Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Missing (Searching 2) (2023, D: Merrick/Johnson)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-13-21, 03:05 PM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Sony’s Stage 6 Films has closed a deal for Will Merrick & Nick Johnson to make their directing debut on the sequel to the Screenlife hit film Searching, a sequel that will tell a different story from the original that starred John Cho and Debra Messing. The filmmakers served as the editorial team on Aneesh Chaganty-directed Hulu thriller Run, as well as the original 2018 Searching, which Chaganty directed.

The hiring keeps the creative team intact, albeit in new capacities. The film is being produced by Natalie Qasabian, Chaganty, Sev Ohanian of Search Party, Adam Sidman and digital filmmaking guru Timur Bekmambetov, who also produced the first movie. Jo Henriquez is executive producing and Congyu E is co-producing. Merrick and Johnson are writing the screenplay, based on a story by Sev Ohanian and Chaganty. The goal is to start production in the spring.

Searching 2‘s plot is still under wraps, but it will feature a new set of characters and an evolved Screenlife thriller format where the story plays out on the screens of the characters’ devices. The original starred Cho as a dad who breaks into his daughter’s computer when she goes missing, in a desperate attempt to track her down.

“With such restrictive visual parameters, a movie like Searching 2 requires a fresh visual style to separate it from the original,” Chaganty said. “I’ve contributed what I can to this growing sub-genre. But if there’s anyone on the planet with the potential to take it even further, it’s Nick and Will, who were there from the beginning.”

Said Bekmambetov, who has pioneered the Screenlife movement that makes small budget films that replicate the way people see the world through their electronic devices: “Searching is so far the most successful movie shot in the Screenlife format and the sequel is set to become a new milestone. What seemed like an experimental technique a few years ago has been given a momentum now with more and more industry professionals turning to this digital filmmaking technique.”

Said Qasabian: “On Searching, Will and Nick pioneered a new visual language and pushed the boundaries of what editors could contribute to a film. We are lucky and beyond excited to be working with them in their new roles as writers and directors on the sequel.”

Johnson & Merrick are USC grads who got their break as the editors and “directors of virtual photography” on Searching. That film was acquired by Sony at Sundance and released internationally. Critics loved the editing and visual style and the film grossed $75 million worldwide on a budget less than $1 million.

Merrick & Johnson are repped by Peter Sample at Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/searchi...fe-1234672890/
Old 01-13-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts
re: Missing (Searching 2) (2023, D: Merrick/Johnson)

Personally, I didn't think it was the gimmick that made Searching a good movie. The gimmick was kind of annoying, and it was surprising that the movie was good.
Old 01-13-21, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Sigh, another movie that doesn't demand or leave one desirous for a sequel.
Old 01-13-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,295 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Personally, I didn't think it was the gimmick that made Searching a good movie. The gimmick was kind of annoying, and it was surprising that the movie was good.
Agreed. Searching worked despite the gimmick. Honestly, it took me A LOT longer to finally watch Searching because I didn’t care for the gimmick. It turned out alright but I’m not exactly champing at the bit for another one...

...especially these days where I’ve just spent the last year living socially and professionally through a computer. I don’t necessarily feel the need to sit through a movie on the same format.
Old 01-13-21, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

I can see if this is COVID related where maybe we witness something and there are more people involved to solve something... but I don't think it deserves a theatrical release.
Old 01-13-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Agreed. Searching worked despite the gimmick. Honestly, it took me A LOT longer to finally watch Searching because I didn’t care for the gimmick. It turned out alright but I’m not exactly champing at the bit for another one...
When you guys speak of the gimmick, are you referring to the "killer reveal"? I agree that that was the least believable facet of an otherwise excellent suspense-thriller.
Old 01-13-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,295 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
When you guys speak of the gimmick, are you referring to the "killer reveal"? I agree that that was the least believable facet of an otherwise excellent suspense-thriller.
“Gimmick” probably isn’t the right word for it since it’s literally the entire movie but I’m referring to the whole movie taking place on computer screens.

It worked surprisingly well for this movie but it is something that is rarely pulled off well in movies. I seem to recall a couple horror movies with the same idea that I don’t remember the titles of. It was not pulled off well in those movies.

I only vaguely remember the twist with Debra Messing and I agree it was the least believable part in he film.
Old 01-14-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
“Gimmick” probably isn’t the right word for it since it’s literally the entire movie but I’m referring to the whole movie taking place on computer screens.

It worked surprisingly well for this movie but it is something that is rarely pulled off well in movies. I seem to recall a couple horror movies with the same idea that I don’t remember the titles of. It was not pulled off well in those movies.

I only vaguely remember the twist with Debra Messing and I agree it was the least believable part in he film.
Ah, I see. Yes, it usually doesn't work well, but another movie that I thought used the conceit exceptionally well - with a couple of reservations - was The Den (2012). Last year's Host I didn't find scary or engrossing, but critics loved it.
Old 03-04-21, 01:17 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Euphoria star Storm Reid is in negotiations to star in the sequel to the Sony Pictures’ Stage 6 Film box-office hit Searching. Will Merrick and Nick Johnson will direct the sequel, which will have a similar theme to the original that starred John Cho, but tell a different story.

Sony had no comment on Reid’s involvement.

Searching 2‘s plot is still under wraps, but it will feature a new set of characters and an evolved Screenlife thriller format where the story plays out on the screens of the characters’ devices. The original starred Cho as a dad who breaks into his daughter’s computer when she goes missing, in a desperate attempt to track her down.

The film is being produced by Natalie Qasabian, Aneesh Chaganty, Sev Ohanian of Search Party, Adam Sidman, and digital filmmaking guru Timur Bekmambetov who also produced the first movie. Jo Henriquez is executive producing and Congyu E is co-producing. Merrick and Johnson wrote the screenplay, based on a story by Sev Ohanian and Chaganty. The studio is aiming for a spring production start.
Old 11-16-22, 01:22 PM

Re: Missing (Searching 2) (2023, D: Merrick/Johnson)

They're basically turning this into an anthology of films now.

This is from the people who work on Run as well. Apparently, there will be some easter eggs in the movie that will check in with those characters.

From the minds behind Searching comes Missing, a thrilling roller-coaster mystery that makes you wonder how well you know those closest to you. When her mother (Nia Long) disappears while on vacation in Colombia with her new boyfriend, June’s (Storm Reid) search for answers is hindered by international red tape. Stuck thousands of miles away in Los Angeles, June creatively uses all the latest technology at her fingertips to try and find her before it’s too late. But as she digs deeper, her digital sleuthing raises more questions than answers...and when June unravels secrets about her mom, she discovers that she never really knew her at all.

Directed by: Will Merrick and Nick Johnson

Screenplay by: Will Merrick & Nick Johnson

Story by: Sev Ohanian & Aneesh Chaganty

Produced by:
Natalie Qasabian
Sev Ohanian
Aneesh Chaganty

Executive Producers:
Timur Bekmambetov
Adam Sidman
Jo Henriquez

Cast:
Storm Reid
Joaquim de Almeida
Ken Leung
Amy Landecker
with Daniel Henney
and Nia Long

Last edited by dex14; 11-16-22 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 212 Posts

Sev Ohanian was posting on Reddit the other day answering questions about the movie. This unrelated bit stood out as an interesting idea:

I actually joke-pitched to Matt Reeves' producing partners (we are making a TV show with them) that I would love to do a short film that takes place entirely on the Bat Computer.

Like imagine your POV is Batman's as he navigates his computer to solve some kind of mystery. But then mid-way the Riddler starts a remote hack, and Batman has to do everything possible to combat that virus, etc. etc.

Thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...d_missing_now/
Old 11-20-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

I appreciated bits of Searching (2018) during its theatrical release but haven't revisited it since.

The trailer for this new film seems to give too much away, though surprises could still be packed in
Old 01-10-23, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 1,086 Likes on 632 Posts

I blind-saw this last night as part of an advanced "Mystery Movie Monday" the Regal near us is doing from now until March. It was totally fine. A bit of a slow start, but then there's like 5 twists in a 20-30min span, so has a little pacing issue. I didn't see Searching, so I can't compare. I think this will do well for lovers of true crime stuff. My fiancee actually pointed out that this would be better viewed on your laptop, since it's stylized as being completely presented that way.
Old 01-10-23, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,732 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I blind-saw this last night as part of an advanced "Mystery Movie Monday" the Regal near us is doing from now until March. It was totally fine. A bit of a slow start, but then there's like 5 twists in a 20-30min span, so has a little pacing issue. I didn't see Searching, so I can't compare. I think this will do well for lovers of true crime stuff. My fiancee actually pointed out that this would be better viewed on your laptop, since it's stylized as being completely presented that way.
I was curious what the $5 mystery movie was and they did say it was from a major studio. I couldn't go last night anyway because of the cold and rain. I do have a ticket reserved for this when it opens.
Old 01-10-23, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1,086 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I was curious what the $5 mystery movie was and they did say it was from a major studio. I couldn't go last night anyway because of the cold and rain. I do have a ticket reserved for this when it opens.
Is it all Regals? Just ones in OC? Or in the Southland in general? Or do we go to the same theater
Old 01-10-23, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Is it all Regals? Just ones in OC? Or in the Southland in general? Or do we go to the same theater
All Regals.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-10-23)
Old 01-16-23, 10:16 AM

Out this week. Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/missing_2023
Old 01-16-23, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

I didn't know this was a "sequel." I think Searching was awesome.
Old 01-16-23, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I didn't know this was a "sequel." I think Searching was awesome.
It's an anthology or standalone sequel. It does not "follow the same characters or plot line as the original".
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBang:
IBJoel (01-20-23), Why So Blu? (01-16-23)
Old 01-20-23, 05:04 PM

I enjoyed this a lot. If you liked Searching, you should definitely like this.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing this tonight. Very entertaining and quite tense. I think it's just as good as Searching. They did a great job incorporating all that tech into the movie. Storm Reid was really solid as the lead. I remember her from the 2019 thriller Don't Let Go.

There's a lot of twists and turns in this movie. I can't go into specific plot details because it would spoil things and this is not a spoiler thread. I second dex, if you enjoyed Searching, you should check this out.
Old 05-20-23, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

This is now on Netflix for those who missed it back at the beginning of the year. I enjoyed it as I said above.
Old 07-09-23, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,052 Likes on 866 Posts

I never saw Searching, but I thought this was a good, twisty thriller. Ran across it on Netflix and knew it had gotten some theatrical play, so I figured what the heck.
Old 07-09-23, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Can't believe I didn't respond to this thread yet. I saw it a few months back. Terrific thriller. And I loved "Searching" too.