Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prey (2022, D: Trachtenberg) -- Predator prequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prey (2022, D: Trachtenberg) -- Predator prequel

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Prey (2022, D: Trachtenberg) -- Predator prequel

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No, I was correct the first time in what it is. Even media sites out there are also confirming it.
I had stated I could be wrong. I was giving how I took it.
Old 08-06-22, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Oh yeah, this was pretty fun. Only complaint is the mid-credits scene, which I'm hoping is a more figurative expression of what comes next.
​​​​​​I'd love to see more time periods and civilizations explored. Feudal Japan, Ancient Rome or Greece, Zulu or Ashanti... All that would be awesome.
Old 08-06-22, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Andolini's gun makes it all the way to Predator 2 somehow, so it would make sense that they'll be back for it and for further adventures.
Old 08-06-22, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Andolini's gun makes it all the way to Predator 2 somehow, so it would make sense that they'll be back for it and for further adventures.
I wondered if that was the same gun! Hadn't had a chance to check yet, but yeah that's what I guessed. I enjoyed this, just a handful of minor issues but it was very enjoyable.(probably comes in 3rd just behind Predators for me) I wouldn't mind seeing a direct sequel to this or of course other time periods - one of these every few yrs sounds good to me!
Old 08-06-22, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I fully realize the majority of people wouldn’t want a Predator movie with subtitles, but I really wish this would have not been in spoken English. An Apacolypto style Predator movie would have ruled.
I get it, also feel the same - but, this film did had minimal dialogue with some other languages as well, so I think it struck the best balance it could have.
The following users liked this post:
csant (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Really enjoyed this one. The original has the unknown going for it along with the ridiculousness of the soldiers to make it fun. This was EASILY the best sequel. Such a great idea and they really ran with it. I liked how they made it clear that Naru has serious skills from the beginning.

Also I loved that I got to watch this at home on my big screen TV with a couple of snack breaks and no annoying members of the public looking at their phones and bringing babies to rated R movies.
milo bloom (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
The last two Predator films I watched were Predators and Predator 2. Prey was better than Predators, but I prefer the characters (even though they weren't terribly deep) in the 1990 film.

Some of the photography in this new movie definitely warrants the big screen treatment, like the tracking shot near the beginning and a few of the wide shots when the gorgeous backdrop is in full view.

In the minus column, some of the CGI is a bit dodgy, and the parts shot on a sound stage are really apparent. What was it with the modern dialogue? Was it deliberately anachronistic? Some of it sounded like it was written for a B-movie.
Spoiler:
'Who invited you?'
'I've got this.'
'Bring it home.'

This sure ain't Dances With Wolves.

There's also crazy shifts in weather and sudden appearance of daylight in this movie.
Spoiler:
Wasn't it a clear night when the French trappers tied Taabe and Naru to the tree? The next thing I know fog has rolled in which is obviously lit by sunlight when the Predator jumps from tree to tree. Then there's a light snowfall near the end which must have been a freak storm because the leaves on the trees hadn't given any indication that it was late in the fall.

The re-design of the Predator gives it a fresh look. Also appreciated that its weapons are retro.

The fights aren't bad, but I couldn't make out what happened in at least one part.
Spoiler:
When the Predator is trying to behead Naru with its shield, what did she do to distract it? I re-watched that part three times, and I couldn't really tell what she did. The closest I could figure it was that she tears off one of its tusks and jams it in its face.

I was going to ask if anyone was able to turn it on. I went through the audio options and it wasn't listed.

As of right now, my ranking for the series would be

Predator
Predator 2
Prey
The Predator
Predators
Re: the weather patterns ... the cause of all of that wasn't shown (deleted scene?). There was no fog or snow. Either the French had burned the woods or it possibly was from the Predator being dropped off by its ship (didn't we see this in Predators, also?). It was smoke and ash.

Re: modern language ... I know this wasn't translated, but when translating from one language to another, translators have to account for vernacular or slang. They don't necessarily translate word = word, they translate to communicate. Maybe I have this in mind because I just listened to the HBO podcast for Chernobyl and they were talking about raspberries. These are things that Russians see in movies that are essentially stereotypes about Russia (like the furry hats), but the word they use for this translates to English as raspberries. I view anachronistic language the same way -- it isn't a word for word equivalent, but it better conveys the sentiment.

I'll admit I was rather confused by the retro weapons. At first I thought "Oh, no tech?" I like that some of it was stepped back tech, but some of it (the bone mask) didn't make sense at first. Then I figured it had used the skull of a previous kill to design it's "armor."

I think the only thing that really bothered me was the Predator's behavior. During the Battle Royale with the French, it acted more like a gleeful monster/serial killer than the honorable hunter it is supposed to be.

I'm watching the Commanche dub now ... Maybe my view is skewed since I just watched the movie, but I would say you could watch the dub with no subtitles and pretty much still follow the movie. Like Mad Max: Fury Road with no dialogue track, the visuals and acting tell the story without knowing what s being said.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-07-22 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
this was not bad. not bad at all. i loved the one on one fighting with the Predator. that's something we didn't see in the original which this hearkens back too. my only gripe is how Native Americans could speak fluid English in 1719. would have liked a native tongue and subtitles, but only minor nitpick. this was just a sequel done right.
Ummm ... they didn't. It's just so you can understand the movie. Even the French translator says he is speaking Commanche.
Old 08-07-22, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
This whole "should be in the theaters" thing is getting tiresome to hear, same with the Batgirl fiasco.

Streaming is the new way. Think of how many films became big only after releasing on VHS and later DVD.

I've only been going to the theater in recent years for new Star Wars movies, but now the good stuff is on DIsney+ and I'm quite okay with that.
Somebody hasn't been listening to the earnings calls ... sounds like that bubble is about to finally burst.
Old 08-07-22, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Adolini's gun had a whole different path to the Predator in Predator 2 that PREY may have retconned.

the story was told in the comics so not sure if it is canon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
csant (08-07-22), Why So Blu? (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely has a vibe that is more similar to the original movie than any of the prequels.
IBJoel (08-08-22)
Old 08-07-22, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I think the only thing that really bothered me was the Predator's behavior. During the Battle Royale with the French, it acted more like a gleeful monster/serial killer than the honorable hunter it is supposed to be.
This scene stood out to me as well. It's clearly supposed to be "cool" and we're not supposed to think about it beyond that. That said, I'm not sure honorable hunter is always an apt description for the predators. There is usually a level of arrogance and machismo to their behavior that I don't think precludes showing off a little.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Abob Teff (08-07-22), Giantrobo (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I took as;
Spoiler:
Since the French used Naru and her brother as bait and mistreated them. There would be no holding back on the predator's park.

I loved how Naru notice that after eating that plant that brought down ur body temperature. The predator couldn't see her. She was so badass.
Abob Teff (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that is my self-justification, Rocket. Since other movies have shown us there are various factions of Predators (Yautja), not all of them will hold the same values. For example, it seems this Predator was loaded up with tons of the weapons we have seen, while it feels like Predators past picked a few weapons.

So with that in mind, do you think the "end we didn't see" was the war Naru predicted, or do you think she was "honored" the way Carrigan was? I'm thinking the ship came back and the "council" confronted Naru and her tribe like the did in Predator 2. I think they gave her something and she gave the Predators the pistol (still fits within the comic book story posted above).

Csant, I thought that the plant was a great setup. I suspected it when she gave it to the first wounded warrior and he said "I'm cold." I think Trachtenberg did a good job setting up pieces without beating us over the head (the flowers, the mud, and the guided darts).

I guess I still don't understand how the darts worked out though. I'm willing to assume the darts just go straight without the tracking system, but then how did she activate the tracking system?
majorjoe23 (08-08-22)
Old 08-07-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I thought this movie was horribly overrated. Not tense. Not fun. Just bland and boring. And I disliked the main character.
Spoiler:
I was hoping the Predator would off her in the end, despite her persistent plot armor.
Old 08-07-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

RocShemp?!

The following 3 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Cellar Door (08-07-22), IBJoel (08-08-22), Why So Blu? (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I thought this movie was horribly overrated. Not tense. Not fun. Just bland and boring. And I disliked the main character.
Spoiler:
I was hoping the Predator would off her in the end, despite her persistent plot armor.
What has been a "good" movie for you that you have seen recently? Im just curious, because I 100% disagree with you. =)
Old 08-07-22, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by csant
What has been a "good" movie for you that you have seen recently? Im just curious, because I 100% disagree with you. =)
Top Gun: Maverick. Although I'd categorize that as great.
Old 08-07-22, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait … you are serious? You’re going to complain about plot armor and then say you think a Tom Cruise movie is great?!

OK, OK, hang on ….

No, no …

I think I just peed myself.
IBJoel (08-08-22)
Old 08-07-22, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Wait … you are serious? You’re going to complain about plot armor and then say you think a Tom Cruise movie is great?!

OK, OK, hang on ….

No, no …

I think I just peed myself.
My comment about her plot armor was in regards to the futility in my hoping that she'd die in the end. Then again, the yautja never win in any of these movies. I'd I've let it slide if I were enjoying myself, but I hated the movie.

Oh and this is really just a nitpick but... What is up with the redesign of the Predator? It looked like its face was a crab that got stuck in a giant wad of chewed up bubblegum (not that any previous one would win any beauty contests).
Old 08-07-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

RocShemp i also commented on the face design as it looks a lot like the Super Predator from PREDATORS and im not a huge fan of that variation on the Yautja face design.

However, i am reminded watching various videos on youtube, both fan theory and lore based on novels, comics, films, etc that say that there are Yautja from different tribes that may vary in appereance. In fact, i have seen people say the Yautja in PREY may be from a different region of the Predator planet called Yautja Prime.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-07-22 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Started off a little slow, but finished strong. Enjoyed it. Probably B+ grade.

Best things about this movie was the location and Predator weapon technology. Very cool new weapons. Cool fight sequences that didn't really involve advanced guns.

I'm down for a sequel, if the credits hinted at it.

and I didn't watch any trailers, so I went in fresh. Didn't overhype myself.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 08-09-22 at 10:04 AM.
candyrocket786 (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
RocShemp i also commented on the face design as it looks a lot like the Super Predator from PREDATORS and im not a huge fan of that variation on the Yautja face design.

However, i am reminded watching various videos on youtube, both fan theory and lore based on novels, comics, films, etc that say that there are Yautja from different tribes that may vary in appereance. In fact, i have seen people say the Yautja in PREY may be from a different region of the Predator planet called Yautja Prime.
This new one is being classified as a " Feral Predator "

Works for me.

I just want a prequel with " The Wolf".
Old 08-07-22, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this over on YautjaDVDChat on the Intergalactic Wide Web …

Over here! Can’t stand these movies! Why do they always make the prey look so different! *click*click*click*click*click*

]

The following 2 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
JeremyM (08-09-22), milo bloom (08-09-22)
Old 08-07-22, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
This new one is being classified as a " Feral Predator "

Works for me.

I just want a prequel with " The Wolf".
Yes, ive seen that name used for this one.

As usual when a New Predator film shows up...Im still shaking my head that we still haven't seen a Female Yautja on screen. We have them in the novels, comics, games....but not films.

I mean shit..PREY woulda a been a perfect film for a Female Yautja since our human hero is a woman...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.