Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The High Note (2020, D: Ganatra) S: Tracee Ellis Ross, Dakota Johnson, Ice Cube

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 04:30 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Set in the dazzling world of the LA music scene comes the story of Grace Davis (Tracee Ellis Ross), a superstar whose talent, and ego, have reached unbelievable heights, and Maggie (Dakota Johnson), her overworked personal assistant. While stuck running errands, Maggie still aspires to her childhood dream of becoming a music producer. When Grace’s manager (Ice Cube) presents her with a choice that could alter the course of her career, Maggie and Grace come up with a plan that could change their lives forever.

Visit WatchTheHighNote.com for more information on where to watch at home on demand.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9308382

This was supposed to be released in theatres this weekend, but will go VOD on 5/29 instead.
Old 08-23-20, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: The High Note (2020, D: Ganatra) S: Tracee Ellis Ross, Dakota Johnson, Ice Cube

I did not have high expectations but this was not bad and Dakota is likeable even if her acting is wooden.
Old 10-06-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The High Note (2020, D: Ganatra) S: Tracee Ellis Ross, Dakota Johnson, Ice Cube

I just rented this from Red Box and this was surprisingly pretty good. It was predictable as there have been other music themed dramas similar to this. But, the music was good and I liked the chemistry with the cast including Ross and Johnson.

If I had to nitpick, there was a few too many coincidences.

Bill Pullman being in this was a pleasant surprise. But, he doesn't appear until very late in the movie.

I'd give it a B.
Old 10-06-20, 04:28 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I saw this when it went it a cheap rental. I enjoyed it overall but the “twist” was dumb.
Old 10-06-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I saw this when it went it a cheap rental. I enjoyed it overall but the “twist” was dumb.
Yeah that "twist" or ridiculous coincidence was probably the dumbest part of the entire movie. That's pure fairy tale writing.
Old 03-01-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Somehow I wasn’t expecting this to be as standard-rom-com as it was, but I liked it and the music was good. Dakota Johnson is generally kind of a bore, but she was ok here.