Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite movie scenes of all-time?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-17-20, 07:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 248 Likes on 217 Posts

I searched and didn't find anything remotely current.

So, what are your favorite movie scenes?

One i just saw was the original Mission: Impossible when Ethan (Tom Cruise) uses the blowup gum and says "Kittridge you've never seen me very upset" and then blows the tank up and runs and you know that is Tom doing stunt and it's a fabulous scene.

many more to come...
Old 05-17-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 378 Posts
Re: Favorite movie scenes of all-time?

Too many to mention but Iíll start with:

The USS Indianapolis speech in Jaws. Basically the whole seven beginning with comparing scars.

The opening scene of Reservoir Dogs. The guyís interactions with each other is great.

The city shootout in Heat.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (05-18-20), JeremyM (05-27-20)
Old 05-17-20, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Zabriskie Point
”Careful with that axe, Eugene”
Old 05-17-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

George punching Biff in Back to the Future.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (05-27-20)
Old 05-18-20, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 297 Posts

Alien- the chestburster scene. Disturbing yet very memorable.

Also the ending when Ripley thinks sheís finally safe but the Xeno is on board the escape pod with her.

Back to the Future- the Twin Pines Mall time machine test and subsequent leading into Marty being chased around the lot by the Libyans and going back to 1955. The first time we see Marty interact with Doc (they talk beforehand but still). Plus the first revelation of the DeLorean time machine, which is one of the coolest movie cars ever in my opinion. Itís just memorable.

Also the Johnny B. Goode scene is always fun to watch.

Batman (1989)- the museum scene. I like The Joker and his gang vandalizing the artwork. Plus the ďmeltingĒ part after Vicki throws water and smears Jokerís makeup. Itís also the first encounter between Batman and The Joker and leads to another cool scene at the Batcave.

Batman Begins- Bruce training with Ducard/Raís al Ghul in the Himalayas. Just a cool scene and I like the setting. Really I enjoy all the stuff with Bruce and Raís.

Jaws- the entire ending with Brody, Quint, and Hooper on the Orca. The cabin scene with them talking and singing and of course the showdown with the shark.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture- Kirk and Scotty traveling aboard the travel pod to the newly refitted Enterprise. Just a simple scene but itís so awesome. Iíve always loved it. The music just adds so much to the scene and I love the Enterprise refit design.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan- Spockís sacrifice to save the Enterprise and the moment he and Kirk share before he dies. Also the memorial scene afterwards.

Star Wars: A New Hope- the Mos Eisley cantina scene. The first meeting of Luke, Han, and Chewbacca. Plus all the cool creatures who inhabit the cantina and the song.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back- Luke meeting Yoda on Dagobah. Fun seeing Yoda being a pest before revealing himself as the Jedi Master.

The Bespin duel. Itís just so atmospheric and iconic. The reveal of Vader as Lukeís father is something that even though Iíve seen it so many times is awesome to see play out.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi- the Jabbaís Palace sequence. We donít really see a ton of Jabba, but what we do see it him is a lot of fun. Plus there are a lot of cool creatures and the battle to escape is fun.

The Death Star II throne room duel. Luke conflicted by having to face his father. Vader doing everything he can to get Luke to turn, but yet at the same time being conflicted by his loyalty to the Emperor. Palpatine being an evil bastard.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day- There are so many cool scenes. The motorcycle vs. semi chase and the showdown at Cyberdyne are both memorable and fun to watch.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-18-20 at 01:13 AM.
IBJoel (05-18-20)
Old 05-18-20, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Star Trek: The Motion Picture- Kirk and Scotty traveling aboard the travel pod to the newly refitted Enterprise. Just a simple scene but itís so awesome. Iíve always loved it. The music just adds so much to the scene and I love the Enterprise refit design.
Yes! Love this scene and you'll never see anything like it again. To devote that much screen time on a dialogue free beauty shot of a miniature spaceship model is something that will never be done again.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan- Spockís sacrifice to save the Enterprise and the moment he and Kirk share before he dies. Also the memorial scene afterwards.
Makes me tear up every time and an example of how William Shatner actually can be a good actor.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back- Luke meeting Yoda on Dagobah. Fun seeing Yoda being a pest before revealing himself as the Jedi Master.
So many great scenes. Where to begin? The battle of Hoth is one of my favorite scenes of all time. The asteroid field is incredibly beautifully shot and composed both visually and musically. But I agree with you that I absolutely love quiet character building moments and Dagobah is hard to beat. The amusing and surprising way we first meet Yoda and find out Luke really isn't as much of a bad ass as we think. But my favorite is the whole scene where Yoda raises Luke's X-wing. We get so much in so few lines of dialogue. The whole philosophy of the force and how much of a jedi master Yoda really is and how Luke's preconceived notions are all challenged.

Old 05-18-20, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 180 Posts

Contact - The opening scene. Beautifully shot, starts with a shot of the Earth from space pulling back through space, the solar system, the galaxy and beyond only to end in the eyes of a young girl. Implying that despite the grand cosmos there's nothing more important than the relationship between a daughter and father.

Jurassic Park - The T-Rex attack. Like Jaws before the movie builds up the tension always teasing the appearance of the beast. Key in a dark and stormy scene and the tension is at an all time high until the moment the full grandeur of the T-Rex is revealed. And this isn't your grandfather's stop motion animation T-Rex. This is a living breathing dinosaur brought to life by a combination of brand new computer technology seamlessly combined with a full sized robotic puppet.

Bumblebee - Cybertron OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG It's finally happening! G1 transformers on screen!

Saving Private Ryan - D-Day

Schindler's List - End seen where Oscar Schindler is wrought with guilt that even though he did so much he felt like it wasn't enough

Wonder Woman - No mans land/taking the village

Big Fish - The end where it flips and its the son telling his father his final story

Bicentennial Man - I bet no one has this movie on their list. Personal favorite of mine. When the android is sitting with the father after his daughter's wedding and he has the android play a holographic video of him dancing with his daughter and he's overcome with emotion as he realizes his daughter isn't his little girl anymore.

LotR - So many but I'll highlight the charge of the Rohirrim at the battle of Pelennor Fields especially King Theoden's speach.
IBJoel (05-18-20)
Old 05-18-20, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's more fun posting the clips, no?

Here's one: Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War. One of my favorite scenes in his career.
Cecil Vyse (07-13-20)
Old 05-18-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Followed by another clip of people yelling in an office, the Lion vs. Tuna argument in The Other Guys.
Old 05-18-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,403 Likes on 876 Posts

Does Michael Corleone's trip to Havana in The Godfather Part II count as one scene? If so that is my favorite. I love every single moment of that sequence.

More recently, I am in awe of the bar scene in Inglorious Basterds. So tense, so well acted. Such high stakes.
Old 05-18-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmmm...was going to pick one of the incredible shoot-out sequences in Hard Boiled, or The Killer, or even A Better Tomorrow (if I remember correctly there is the great end scene where the hero comes in on a speed boat machine gun blazing and launching a grenade(!) at the dock, such an iconic start to a great action sequence) but I am going to go with one from my favorite film Die Hard. You have Bruce Willis jumping off a building that has just exploded taking out the roof of the building and helicopter, then he has to scramble to untie himself to avoid falling out the window, not long after the elevator dings and blows up and he says Jesus! It is his reaction to the elevator blowing up that really provides the perfect way to punctuate the rooftop explosion sequence.
Mabuse (05-19-20)
Old 05-18-20, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Hmmm...was going to pick one of the incredible shoot-out sequences in Hard Boiled, or The Killer, or even A Better Tomorrow (if I remember correctly there is the great end scene where the hero comes in on a speed boat machine gun blazing and launching a grenade(!) at the dock, such an iconic start to a great action sequence) but I am going to go with one from my favorite film Die Hard. You have Bruce Willis jumping off a building that has just exploded taking out the roof of the building and helicopter, then he has to scramble to untie himself to avoid falling out the window, not long after the elevator dings and blows up and he says Jesus! It is his reaction to the elevator blowing up that really provides the perfect way to punctuate the rooftop explosion sequence.
He's great in that scene, and the stuff with the fire hose is amazing. I just wish the composite effect with the explosion was more believable. That always takes me out of the scene.
Old 05-18-20, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Jaws: ditto on the Indianapolis scene
The Empire Strikes Back: Yoda's speech about the nature of the Force ("Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter")
Jurassic Park: "Shoot herrrrrr!"
The Dark Knight Rises: Bruce Wayne and the prison doctor's discussion about the climb and the fear of death/Bruce Wayne and Alfred discussing the Bruce's purpose in life, distrust, and depression
Moonlight: the end confession of Chiron's feelings is heartbreaking
If Beale Street Could Talk: as are the final moments in the prison
JeremyM (05-27-20)
Old 05-18-20, 01:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Baldwin speech in Glengarry Glen Ross.
JeremyM (05-27-20)
Old 05-18-20, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Baldwin speech in Glengarry Glen Ross.
That's not in the play, right?
Old 05-18-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Ray and Winston discussing religion in Ghostbusters. I love this scene so much.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluelitespecial:
JeremyM (05-27-20), Mabuse (05-19-20), PhantomStranger (05-18-20)
Old 05-18-20, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 05-18-20, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

In IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963), my favorite scene is the one where all the cast, confined to the two taxis, suddenly realize that the police chief (Spencer Tracy) who ordered them to report to headquarters on their own accord is speeding off in the wrong direction and taking all the money with him.

Old 05-18-20, 07:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That's not in the play, right?
Oh, I dunno, i only watched the movie. The Brass balls scene.
Old 05-18-20, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 85 Posts

The ghost scene in Three Men and a Baby.
Old 05-19-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The Shawshank Redemption - Ending
25th Hour - "Left turn to where"
Saving Private Ryan - Ending
Good Will Hunting - Park Bench
Lawrence of Arabia - Lawrence appearing over the horizon
Best Years of Our Lives - Ending
Old 05-19-20, 04:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

I’m going to pick a less obvious one. Last Temptation of Christ. The scene near the end with Harry Dean Stanton as Paul/Saul.
Old 05-19-20, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine used to be from Return Of The Jedi where the Emperor is torturing Luke with the force lightning and Vader is looking back and forth from his son and his master WITHOUT SAYING A FUCKING WORD! The way his head moved and the quiet was perfect for that scene. So naturally Lucas had to fuck it up.
The following 3 users liked this post by stvn1974:
IBJoel (05-20-20), JeremyM (05-27-20), tanman (05-30-20)
Old 05-19-20, 05:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Psycho - shower scene
2001 - Dave re-boarding via airlock, followed by shutdown of HAL
Bourne Ultimatum - chase through Tangier
Interstellar - docking the out-of-control Endurance
Terminator 2 - T-800 and T-1000 meet for first time
Airplane! - disco scene
Avengers: Endgame - portals opening
The Sting - Gondorff flashes 4 Jacks, beating Lonnegan, who was sure Gondorff had 4 3s
Old 05-19-20, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Bicentennial Man - I bet no one has this movie on their list. Personal favorite of mine. When the android is sitting with the father after his daughter's wedding and he has the android play a holographic video of him dancing with his daughter and he's overcome with emotion as he realizes his daughter isn't his little girl anymore.
That particular scene doesnít stand out to me, but I do feel this is a movie often overlooked in Robin Williamsí career. I believe itís one of the best movies he ever did, tied with What Dreams May Come.

And hereís one of my favorites of all-time:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.