DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Don’t Look Up (2021, D: McKay) S: Lawrence, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Hill, Chalamet, Streep - Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/651546-don%92t-look-up-2021-d-mckay-s-lawrence-blanchett-dicaprio-hill-chalamet-streep-netflix.html)

csant 11-16-21 12:28 PM

Re: Don’t Look Up (2021, D: McKay) S: Lawrence, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Hill, Chalamet, Streep - Netflix

I will most definitely watch this but im kinda confused is it a drama, comedy or all of the above? lol

Decker 11-16-21 12:48 PM

Re: Don’t Look Up (2021, D: McKay) S: Lawrence, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Hill, Chalamet, Streep - Netflix

Looks fun. Hope that trailer didn't ruin too many jokes.

JayTL 11-17-21 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by csant (Post 14012772)
I will most definitely watch this but im kinda confused is it a drama, comedy or all of the above? lol

Yes

dex14 12-07-21 07:03 PM

Reviews:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dont_look_up_2021

Decker 12-07-21 08:15 PM

Well that's not great. With some recent Critics awards and nominations, I expected pretty high praise universally.

TomOpus 12-07-21 08:15 PM

Planning on seeing this Friday.

dex14 12-23-21 03:25 PM

This will be up on Netflix tomorrow.

Throwing Copper 12-23-21 07:16 PM

I have a feeling that my expectations for this movie are so low that I might actually somewhat enjoy it.

Throwing Copper 12-24-21 07:12 AM

Welp, I watched the first 25 minutes of it. Only about 1 hour and 45 minutes to go, will probably wrap this up by the day after Christmas.

I assume Netflix did not buy this film after it was finished. There is just no fucking way. 😂

Troy Stiffler 12-24-21 10:00 AM

I'm 3/4 in. If this happens, this is an accurate portrayal of how it will play out.

TomOpus 12-24-21 05:33 PM

I liked it a lot more than I expected.

d2cheer 12-24-21 06:47 PM

We plan on watching this tonight or tomorrow...some interesting comments that don't make sense. :lol:

OldBoy 12-24-21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 14030066)
Welp, I watched the first 25 minutes of it. Only about 1 hour and 45 minutes to go, will probably wrap this up by the day after Christmas.

I assume Netflix did not buy this film after it was finished. There is just no fucking way. 😂

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 14030100)
I'm 3/4 in. If this happens, this is an accurate portrayal of how it will play out.

is this bad or good? Not quite sure…

Rodney2187 12-24-21 09:28 PM

I love it!

It’s sad how accurate this movie feels.

Nesbit 12-25-21 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 14030100)

It is and it is.

Merry Christmas everybody!

4/5 - Slightly uneven but powerful

Throwing Copper 12-25-21 05:00 AM

Meryl Streep as Trump
Jonah Hill as Don Jr.
Leo DiCaprio as Dr. Fauci
Cate Blanchett as Laura Ingraham

If you’re waiting for the Streep nude scene, it’s halfway through the end credits. There is a second bonus scene after all the credits are over.

This thing really did take 2 hours, 20 mins.

****Im also curious if they did something to Cate’s face to make it look like she’s had work done on purpose? I don’t remember her looking like that in other films.

RichC2 12-25-21 12:35 PM

This was a perfect movie for streaming. I thought it was pretty good.

DeFan 12-25-21 02:08 PM

I enjoyed this. Deeply cynical but we really are that stupid. On the other hand what would I do if I knew the earth was ending in 6 months? Be with loved ones.

The after credits scene is a perfect ending.

johnnysd 12-25-21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 14030381)
Meryl Streep as Trump
Jonah Hill as Don Jr.
Leo DiCaprio as Dr. Fauci
Cate Blanchett as Laura Ingraham

If you’re waiting for the Streep nude scene, it’s halfway through the end credits. There is a second bonus scene after all the credits are over.

This thing really did take 2 hours, 20 mins.

****Im also curious if they did something to Cate’s face to make it look like she’s had work done on purpose? I don’t remember her looking like that in other films.

Yeah they gave her some fake plastic surgery and fake teeth I think. It was a well done look. Rylance's look was odd almost they like they added a tiny bit of CGI to give him a uncanny valley effect.

I really liked it. Some I am sure will hate it, but it seemed a pretty accurate assessment of where the US is as a culture, Obviously inspired by the poloticization of Covid I thought it was actually almost too close to reality. Insanely good cast. I also didn't think it was as direct an attack on one particular party as some will think. It seemed just to be ant-modern politics in general.

Dan 12-25-21 04:41 PM

Worth it for the mid credits Oscar-worthy scene alone.
It was good. But I don't think McKay will ever top The Big Short.
Edit: there's another scene after the main credits, but before all the dubbing credits. That one is not so great.

Dr. DVD 12-25-21 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 14030488)
Yeah they gave her some fake plastic surgery and fake teeth I think. It was a well done look. Rylance's look was odd almost they like they added a tiny bit of CGI to give him a uncanny valley effect.

I really liked it. Some I am sure will hate it, but it seemed a pretty accurate assessment of where the US is as a culture, Obviously inspired by the poloticization of Covid I thought it was actually almost too close to reality. Insanely good cast. I also didn't think it was as direct an attack on one particular party as some will think. It seemed just to be ant-modern politics in general.

Just finished and all I can say is pretty much what everyone else is saying. Pretty accurate look at how the US functions and how it would most likely occur if it happens.

story 12-25-21 09:41 PM

We're watching this right now and the characters are excruciating. They are all driving me nuts, which is probably the point. Oh, boy, this feels too real.

Toddarino 12-27-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 14030578)
We're watching this right now and the characters are excruciating. They are all driving me nuts, which is probably the point. Oh, boy, this feels too real.

This is difficult to watch. It’s not a bad film by any means, it’s just crazy how plausible this seems.

E Unit 12-27-21 01:20 PM

Really fun cast. Too bad they’re in this movie. It’s horrible. I know they were going after satire, but they missed the mark big time. It had some funny moments, but overall it was really bad.

Throwing Copper 12-27-21 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 14031160)
Really fun cast. Too bad they’re in this movie. It’s horrible. I know they were going after satire, but they missed the mark big time. It had some funny moments, but overall it was really bad.

It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be, and it was funny at times, but wow what an overly long mess.

I assume Netflix spent a fortune on this to get the return of Jennifer Lawrence with Leo and Meryl, and this is what they got. A film that will be forgotten very quickly.

But Power of the Dog will clean up at the Oscars so I guess it evens out.