Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rutger Hauer Appreciation Thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 09:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i just loved him to pieces and appreciating him now so much more even though he passed a year ago. But some of his stuff is just iconic (Roy Batty, topping them all of course) and under appreciated, during a time when he was living in very lower shadows of Arnie and Sly. But he was great in everything. And took top billing on his 80’s, 90’s stuff. None were huge movies like the aforementioned muscle heads, but I’m sure he didn’t care and had a nice, long career. Wish I saw him more on talk shows, but I was too young when he probably did them after 82. Last I saw of him was Sin City. But, after watching this great German Blu-ray of Hitcher, I’m gonna get to his others. I see Split Second coming out on MVD, never saw that one. Surviving the Game was a good one with Ice-T, John C. McGinley, F. Murray Abraham, vintage Gary Busey and free to watch on Vudu right now, Blind Fury, even Ladyhawke so freaking good, which thankfully i have on blu. I want to go through his catalog. he was so good. nothing can top Baatty, but Nighthawks he was engaging as well and thankfully have that blu too.

such a great character actor that really started as the lead character in his films.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-10-20)
Old 06-06-20, 09:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Rutger Hauer Appreciation Thread.

He was great in everything he did, from the 80’s slasher movies to the small parts like in The Dark Knight. Vangelis had some nice words to say about him when he passed.

Old 06-07-20, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

If you really like Rutger Hauer then you need to watch the Dutch films he did with Paul Verhoeven in the 70's, especially Soldier of Orange.
The following 3 users liked this post by inri222:
andicus (08-27-20), IBJoel (06-11-20), Norm de Plume (06-07-20)
Old 06-07-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Yes, Soldier of Orange is exceptional, but I would posit Hauer's performance in The Hitcher as the best ever given in a genre film, and very high up in the pantheon of film performances period. The character's motivation was inscrutable, but what a tour de force of laconic menace and badassery!
Old 06-08-20, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Yes, Soldier of Orange is exceptional, but I would posit Hauer's performance in The Hitcher as the best ever given in a genre film, and very high up in the pantheon of film performances period. The character's motivation was inscrutable, but what a tour de force of laconic menace and badassery!
Yeah after The Hitcher I followed his career and sought out his previous films. Soldier of Orange is fantastic. I know there is some love here for Split Second but I watched it when it was released on VHS and wasn't impressed. Recently I have tried to get through it on Amazon Prime but just can't slog through it.
Old 06-08-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

d2cheer, I saw Split Second in theaters...at the time it was not a slog to get through and of course the creature is a Predator rip-off but I felt the movie while not great was still a fun way to kill a couple hours of my day. If I tried watching it today I wonder if it would match-up with the memories I had of seeing the film in theaters when it was first released.

Also, this post was a bit jarring because I had almost forgot that Rutger Hauer had passed away, and for a moment I was confused and thought this was one of those threads honoring an actor's work but doing so while they are still alive (we have several actor appreciation threads on this site dedicated to folks who are still around).

A reminder that some phenomenal actors have passed away in the past 15 months due to natural causes, or a disease like cancer.

I will be 50 next year so I need to brace myself that a lot of folks who I grew up watching in theaters and on TV are getting up there in age and may pass in the fairly near future.

Blind Fury, Blade Runner, The Hitcher (I believe I saw an edited for content version years ago, not a horror fan so that will have to suffice for me but I am aware it is a beloved film among horror/thriller/slasher film buffs due to Hauers' performance and kills like the infamous torn apart by vehicles one always mentioned in articles about The Hitcher), Split Second, and others...at least many of his films have a solid replay value.

He continues to rest in peace.
Old 06-08-20, 10:14 PM

So the only way to get Soldier of Orange which sounds amazing, is to import Tartan DVD?
Old 06-09-20, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I still have my DVD copy. Jennifer Jason Leigh was pretty much naked in the film and her raped scene was kind of shocking,.
Old 08-10-20, 07:52 PM

I just saw Wanted: Dead or Alive and man Rutger is just so good. So commanding. A real presence and seems smart. Good actor that I think deserved more. Sin City was a nice resurgence for a minute as Quentin/Rodriguez like to do that, but he shows so much great emotion in all his roles. He’s creepy, kind, sadistic, warm, a badass and a softie. One extra with Mel Harris on the disc said he was incredible to work with and be around. The small extras on German blu of The Hitcher of archival interview with him is just great. I’m really looking forward to Split Second blu coming later this week. First time viewing. He’s just great in everything. Have Soldier of Orange in the hopper as well as Flesh & Blood. I’m on a Rutger marathon now.
Old 08-13-20, 11:18 AM

Just got Split Second. that will be my weekend, if not sooner, viewing for sure!
Old 08-13-20, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have been a massive fan of Rutger ever since seeing him for the first time in Blade Runner in 82. All through my school years i qould check out every new movie be appeared in, plus caught up on his earlier stuff like Soldier of Orange and Turkish Delight. Even his lesser movies like Salute of the Jugger, were still entertaining and he was always great. I really enjoyed him in Flesh & Blood, Blind Fury, The Osterman Weekend, Nighthawks. The cream of the crop will always be Blade Runner, the Hitcher and Wanted: Dead or Alive (this was actually a sequel to the old McQueen T.V. show, and the character is supposed to.be a descendent).

Growing up in England i always loved the adverts he would appear in for Guinness, many of which were directed by Ridley Scott. A lot of those got quotable in the UK. "Its not easy being a dolphin." Pure Genius indeed.

I miss the guy.
Old 08-13-20, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

LadyHawke is my favorite of his. He was also good in Escape from Sobibor...
Old 08-26-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Just watched Split Second...man, that Rutger Hauer knows how to have fun. I read that director Tony Maylam was so stressed out about daily script changes that he quit before shooting had completed. That chaos apparently didn't bother Hauer one bit as he's all in playing Harley Stone, an edgy cop haunted by the murder of his partner by a serial killer.

I haven't the faintest idea how Hauer maintains such earnestness when flashing his badge at a guard dog and uttering the line, 'Police, dickhead.' After a murder, he confronts the dog again and says with complete seriousness, 'You saw who it was, didn't you?' If that guard dog had started talking, I suspect I wouldn't've batted an eye because Hauer would have sold the moment.

The plot sort of makes sense until the big reveal of the killer...at which point you shouldn't think back to everything the killer does or you'll hurt your brain. Hauer is totally game, though, and wholly commits to whatever script change came about, giving the movie so much more credibility than it deserves. The rest of the cast is surprisingly good as well, but Hauer manages to carry a fair bit of the film on his shoulders.

Just one thing: after sitting through this thing, I have no clue why it was called 'Split Second'. Any ideas?
Old 08-27-20, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
If you really like Rutger Hauer then you need to watch the Dutch films he did with Paul Verhoeven in the 70's, especially Soldier of Orange.
Yes! No Rutger Hauer discussion is complete, without Spetters.

Old 08-27-20, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by andicus
Yes! No Rutger Hauer discussion is complete, without Spetters.

is this a good movie?
Old 08-27-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is this a good movie?
It's been at least 30 years since I've seen it, so I couldn't say with certainty. I do remember it being somewhat cheesy.

Regardless, I know I enjoyed it, at the time. I watched it because it had Rutger and motocross.
Old 08-27-20, 10:46 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Love Rutger Hauer. He was at home - and brilliant - in everything from high concept films like Blade Runner to fun schlock like one of my favorites:

Old 08-28-20, 11:06 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Just watched Split Second...man, that Rutger Hauer knows how to have fun. I read that director Tony Maylam was so stressed out about daily script changes that he quit before shooting had completed. That chaos apparently didn't bother Hauer one bit as he's all in playing Harley Stone, an edgy cop haunted by the murder of his partner by a serial killer.

I haven't the faintest idea how Hauer maintains such earnestness when flashing his badge at a guard dog and uttering the line, 'Police, dickhead.' After a murder, he confronts the dog again and says with complete seriousness, 'You saw who it was, didn't you?' If that guard dog had started talking, I suspect I wouldn't've batted an eye because Hauer would have sold the moment.

The plot sort of makes sense until the big reveal of the killer...at which point you shouldn't think back to everything the killer does or you'll hurt your brain. Hauer is totally game, though, and wholly commits to whatever script change came about, giving the movie so much more credibility than it deserves. The rest of the cast is surprisingly good as well, but Hauer manages to carry a fair bit of the film on his shoulders.

Just one thing: after sitting through this thing, I have no clue why it was called 'Split Second'. Any ideas?
I can’t answer your question, but I recently saw this for the first time and absolutely loved it.
Old 08-30-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I seem to recall that the original script was based more on an occult serial killer and was called Pentagram. I also seem to remember seeing an early production poster with a different name for the movie, but cant recall what it was.

I have not seen it since maybe the original viewing whwn it came out, and i am very curious to see how its aged. Probably badly, but Rutger will be ace.