Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Twisters (2024, D: Chung) S: Edgar-Jones, Powell, Ramos

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Twisters (2024, D: Chung) S: Edgar-Jones, Powell, Ramos

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 06:49 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: Twisters (2024, D: Chung) S: Edgar-Jones, Powell, Ramos

Daisy Edgar-Jones, who broke through with British miniseries Normal People, is in negotiations to star in Twisters, Universal Pictures and Amblin Entertainment’s reboot of the 1996 tornado adventure movie, Twister.

Minari helmer Lee Isaac Chung is going full studio tentpole with this project, which has a script by Mark L. Smith (The Revenant).

Frank Marshall, known for the outsize Jurassic Park and Jurassic World franchises, is producing via his banner, Kennedy/Marshall Company. Marshall’s wife, current Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, was a lead producer on the original.

Twister starred Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton as romantically estranged storm chasers facing rival storm chasers, a host of tornadoes, and their feelings for each other.

Jan de Bont directed the original, which grossed almost $500 million worldwide and featured ear-vibrating, floor-shaking THX sound design. Steven Spielberg was an exec producer, and author Michael Crichton wrote the screenplay.

The new story is not a sequel, nor is it expected to bring back old characters. The studio is describing it as a “new chapter.”

Edgar-Jones will star in the project as a former storm chaser who, after surviving a disastrous tornado encounter, now works a desk job. However, she will soon be forced to — you guessed it — go out into the breach once more.

Executive vp production Sara Scott and creative executive Jacqueline Garell will oversee for Universal Pictures. Ashley Jay Sandberg will oversee for Kennedy/Marshall.

The film will be co-financed by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Edgar-Jones may be best known to North American audiences for starring in last year’s adaptation of Where the Crawdads Sing from Sony. She gained notices for Normal People, a limited series seen on BBC and Hulu in which she starred with Paul Mescal. The drama earned her a Golden Globe nomination. She also co-starred in Hulu limited crime series Under the Banner of Heaven, which also earned her a Golden Globe nom.

The actress is currently filming the feature adaptation On Swift Horses directed by Daniel Minahan, starring opposite Jacob Elordi, Will Poulter and Diego Calva.

Edgar-Jones is represented by UTA, Hamilton Hodell in the U.K. and Sloane Offer.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235355289/
Old 03-18-23, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

"Twister" versus "Twisters"--which begs the question: Was there only one tornado in the 1996 movie? It's been 27 years but I seem to remember at least two tornadoes.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (03-19-23)
Old 03-18-23, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
"Twister" versus "Twisters"--which begs the question: Was there only one tornado in the 1996 movie? It's been 27 years but I seem to remember at least two tornadoes.
There were two aliens in Alien (counting the face-hugger).
Ash Ketchum (03-18-23)
Old 03-18-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I seem to recall 3 (if you’re to assume the one that hit the drive-in at night was the same, seemingly never ending, one that they chased during the day at the end). 4 if you count the one at the very beginning.
Old 03-18-23, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I seem to recall 3 (if you’re to assume the one that hit the drive-in at night was the same, seemingly never ending, one that they chased during the day at the end). 4 if you count the one at the very beginning.
What I remember most about TWISTER was the thing I liked about it most, something one never sees in movies like this--they all stopped to take a full meal and nap in the middle of the action!
GoldenJCJ (03-18-23)
Old 03-18-23, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Hmm...
1. the flashback twister
2-4: They used 3 for the Dorothy's, right? Three different twisters or the same one like you said?
5. the water twisters with the flying cow which they didn't use a Dorothy on
Old 03-18-23, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Does that mean the Helen Hunt plot with this character as the daughter is dropped? Or did I make that up?
Old 04-13-23, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Old 05-17-23, 01:51 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Universal and Amblin Entertainment have rounded out their Twisters cast with the addition of Maura Tierney (The Affair), Harry Hadden-Paton (Downton Abbey), Sasha Lane (American Honey), Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men), Nik Dodani (Atypical), David Corenswet (Pearl), Tunde Adebimpe (Spider-Man: Homecoming) and Katy O’Brian (The Mandalorian).

The actors join an ensemble for the disaster pic, following on the heels of the 1996 storm-chasing blockbuster Twister, that also includes Glen Powell, Daisy Edgar-Jones, Anthony Ramos, Brandon Perea and Daryl McCormack, as previously announced. No character details have been disclosed.
https://deadline.com/2023/05/twister...ey-1235370095/
Old 02-11-24, 06:26 PM

Re: Twisters (2024, D: Chung) S: Edgar-Jones, Powell, Ramos

If you feel it, chase it.
#TwistersMovie is only in theaters July 19.
_____

This summer, the epic studio disaster movie returns with an adrenaline-pumping, seat-gripping, big-screen thrill ride that puts you in direct contact with one of nature’s most wondrous—and destructive—forces.

From the producers of the Jurassic, Bourne and Indiana Jones series comes Twisters,
a current-day chapter of the 1996 blockbuster, Twister. Directed by Lee Isaac Chung, the Oscar® nominated writer-director of Minari, Twisters stars Golden Globe nominee Daisy Edgar-Jones (Where the Crawdads Sing, Normal People) and Glen Powell (Anyone But You, Top Gun: Maverick) as opposing forces who come together to try to predict, and possibly tame, the immense power of tornadoes.

Edgar-Jones stars as Kate Cooper, a former storm chaser haunted by a devastating encounter with a tornado during her college years who now studies storm patterns on screens safely in New York City. She is lured back to the open plains by her friend, Javi (Golden Globe nominee Anthony Ramos, In the Heights) to test a groundbreaking new tracking system. There, she crosses paths with Tyler Owens (Powell), the charming and reckless social-media superstar who thrives on posting his storm-chasing adventures with his raucous crew, the more dangerous the better.

As storm season intensifies, terrifying phenomena never seen before are unleashed, and Kate, Tyler and their competing teams find themselves squarely in the paths of multiple storm systems converging over central Oklahoma in the fight of their lives.

Twisters features an exciting new cast, including Nope’s Brandon Perea, Sasha Lane (American Honey), Daryl McCormack (Peaky Blinders), Kiernan Shipka (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina), Nik Dodani (Atypical) and Golden Globe winner Maura Tierney (Beautiful Boy).

From Amblin Entertainment, Twisters is directed by Lee Isaac Chung and is produced by Oscar® nominee Frank Marshall (Jurassic and Indiana Jones franchises) and by Patrick Crowley (Jurassic and Bourne franchises). The screenplay is by Mark L. Smith, writer of the Best Picture nominee The Revenant. Twisters will be distributed by Universal Pictures domestically and by Warner Bros. Pictures internationally.
Old 02-11-24, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Rock on Im stoked. The effects look great and the cast looks their parts well. I hope it has plenty of call backs to Twister and I hope Warner Bros. releases that movie on 4k as well. I loved seeing that windmill come crashing down. 😂
Old 02-11-24, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Looks better than I expected it to. I like the original well enough but it’s not really a movie I revisit often.
Old 02-11-24, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch Twister every year in the Spring during Severe Weather season. I wish this new movie would be out in May instead of July.
Old 02-11-24, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun. I was worried that they’d have a hard time differentiating this from the numerous SyFy level crap over the years but this looks like they did a good job of keeping the feel of the original.

Glenn Powell and Not Dakota Johnson look like a good team.
Old 02-11-24, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Should be a fun audio demo.
Old 02-11-24, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I LOVED all of the original Twister movies.....all 1 of them.

Kind of makes you wonder why SyFy didn't make this into a series, akin to Sharknado. Or maybe that was their version.

Do we need this? I didn't think so.
No we don’t it will never be like the original got to stop remaking some of our favorite movies
Old 02-11-24, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The truck augering into the ground was pretty cool.

I’ve seen the TIV 2 hurricane-hunting vehicle in real life and they have those kinds of things on them. Neat stuff.

Last edited by Draven; 02-12-24 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-11-24, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glen Powell's truck was a souped up Red Dodge Ram. Nice call back to Bill Paxton's truck from Twister.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluelitespecial:
GoldenJCJ (02-12-24), VHS? (04-10-24)
Old 02-12-24, 12:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Always liked the original and this looks like a lot of fun. I'm in
Old 02-12-24, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Interesting, I felt quite the opposite after seeing the commercial. I felt like it didn't offer anything new, which the 1996 film already perfected.

Though if the 1996 film didn't exist, and I saw this commercial, the movie would look fun to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by MLBFan24:
Brian T (02-12-24), Michael Corvin (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

It's funny when the tornado picks up a 3-ton truck but spares the little people running 20 yards away.
Old 02-12-24, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

CGI looks terrible
Old 02-12-24, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Interesting, I felt quite the opposite after seeing the commercial. I felt like it didn't offer anything new, which the 1996 film already perfected.

Though if the 1996 film didn't exist, and I saw this commercial, the movie would look fun to me.
That's what I came away with, superfluous and and unnecessary remake. Doesn't look like it brings anything new to the table at all. Plus, Bill Paxton, Helen Hunt, Carey Elwes and Philip Seymore Hoffman trump whoever is in this one.
MLBFan24 (02-13-24)
Old 02-12-24, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Looks good. I remember Twister being such a big event.

Now serious question. Tornadoes are still a problem. Do we still not have answers on how they’re made and how to predict them? Do people in tornado alley still live like they don’t have to worry about the thread of tornadoes?
Old 02-12-24, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of us know that Tornadoes are a part of life in the Midwest. There's nothing you can really predict but they happen when you have mixture of warm and cold air fronts. I haven't ever had a tornado directly affect me but I've been a part of some close calls including one that hit blocks from my house. I'd rather have to deal with the threat of tornadoes over earthquakes.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 02-12-24 at 08:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.