Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cleopatra (D: Skogland) S: Gadot

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-11-20, 12:42 PM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Gal Gadot will trade her lasso of truth for a golden crown, playing the legendary queen of Egypt in “Cleopatra,” a historical drama that will reunite the actress with her “Wonder Woman” director Patty Jenkins.

Paramount Pictures won the rights to the project, reportedly beating out other suitors such as Apple, Universal, Warner Bros. and Netflix. Gadot will get a chance to put her mark on a role previously essayed by the likes of Claudette Colbert and Elizabeth Taylor, playing a woman who romanced Julius Caesar and Marc Antony and served as the last ruler of Egypt’s Ptolemaic Kingdom. Taylor’s version proved to be so costly that 20th Century Fox nearly went bankrupt — hopefully this one will be less lavish.

There have been a number of Cleopatra projects kicking around Hollywood in recent years, including a project at Sony that at various points was rumored to star Angelina Jolie and Lady Gaga. It’s unclear what’s going on with that project.

Laeta Kalogridis (“Shutter Island”) will write the screenplay for the Gadot/Jenkins take.

Paramount Motion Picture Group President Emma Watts and the studio’s chairman Jim Gianopulos reportedly pushed hard to land “Cleopatra.” Watts, who joined the studio in June, has had a galvanic effect at the company, where insiders say she’s been encouraging her colleagues to get more aggressive in finding splashy material and urging them to think more creatively about reinvigorating tired franchises.

Gadot is represented by WME and Jenkins is represented by CAA. The two are also collaborating on “Wonder Woman 1984,” the superhero sequel that is expected to debut in December.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/g...nt-1234800482/

Different than the Sony / Villeneuve(?) one.
Old 10-11-20, 12:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
re: Cleopatra (D: Skogland) S: Gadot

could be interesting. i like the duo so who knows. one flop doesn't mean this can't succeed...
Old 10-11-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,732 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Gadot has the looks and stature to play Cleopatra and Jenkins is a solid director, so why not? Just depends on the script and who else they cast.
Old 10-11-20, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

It also kind of depends on who they cast as Marc Antony and Julius Caesar. Gadot couldn't carry it without high-powered co-stars--I'm guessing they'll try for Benedict Cumberbatch as one of them. Don't forget Liz Taylor had Richard Burton and Rex Harrison onscreen with her.
Old 10-11-20, 08:36 PM

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Lame. They should have gotten real Egyptians to star in that role. Country has millions of people with Cairo being one of the top 10 biggest cities in the world.

Can't wait to see Gadot along with a bunch of other white guys and gals parading around as Egyptians for this piece. They should have done a movie about Rameses II instead and make the best action film of all time.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (10-13-20)
Old 10-11-20, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Yeah, it's iffy. It's Ridley Scott's Exodus all over again.
IBJoel (10-13-20)
Old 10-11-20, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, it's iffy. It's Ridley Scott's Exodus all over again.
I see what you did there... casually not trying to drag your boy Butler in to the conversation with Gods of Egypt. We’re on to you! #bestof2016
IBJoel (10-13-20)
Old 10-11-20, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
I see what you did there... casually not trying to drag your boy Butler in to the conversation with Gods of Egypt. We’re on to you! #bestof2016

I mean, if Cleopatra sprouts wings, shit, I'm down with that, too. That, or if it gets stylized like the 300 films. We'll see. They've only announced Gadot, so maybe the rest of the cast be comprised of unknown actors who fit the parts?

Old 10-11-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 176 Posts

Like many others, I'm game to watch. looking forward to other cast announcements.
Old 10-11-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
Lame. They should have gotten real Egyptians to star in that role. Country has millions of people with Cairo being one of the top 10 biggest cities in the world.

Can't wait to see Gadot along with a bunch of other white guys and gals parading around as Egyptians for this piece. They should have done a movie about Rameses II instead and make the best action film of all time.
I would think her Israeli heritage makes her just as acceptable as Cleopatra as it is for her to play a Grecian Amazonian.
Old 10-12-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I would think her Israeli heritage makes her just as acceptable as Cleopatra as it is for her to play a Grecian Amazonian.

I see what you did there.
Old 10-12-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 796 Likes on 384 Posts

Will all of the other Egyptians speak with Israeli accents so she doesn't sound out of place, like the Amazons do?
Old 10-12-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Maybe not to far of a stretch. Some believe that Imhotep (The character in the Mummy movies) could be the biblical Joseph.
​​​​
IBJoel (10-13-20)
Old 10-12-20, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Israel was part of the Ptolemaic empire. Not sure why people want to dismiss Gadot because she's fair skinned. People should be upset because she's a hottie when Cleopatra was not. Jolie and Gaga would have been much worse choices.

Are Tunisians, Libyans, Algerians and Moroccans all supposed to be dark skinned Africans? The whole area around the Mediterranean is a melting pot of trade and conquest.

Old 10-12-20, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid

With that logic, Lt. Dan should have been played by a guy with no legs for the second half of the movie. Get over it dude, movies aren't out to "get you"... their a 2 hour fucking break from this shit-show of 2020.
Old 10-12-20, 05:51 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

More needless controversy and complaining. Wasn't Cleopatra more Greek than Egyptian, anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra
As a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty, she was a descendant of its founder Ptolemy I Soter, a Macedonian Greek general and companion of Alexander the Great. After the death of Cleopatra, Egypt became a province of the Roman Empire, marking the end of the penultimate Hellenistic state and the age that had lasted since the reign of Alexander (336–323 BC). Her native language was Koine Greek, and she was the only Ptolemaic ruler to learn the Egyptian language.

I can picture her in the role, and I certainly have no problem looking at her for a couple of hours. She is gorgeous. Whether or not the movie is any good will have little to do with her heritage.

Fun Fact: When Cleopatra was born in 69 B.C., the Great Pyramids were already ~2480 years old. Cleopatra lived 400 years closer to the time of the first moon landing in 1969 than she did to when the the Great Pyramids were actually built ~2550 B.C.

Last edited by JackoOnHisBacko; 10-12-20 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

As long as they don't let the budget get out of control like the Taylor/Burton version, they should be okay.
Old 10-12-20, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Okay then. She's incredibly attractive and this will be a super swanky movie, so it will be aesthetically pleasing with or without proper historical accuracy.

Now if they shoot this entirely on green screen they can go and fuck right off.
Old 10-13-20, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I think this could be interesting if its filmed right. I like Gadot and think she could fit the part well. Its weird to think the Taylor version almost ruined a company for costing under 50 million and this will probably have a budget of 3-4 times that.
Old 10-13-20, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts

These types of movies typically struggle even with an A-list actor/actress in it... if Gal is in it, it at least piques my interest.
Old 10-13-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I think there was some bullshit fucking around with history on BOTH sides in terms of Cleopatra and her heritage and story. Nothing new there right? The powerful tweak history to fit their narrative and that part of the African continent is ALWAYS trying to separate itself from dark Africans.

That said, I think she was likely Greek so here is my choice as Gal is too much of a distraction:

Old 10-13-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not hot enough and too old. ^
Old 10-13-20, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Not hot enough and too old. ^

Trust me, I know that these guys are more interested in having a star they can spank too.
Old 10-13-20, 01:27 PM

What the fuck are we even discussing anymore?
Old 10-13-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,122 Likes on 813 Posts

I get why Cleopatra has been an intriguing historical figure as a powerful woman famed for her beauty and affairs, but I don't see the attraction as the subject of a movie in 2020.

What is this going to be about plot-wise? Gadot is a star, but will she draw people to a historical biopic drama? Plus, I think Gadot puts the wonder in WW because of her physicality and presence as a super-hero. I guess she will have to prove to me that she can actually carry a movie just acting in a dramatic role.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.