cloverfield,” was a found footage alien invasion movie which became a sleeper hit. The second chapter, 2016’s “10 Cloverfield Lane,” modified an existing script to fit within the “Cloverfield” universe and became a commercial and critical hit, anchored by strong performances from Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman. The third installment, 2018’s space thriller “The Cloverfield Paradox,” was widely panned but gained notoriety as Netflix announced the project during the Super Bowl, confirming that fans would be able to watch it immediately after the game.

Abrams, who has produced all of the films in the series, spoke to Time when the first installment came out in 2008 about why he thought found footage was the proper medium for this creature feature.

“The movie is meant to be entertainment, to give people the sort of thrill I had as a kid watching monster movies,” he said. “I hadn’t seen anything that felt that way for many years. I felt like there has to be a way to do a monster movie that’s updated and fresh. So we came up with the Youtubification of things, the ubiquity of video cameras, cell phones with cameras. The age of self-documentation felt like a wonderful prism through which to look at the monster movie. Our take is what if the absolutely preposterous would happen? How terrifying would that be? The video camera, we all have access to. There’s a certain odd and eerie intimacy that goes along with those videos. Our take is a classic B monster movie done in a way that makes it feel very real and relevant, allowing it to be simultaneously spectacular and incredibly intimate.”
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/c...ms-1235381693/
Old 09-23-22, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Untitled Cloverfield film (D: Anvari)

Isn't Cloverfield just the prequel to Pacific Rim?
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-23-22)
Old 09-24-22, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Untitled Cloverfield film (D: Anvari)

Keep hoping for a sequel to 10 Cloverfield Lane but it'll probably something with "Cloverfield" in the title. Meet the Cloverfields.