DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Don’t Look Up (2021, D: McKay) S: Lawrence, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Hill, Chalamet, Streep - Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/651546-don%92t-look-up-2021-d-mckay-s-lawrence-blanchett-dicaprio-hill-chalamet-streep-netflix.html)

JayTL 12-27-21 11:01 PM

Re: Don’t Look Up (2021, D: McKay) S: Lawrence, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Hill, Chalamet, Streep - Netflix

Didn't like it as much as some people on this page. Kinda felt like it tried to be too funny but was a drama. Or too dramatic and was a comedy. Too in your face for a dark comedy. I did chuckle a few times.

3/5 for me

funkyryno 12-28-21 12:00 AM

Re: Don’t Look Up (2021, D: McKay) S: Lawrence, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Hill, Chalamet, Streep - Netflix

Only complaint I have is that it was too long. Kind of dragged a bit.

It is depressing how such an outlandish plot rings totally true.

Jaymole 12-28-21 05:22 AM

I was lukewarm about it. A few things made me laugh out loud but it was too long with too many dry patches.

csant 12-28-21 07:55 AM

Overall didnt like it. It did have some funny parts. But, I have to agree the movie was just too long.

The bag over the head was hella funny and end made me LOL.

Dr. DVD 12-28-21 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 14030381)
Meryl Streep as Trump
Jonah Hill as Don Jr.
Leo DiCaprio as Dr. Fauci
Cate Blanchett as Laura Ingraham

I think Streep's POTUS leaned more toward Lauren Boebert than Trump, but Trump was definitely an influence. Definitely a bit of retaliation in there for this incident I would wager.

Noonan 12-28-21 08:36 AM

A bit long and cringe due to how close to reality it is but I enjoyed it all the way through.

I read there was a 2nd post credits scene? Could someone post what it was in spoilers so I don't have to bring it back up and FF to the end?

RichC2 12-28-21 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 14031532)
A bit long and cringe due to how close to reality it is but I enjoyed it all the way through.

I read there was a 2nd post credits scene? Could someone post what it was in spoilers so I don't have to bring it back up and FF to the end?

Spoiler:
Jonah Hill's character surfaces from beneath the rubble and calls for his mommy

E Unit 12-28-21 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 14031531)
I think Streep's POTUS leaned more toward Lauren Boebert than Trump, but Trump was definitely an influence. Definitely a bit of retaliation in there for this incident I would wager. https://youtu.be/cqKsbc09eDk

I thought Streep’s president was pretty much a direct Trump character, which they emphasized when they kept showing those pictures of her posing with Steven Segal and Mariah Carey.

And boy, I really don’t care for Mark Rylance and his same performance. This was almost the exact same as Ready Player One. His monotone performances really don’t add anything to the role or movie overall.

jpcamb 12-28-21 09:48 AM

This movie was OK, I feel like Jennifer Lawrence and Leo would have been put in a deep hole pretty quickly in real life and would have disappeared. A sad reflection on the real world and this movie has the worst and second-worst launch scenes for rockets since Armageddon. At least they had rockets colliding in the ridiculous scenario. :lol: It was nice that they poked fun at celebrities and they seemed to have fun with the movie.

Does anyone know where the hell Michale Chiklis was in the movie, I feel like I completely missed him, was it a quick scene?

Noonan 12-28-21 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 14031566)
This movie was OK, I feel like Jennifer Lawrence and Leo would have been put in a deep hole pretty quickly in real life and would have disappeared. A sad reflection on the real world and this movie has the worst and second-worst launch scenes for rockets since Armageddon. At least they had rockets colliding in the ridiculous scenario. :lol: It was nice that they poked fun at celebrities and they seemed to have fun with the movie.

Does anyone know where the hell Michale Chiklis was in the movie, I feel like I completely missed him, was it a quick scene?

Took me a while too. He was the bald Conservative News guy they showed a few times (Fox equivalent). He didn't have much screen time at all.

bluetoast 12-28-21 10:45 AM

Yeah, Chiklis really got the shaft. When I saw his name in the credits, I thought he'd at least be some military guy, not someone with one line.

csant 12-28-21 03:18 PM

The general charging for free snacks was the best part of the movie. lol

jpcamb 12-28-21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by csant (Post 14031703)
The general charging for free snaps was the best part of the movie. lol

I actually thought it was great how Jennifer Lawrence obsessed over that. LOL

Cellar Door 12-28-21 04:10 PM

I agree with most of the reviews here. It's somewhat funny and entertaining, but also depressing that what should be an over-the-top parody is actually very close to the reality we live in.

I thought DiCaprio's story arc was really good. Cate Blanchett was a lot of fun as the morning show host, and Melanie Lynskey was perfect as the ultimately forgiving wife.

Jennifer Lawrence obsessing over the general and the snacks was funny, as was Jonah Hill just being an asshole to everyone. Chalamet's character seemed completely unnecessary, as if someone said to the director, "We need to appeal to young people, create a part for Timothee."

Pre-apocalyptic films are a favorite genre of mine, and this one certainly has a different flavor than most, so I'll probably watch it again some day.

Shannon Nutt 12-28-21 04:52 PM

Overall, I couldn't recommend it. It had some decent laughs, but the film is WAY too long and McKay is really preaching to the choir here - the people he's mocking/angry about will most likely never watch this movie. I thought JLaw was really good in this, but Leo seemed miscast - they should have given Leo the Jonah Hill part and given Jonah the Leo part.

rexinnih 12-28-21 07:52 PM

Alright, just finished it. Half watching it, half on in the background as I did some cleaning. 3 out of 5 stars. Yes, cynical, aligned to our times, thin veils for current/recent politics yet I always have faith in an Armegeddon/Deep Impact type scenario where the government doesn't have its head too far up their own keister to prevent the world from dying. Off My List in Netflix and not one to rewatch.

Daytripper 12-28-21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 14031717)
Jennifer Lawrence obsessing over the general and the snacks was funny, as was Jonah Hill just being an asshole to everyone. Chalamet's character seemed completely unnecessary, as if someone said to the director, "We need to appeal to young people, create a part for Timothee."

I do not read the National Review as a rule. But sometimes will click on Kyle Smith when on Rotten Tomatoes. I enjoy his snarky style and he does make me laugh. The Atlantic magazine once called him the most cantankerous film critic ever. A snippet from his "Don't Look Up" review:

McKay hasn’t made a funny movie in nearly 15 years (Step Brothers — before that, Anchorman and Talladega Nights) but he keeps attracting first-rate actors (as he did in Vice), and this one offers a star-packed cast and also Timothée Chalamet.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...uk0LWc69fxEMT8

Coral 12-30-21 12:38 AM

I thought this was merely passable.
It had a few funny scenes and lines, but it really felt like there were many missed opportunities to make this a much better satire.

The last 30-ish minutes brought the movie down a few notches. Definitely too long for what it was.

Decker 12-30-21 01:42 AM

I liked the trailer a lot more than the film. Liked most of the performers and performances in it — with the MAJOR exception of Mark Rylance who was virtually unwatchable and unbelievably annoying (and whose character brought about the most unbelievable and illogical plot twist in the movie. I felt like the tone was all wrong. Like a guy who can’t tell a joke trying to deliver solid stand-up material. It just didn’t work.
The Big Short was my favorite movie of 2015. I didn’t love Vice but at least that movie worked for what it was (and had one hysterical gag in it to boot). This was, to put it as kindly as I can, an interesting failure with an absurdly over-qualified cast.

Decker 12-30-21 08:53 AM

Kind of a weird tweet from Adam McKay. Almost as if stating that if you didn't like the movie you must be a climate change denier.

JayTL 12-30-21 09:03 AM

Are people having a heated debate over the movie?

RichC2 12-30-21 09:27 AM

I mean, Twitter is nothing but arguing so maybe?

d2cheer 12-30-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14032537)
Kind of a weird tweet from Adam McKay. Almost as if stating that if you didn't like the movie you must be a climate change denier.
https://twitter.com/GhostPanther/sta...uBpuYNxng&s=19

I have no anxiety about either... :shrug:

And watched this last night. Meh like most have said too long and good cast wasted. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Dimension X 12-30-21 07:19 PM

I thought it was okay. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. I didn't fall asleep while watching it.

OldBoy 12-30-21 09:29 PM

I want to see it…but like not sure if make priority…