Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AMC might not survive

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

AMC might not survive

Old 06-03-20, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
AMC might not survive

Link:

New York (CNN Business)AMC Theatres, the world's biggest movie theater chain, said on Wednesday that it has "substantial doubt" it can remain in business after closing locations across the globe during the coronavirus pandemic.

The theater chain, which closed its theaters earlier this year, expects to have lost between $2.1 billion and $2.4 billion in the first quarter. The company also said that its revenue fell to $941.5 million, which was down roughly 22% from $1.2 billion in the same quarter last year. This quarter, the situation has gotten substantially worse. "We are generating effectively no revenue," the company said in a regulatory filing Wednesday.

AMC (AMC) will continue to monitor the "potential lifting of various government operating restrictions," but added that the chain has serious challenges even if restrictions are lifted. That includes studios holding back new films from being shown. "Even if governmental operating restrictions are lifted in certain jurisdictions, distributors may delay the release of new films until such time that operating restrictions are eased more broadly domestically and internationally, which may further limit our operations," the company said.

The company said that it had a cash balance of $718.3 million as of April. "We believe we have the cash resources to reopen our theatres and resume our operations this summer or later," AMC said. "Our liquidity needs thereafter will depend, among other things, on the timing of a full resumption of operations, the timing of movie releases and our ability to generate revenues." The company's stock rose 4% after initially declining 8% in early morning trading on Wednesday.

The coronavirus outbreak has ravaged the movie theater business. Movie theaters large and small were closed because of the outbreak and some of the year's biggest films — "Mulan," "Wonder Woman 1984" and "F9" — were delayed.Movie theaters like AMC also faced another existential threat because audiences can watch movies at home. This was the case with Universal's "Trolls World Tour," which bypassed theaters for a digital release. Universal's decision to release "Trolls" on demand caused a feud between the studio and AMC leading to the chain to ban Universal's films from its theaters.
While I'd hate to see a whole company go under, my hot take is that there are too many theaters in major cities. There are probably 40 screens within a few miles of my home. I think things have gotten so diluted and the opening weekend is too important. I think the whole industry could scale back, stop relying on blockbusters and bring back the smaller movies. It would be painful, but we don't need to be spending hundreds of millions of dollars on many of these movies.
Old 06-03-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts
Re: AMC might not survive

Where I'm located, I'd lose the closest IMAX and, of course, Dolby Cinema.
Old 06-03-20, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

If I lose the AMC near my house, that means I have to drive an extra 6 miles on top of the 8ish I already do. I may not go to movies anymore outside of a few blockbusters.
Old 06-03-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 300 Likes on 251 Posts

I usually go to the Regal, but AMC ia a little closer. It used to be a depressing dump, but they switched to the reclining loungers, and I’’d started going there more often.

Not a big fan of chains, but also not a fan of one disappearing and the other dominating.
Old 06-03-20, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't want anyone to lose their jobs. But I'm actually dumbfounded as to how theaters are still open. Movie going is an awful experience. Whether is people texting, excessive ticket prices, etc. It's just awful.
The following 5 users liked this post by starseed1981:
Alan Smithee (06-03-20), [email protected] (06-04-20), Rob V (06-04-20), Sonny Corinthos (06-04-20), spainlinx0 (06-05-20)
Old 06-03-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

AMC is the worst theater where I live. Run down af. Haven't been there in years.
Old 06-03-20, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
AMC is the worst theater where I live. Run down af. Haven't been there in years.
They aren’t great near me either. I go to our revamped Marcus. We have also gone to the new Emagine one that opened near us or the Alamo for date night.
Old 06-03-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Where I'm at... we only have 2 theaters within an hour drive in any direction.
One being a Majestic. The other being a Cinemark.

I've never seen an AMC theater, much less been to one.
Old 06-03-20, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Received 244 Likes on 177 Posts

Aw man. The only thing near me is AMC. Or Arclight, but I really don't like the fact that Arclight doesn't have matinee pricing.
Old 06-03-20, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

My local small town theater closed down right before the Covid-19 outbreak so that just left the closest theater which is AMC a good 40 minutes away. Guess I will be waiting for digital rentals for now on.
Old 06-03-20, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
My local small town theater closed down right before the Covid-19 outbreak so that just left the closest theater which is AMC a good 40 minutes away. Guess I will be waiting for digital rentals for now on.
I'd love to see a smaller theater be able to open back up and make a go of it. Maybe this will shift that.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

AMC was my local go to. They did a nice remodel with the reclining seats and reservation system. Being a premier "VIP" has more than paid for itself. Would be sorry to see it go.
Old 06-03-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

That's a lot of highly modified real estate. I would think someone would snatch up the higher-quality locations under a new name.

Lots of the AMC's around here remodeled over the past five years. They're not as nice as the higher-end dinner theaters. But they're pretty good.
Deftones (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

MoviePass says “welcome to the club”

I usually go to Cinemark near me, so I’ve only been to AMC a handful of times in my life. Still sucks to see a big company fail through no fault of their own.
Old 06-03-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,172 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
MoviePass says “welcome to the club”

I usually go to Cinemark near me, so I’ve only been to AMC a handful of times in my life. Still sucks to see a big company fail through no fault of their own.

Has nothing to do with Moviepass. Shutting down for nearly 3 months has been a disaster. AMC took on debt to introduce A-List, which was starting to turn a profit and was approaching 1M subscribers and to remodel their theatres.

They had money to successfully operate and were doing well before the pandemic hit, but they still had to pay rent and operating expenses when the pandemic shut them down. With no money coming in, any business would suffer.
Old 06-03-20, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

And I'm sure with A-List probably gone, Regal will discontinue their service soon as well.
Old 06-03-20, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
And I'm sure with A-List probably gone, Regal will discontinue their service soon as well.
Why would they discontinue it? You need that kind of service to bring in customers.

People who spend the $20/month are likely going to come in and spend money on the $8 popcorn and $6 sodas. That's how they make money.

If AMC somehow hangs on, they have no reason to drop it. They need it.
Old 06-03-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Why would they discontinue it? You need that kind of service to bring in customers.

People who spend the $20/month are likely going to come in and spend money on the $8 popcorn and $6 sodas. That's how they make money.

If AMC somehow hangs on, they have no reason to drop it. They need it.
I'm saying if AMC goes under. Regal's plan was clearly a reaction to A-list (which was in turn a reaction to Moviepass). Also I think even before this they hiked the price of A-list up, at least in my state.
Old 06-03-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm saying if AMC goes under. Regal's plan was clearly a reaction to A-list (which was in turn a reaction to Moviepass). Also I think even before this they hiked the price of A-list up, at least in my state.
No it wasn't. Cineworld owns Regal and they have had a program in the UK for well over a decade. They took their time developing it for the U.S. market. They didn't rush it out as a reaction to AMC.

A-List was also in development prior to Moviepass becoming popular. John Campea who has a YouTube channel used to work at AMC and said it was in development for like 5 years when he was there.

You can't half ass something like this as a "reaction" You have to make the finances work.
Old 06-03-20, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 324 Likes on 241 Posts

I got $50 in AMC gift cards for Xmas. I hope they stay open long enough for me to use them.
Old 06-03-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
No it wasn't. Cineworld owns Regal and they have had a program in the UK for well over a decade. They took their time developing it for the U.S. market. They didn't rush it out as a reaction to AMC.

A-List was also in development prior to Moviepass becoming popular. John Campea who has a YouTube channel used to work at AMC and said it was in development for like 5 years when he was there.

You can't half ass something like this as a "reaction" You have to make the finances work.
Ok, you're right, they didn't create it out of the blue. But I guarantee you the pricepoint was going to be way higher (and thus way more niche) if not for Moviepass (bleeding money like a madman).
Old 06-04-20, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 181 Posts

There is one in Newpark Mall and it looks nice from the photos I have seen and hope it does not go out of business

Old 06-04-20, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I like going to the movies (well, back in the Before Times.) They renovated the second closest AMC to me and it's pretty nice now, and the closest one to me is a dine-in which i guess is nice just not my preference. Another one used to be 'the dollar theatre', then became the 2.00 theater, now it's an AMC that plays first run movies for 5 or 6 bucks but feels like it should be condemned so they went the wrong way with that.
I've only got 4 theatres within 30 minutes of me (not counting the IMAX at the children's museum).
I hope they don't fail, I like having multiple choices and I don't want a whole company to go down. I know in some areas a movie theatre is apparently a lawless wasteland of kids and phones and obnoxious people but I guess I've been lucky in that regard.
But between the original shift toward streaming, a 3-month-plus shutdown, and lingering for-who-knows-how-long concerns on social gatherings and sitting in a cloth seat that someone else just sat in, theaters definitely have a major uphill climb. I think, bare minimum, the "movie going experience" as we knew it before is irrevocably and drastically changed.
IBJoel (06-04-20)
Old 06-04-20, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

In terms of where I live I go to AMC Theaters the least. I think they'll get bought out as I posted in the Covid movie thread about Amazon might be interested in buying them.
Old 06-04-20, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
In terms of where I live I go to AMC Theaters the least. I think they'll get bought out as I posted in the Covid movie thread about Amazon might be interested in buying them.
Isn't Amazon considered a film studio? I doubt they can buy them up unless the Supreme Court reverses course.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.