Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (2020, D: Frank Marshall) -- HBO Documentary film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (2020, D: Frank Marshall) -- HBO Documentary film

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart chronicles the rise of the legendary band and the evolution of their music over the years. Made up of brothers Barry, Maurice, and Robin Gibb, The Bee Gees wrote more than 1,000 songs and had 20 No. 1 hits throughout their career.

From award-winning producers Nigel Sinclair and Jeanne Elfant Festa (HBO’s The Apollo and HBO’s George Harrison: Living in the Material World) and directed by Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Frank Marshall (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Seabiscuit) the film tells the story of how three brothers created music that touched the collective unconscious across five continents for five decades straight.

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart is directed by Frank Marshall; produced by Nigel Sinclair, Jeanne Elfant Festa, Mark Monroe, Frank Marshall; executive produced by David Blackman, Jody Gerson, Steve Barnett, Nicholas Ferrall, Cassidy Hartmann, Ryan Suffern; written by Mark Monroe with story consultant, Cassidy Hartmann.

This film is 111 minutes according to HBO's website.

This looks awesome. Can't wait to see it. I loved the Bee Gees growing up. Still sad thinking that Barry is the last surviving brother.

Old 10-31-20, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (2020, D: Frank Marshall) -- HBO Documentary film

Al Green's version is better.
Old 11-01-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (2020, D: Frank Marshall) -- HBO Documentary film

For those that don't watch the trailer all the way to the end: December 12th
Old 12-13-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

This premiered last night on HBO and HBO Max for those who missed it.
Old 12-13-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Was disappointed that they left out the Sgt. Pepper movie and their comeback albums post-1989 which were pretty good. The disco backlash thing made me laugh, too bad they couldn’t have gone back to what they were doing in the 60s. Seems like they just ran out of material there and “going disco” was what they knew how to do. In an alternate reality I’m wondering what would’ve happened if they’d gone punk instead.
Old 12-13-20, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

^Even Vh1 covered Sgt. Pepper on their "Behind The Music" episode. I think Maurice gave brief comments about it.
Old 12-13-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I couldn't sleep last Friday night so I listened to Coast to Coast AM and heard Ian Punnett talk about the BeeGees with a couple of music writers and various callers for four hours. The documentary spurred the conversation although none of the guests had anything to do with it.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2020-12-11-show/
Old 12-13-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

I DVRd it last night and watched it today. It was a really good film overall. They did a good job telling 50 years of their story in under 2 hours. Lots of great songs and memories. If you told every aspect of their story including their comeback in the late 80s, 90s and eventually the passing of Maurice and Robin, this movie would have been 4 hours long. So I appreciated that they made it concise and tightly edited and covered the important stuff.

It was a good mix of current interviews and archived ones of Robin and Maurice.

I'm also glad that they covered the Disco sucks rebellion and also when the brothers segued to being songwriters and producers for other artists.

They briefly showed some footage of it, but the 1997 Vegas concert, which I have on DVD, was an amazing concert special.
Old 12-14-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The amount of archival footage they had was staggering. I really wish though they delved a little deeper into the "fall from grace" era. How Barry continued as a songwriter/producer in the midst of an 80s period that wanted little or nothing to do with the Bee Gees. It wasn't "Go-Go's documentary bad" in terms of "glossing over", but I wanted more.

Still though, I enjoyed it. You can't overstate how massive these guys were.
Old 12-15-20, 09:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Never got into the Bee Gees, although I will say their music had a pretty big impact. Doc was okay, I didn't get much out of it. I like hearing from the producers though. Interesting stories.
Old 12-16-20, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I thought this was a great documentary. I've heard most of their music over the years (terrestrial and then satellite radio) but didn't realize just how big and talented they were. Specifically their music from the 60's and early 70's stuff. Didn't care much for the "Saturday Night Fever" era though. I didn't realize they had famous fans like Noel Gallagher. Who I love, but can be quite the c*nt. So it was a pleasure seeing him saying some pretty great things about them. I agree with Alan Smithee that the absence of the "Sgt. Pepper" era was a huge omission. That was also a dismal strike during their career that they overcame. I also agree that the documentary abruptly cut their story short. "E.S.P" (with the smash "You Win Again") and "One" in 1989 were their last comeback albums.

I worked in a record store when Barbara Streisand's "Guilty" came out. And it was huge. Massive. We could not keep it stocked. And I believe the brothers Gibb had everything to do with it's success. While I was into new wave only at the time (The Pretenders, Blondie, The B-52's, Talking Heads, etc), it really is a beautiful album and collaboration.
Old 12-24-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Liked this more than I expected. Big fan of their older stuff. I guess I'm in the minority about the thankful omission of the dogshit that was that Sgt Pepper movie. As much as I hated disco, some of it wasn't so bad. Sad that only one Gibb is left.
Old 12-25-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Liked this more than I expected. Big fan of their older stuff. I guess I'm in the minority about the thankful omission of the dogshit that was that Sgt Pepper movie. As much as I hated disco, some of it wasn't so bad. Sad that only one Gibb is left.
"Sgt. Pepper" the movie was dreadful. One of the worst films of the 70's. But the soundtrack was pretty good.
Old 12-25-20, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Still Waters from 1997 was a 2X Platinum album in the U.S. It was their last hit studio album in America. I have it and it's a good selection of songs.

One Night Only from 1998, which was a Live Vegas concert was a platinum album as well.

Like I said earlier, if they covered their entire run, this would be a 4 hour film.
Old 12-25-20, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was born at the tale end of disco so I never really lived through it but just remember thinking it was silly music growing up. This documentary did a good job of giving a quick overview of good disco vs. shitty sell-out disco. I guess I never realized the difference. Amazingly, The Bee Gees disco music has aged pretty well and almost sound refreshing again after all these years. It’s like their music was cool, then lame, and now it’s seems cool again.

Either way, I’ve never considered myself a Bee Gees fan but this documentary gave me a new appreciation for them.
Old 12-25-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I was born at the tale end of disco so I never really lived through it but just remember thinking it was silly music growing up. This documentary did a good job of giving a quick overview of good disco vs. shitty sell-out disco. I guess I never realized the difference. Amazingly, The Bee Gees disco music has aged pretty well and almost sound refreshing again after all these years. It’s like their music was cool, then lame, and now it’s seems cool again.

Either way, I’ve never considered myself a Bee Gees fan but this documentary gave me a new appreciation for them.
It's interesting to hear from people born in a different era. I was a card-carrying rock fan. Literally. In the mid-late 70s when I was stationed in Pensacola FL a local station,TK101, handed out Long Live Rock Brigade cards. They were used, of course, for promotional things. One of the best was a movie theater had midnight showings of cult films.

I never realized, until this doc, why they went disco. Other than jumping on the bandwagon. Certainly gave a different perspective.
Old 01-07-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched the doc last night and really thought it was put together well. 60s era Bee Gees still really holds up well, imo.

Sidenote: I live in the Chicago area, and was a big fan of WLUP radio personality Steve Dahl. I was 17 when Disco Demolition happened, and I don't recall the 'Disco Sucks' movement as homophobic or racist. It was more about the alleged death of rock music and the whole 3-piece suit/fancy dress wearing disco crowd. I was a little shocked when the usher at Comiskey Park equated the 'disco sucks' thing as racist. I see his points, and they certainly came across as legit, but as someone who was a fan of 'disco sucks' at the time it was really about the style of music, and how it was seemingly killing rock.

Ironically I eventually became appreciative of the Bee Gees disco era stuff, as well a fan of some of disco's big names. Go figure.
Old 01-07-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"Sgt. Pepper" the movie was dreadful. One of the worst films of the 70's. But the soundtrack was pretty good.
One of THE BEST covers of a Beatle's song. EVER! by EWF.
Old 01-07-21, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
One of THE BEST covers of a Beatle's song. EVER! by EWF.
Yes it is.
Old 03-10-21, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/03/newsom-...ay-1234711580/

A Bee Gees movie is in the works. Kenneth Branagh was hired to direct it. It's probably a couple of years away from hitting the big screen, so I'm putting it here.
Old 01-18-22, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Just caught this on HBO today...really good. I've been a fan of the Bee Gees since 1977. My mom took me to see Saturday Night Fever for my 13th birthday the following year. I remember my step-dad having the soundtrack to the movie in his album collection when he had married my mom and they were moving in together to their first house. I ended up getting my own copy of it. I have it on CD to this day! Night Fever is my favorite on it.

I love mainly all their 70's stuff - before Sat Night Fever and after, and some of their late 80's stuff.

I thought what Steve Dahl did at that ballgame which caused the end of the Bee Gees back then was pretty idiotic and also fucked up. JMO.