Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Twisters (2024, D: Chung) S: Edgar-Jones, Powell, Ramos

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Twisters (2024, D: Chung) S: Edgar-Jones, Powell, Ramos

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Twisters (2024, D: Chung) S: Edgar-Jones, Powell, Ramos

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Now serious question. Tornadoes are still a problem. Do we still not have answers on how they’re made and how to predict them? Do people in tornado alley still live like they don’t have to worry about the thread of tornadoes?
They're getting better in predicting when one might form (Tornado Watch) and when one has formed on radar or spotted (Tornado Warning). Once they touch down you never know what will happen or which direction they might go. You kinda have a general idea but nothing positive. There is now a siren warning system to get people to a safe place during a Tornado Warning. Sirens are placed throughout the city. They test the sirens at 11am every Wednesday.
Old 02-12-24, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

We've always had the warning and watch system. The sirens are tested the first Wednesday of the month at 11am.
Old 02-12-24, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks good. I remember Twister being such a big event.

Now serious question. Tornadoes are still a problem. Do we still not have answers on how they’re made and how to predict them? Do people in tornado alley still live like they don’t have to worry about the thread of tornadoes?
Not as much as you’d think!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023...and-tornadoes/
Old 02-12-24, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
It's funny when the tornado picks up a 3-ton truck but spares the little people running 20 yards away.
While I agree to a point, I did a little tornado chasing in my TV news photographer day and while I never got to see one in the open, we happened upon a farm that had been destroyed minutes before. The grain silo was 100 yards away from the base but stuff on their front porch wasn't disturbed. They can be so weird.
Old 02-13-24, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
It's funny when the tornado picks up a 3-ton truck but spares the little people running 20 yards away.
Originally Posted by Draven
While I agree to a point, I did a little tornado chasing in my TV news photographer day and while I never got to see one in the open, we happened upon a farm that had been destroyed minutes before. The grain silo was 100 yards away from the base but stuff on their front porch wasn't disturbed. They can be so weird.
You've never seen it miss this house, and miss that house and come after you!
The following 3 users liked this post by tanman:
EEz28 (02-13-24), Michael Corvin (02-14-24), VHS? (04-10-24)
Old 02-13-24, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I saw one once when I was quickly headed home as the sirens were going off. It was a long distance away from me south from where I was when the funnel cloud started to come down. It was pretty cool but I was also glad I was driving home in the opposite direction of the tornado.
Old 02-13-24, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

The trailer makes it look more like a remake than a sequel. I'm in regardless - although I agree it looks a little too CGI'd for my preferences (but that's par for the course with everything that isn't made by Nolan).
Old 02-14-24, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Apparently thirty years of tech advancement didn't hit the storm chaser community outside of a drone shot because Dorothy is back! Best idea is still "drive head first into the tornado and drop off Dorothy."
Old 04-09-24, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Nothing like going to catch a matinee and standing in a wind machine to get your psyched up for the movie.

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I knew my closest theater had that machine I'd try it. I'm waiting on the 4k release of Twister which is rumored to be happening before the new movie comes out.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 04-10-24 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Nothing like going to catch a matinee and standing in a wind machine to get your psyched up for the movie.

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1777478228304642159

Doesn't seem very sanitary...
Old 04-10-24, 10:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

How many people will walk into it with their buttered popcorn and slushees. Am sure my kids will love it.
Old 04-10-24, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Safe to assume Helen Hunt cameo?
I'm a junkie for this stuff so I'm in.
Old 04-10-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Oh man, I can just picture a theater putting up a sign that says please do not bring your drink or popcorn with you in the wind booth and of course folks will ignore and you get a disgusting mess in the booth. Unless the wind is not all that intense that they blow on you, I bet it will be enough to muss up your hair so you can take a cool selfie, but otherwise not that different from standing next to a 3 foot fan on medium / high speed.

Also, even though Covid is no longer something to be really stressed out about being in a booth that will be blowing a lot of recycled air at you, not really something I would want to experience. Go to the theater to see a film and come back with the equivalent of con crud. I came down with a case of con crud once after I think a Big Wow comic show in San Jose, the show was crazy fun and helped me fill in my high grade Bronze age Jonah Hex comics big time, but I felt like carp on a stick for several days after, one of the worst bouts of illness I experienced in a crazy long time.

Anyway, I am genuinely looking forward to seeing this in a theater, and I believe I even re-watched the original when I bought it on Laserdisc quite a few year back, it is a fun film even after all these years and some of the cheesy CGI / Scenes in the original just help to make the film even more fun to watch.