Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Extraction 2 (2023, D: Hargrave) S: Hemsworth - Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 06:23 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: As the Chris Hemsworth action film Extraction continues on pace to become Netflix’s most watched feature film ever, the film’s writer, Joe Russo, has closed a deal to write another installment of the high action film. AGBO, the company run by Russo and his brother Anthony, are putting the pieces together and are optimistic that Sam Hargrave returns as director, and that Chris Hemsworth will reprise as mercenary Tyler Rake, though those deals won’t be made by Netflix until the script is ready.

“The deal is closed for me to write Extraction 2, and we are in the formative stages of what the story can be,” Russo told Deadline. “We’re not committing yet to whether that story goes forward, or backward in time. We left a big loose ending that leaves question marks for the audience.”

Those who saw the movie — and judging by Netflix’s estimates a large chunk of the world embraced the fresh IP in a pandemic — the ending left open the opportunity for Rake to return. Several of the characters had past stories though, so there is flexibility if the film took the form of a prequel.

“There was always a simple drive to the story, a balletic execution of action where you take a damaged character who made an egregious mistake in the past and has a shot at redemption which might be fatal,” Joe Russo said. “What was key is that we needed a muscular action director like Sam to be the main creative force in the execution of the action.”

Russo said he expects Extraction director Sam Hargrave (a longtime collaborator with the Russos) to be back at the helm.

As for Hemsworth, there is no deal a this point. Russo said the focus will be to work out the story and then write the script and show it to him before that happens. It doesn’t seem like it will be a hard sell, based on the enthusiasm Hemsworth conveyed on social media this past weekend as he told his followers that the film garnered Netflix’s biggest opening day audience and that it is projected to be watched by 90 million households over the next four weeks. Hemsworth worked with Joe and Anthony Russo, and Hargrave, on Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

Extraction eclipsed Spenser Confidential (85 million), 6 Underground (83 million), Bird Box (80 million), and the Adam Sandler/Jennifer Aniston comedy Murder Mystery (73 million). Now, the Netflix metric changed and Extraction, Spenser Confidential and 6 Underground got views counted if homes watched for two minutes or more. The others were based on views of 70% or more.

Despite this, it is heady territory for the Russos and their AGBO banner. They are just one year removed from directing Avengers: Endgame and watching it become the biggest global box office grosser of all time with $2.79 billion. And they were consultants on the Jing Wu-directed Wolf Warrior 2, the biggest Chinese film ever. Among their recommendations was to have Hargrave direct second unit and the action scenes in the film, as well as bringing in Frank Grillo to the cast, among other things.

The Russos said they were grateful for the outpouring on Extraction from the likes of Marvel chief Kevin Feige, and the Avengers who were so happy for Hemsworth. They said they were also pleased with the diverse output in AGBO’s early going, as they move toward the release of the Sundance Midnight Section genre film Relic with IFC Midnight, and the Matthew Michael Carnahan-directed City of A Million Soldiers, and Cherry, the Tom Holland-starrer that is their first directing project at AGBO. There is a lot of pivoting in a pandemic, but the outsized successes of Avengers: Endgame and Extraction reinforced the belief under which they formed AGBO.

“It is clearly a shifting market and we have had a great experience with SVOD,” Russo said. “Everyone is going to have to take a moment see what the world is going to hold for the next few years, and make decisions based on what are the best ways to get audiences to see stories. [On Cherry] we’ll just base our decision on that. It doesn’t mean we’ve made a decision.”

Said Anthony Russo: “Our plan for that movie was always to finish it and then show it and figure out the best course of action. We’re still a couple months away from that and we’ll evaluate what to do with Cherry in July.”

Said Joe Russo: “The focus of AGBO was always storytelling that is agnostic in its approach to distribution. We’ve felt for a long time there was going to be a change in distribution and that the more flexible and organic AGBO could behave, the more opportunity would present itself for storytelling. The theory we have been operating under has been effective for us.”

The Russos believe the numbers on Extraction were helped by the decision to shoot in India, which they first visited during press tours on the Avengers films. When they hatched the Extraction idea 12 years ago, the intention was to set it in South America, something they changed when Triple Frontier came out. They settled on India.

“We were shocked we couldn’t think of a significant Western action film that had shot there, and the cultural elements just supercharged the storytelling,” Joe Russo said. “It was combustible and compelling to set it in an emerging market like that.”

https://deadline.com/2020/05/extract...ve-1202925594/
Old 05-05-20, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
re: Extraction 2 (2023, D: Hargrave) S: Hemsworth - Netflix

Works for me!
Old 05-05-20, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

We'll probably get this before the Bright sequel.
Old 05-05-20, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

You want a sequel to Bright?

Wonder if the sequel will be set in India or Southeast Asia again.
Old 05-05-20, 03:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

definitely in for a sequel, would love to see a prequel with the rest of the team getting more airtime

Old 05-05-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
You want a sequel to Bright?
It was announced 2 years ago.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...=#post13237865

And still nothing about if and when they release the Charlize movie The Old Guard.
Old 05-05-20, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The problem with these Netflix movies is Netflix sort of let's the production deal with itself, the most reliable person they've had on there is Adam Sandler.
Old 05-05-20, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
The problem with these Netflix movies is Netflix sort of let's the production deal with itself, the most reliable person they've had on there is Adam Sandler.
The problem is they have been bleeding money and now have to be picky about creating content with films and IP already in their pipeline. Views mean nothing since there's no box office return, so they depend on subscribers. And there's fewer and fewer new ones until they can roll out globally which they're slowly trying to do (or raise the subscription price again. But how to do that and remain competitive with the other streaming services?) The Sandler deal is good for both Sandler and Netflix because it's not as expensive as making eight 6 Underground and it keeps Adam happy because $60 million a film isn't bad for his comedies.
Old 05-05-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's true, their model is hugely flawed and will likely collapse spectacularly at some point.
Old 05-05-20, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

It's true, their model is hugely flawed and will likely collapse spectacularly at some point.
Agreed and that will suck. No doubt Universal / Comcast or Disney / ABC will be there to "pick them up".
Old 05-05-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

On track... isn't this IP based on a comic book? Did I read that he actually trains Ovi and they go on adventures together?
Old 05-05-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
On track... isn't this IP based on a comic book? Did I read that he actually trains Ovi and they go on adventures together?
Never read the comic but Ovi is a girl in that one and it takes place in Paraguay, I think.
Old 05-05-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I think the model works for successful shows, because House of Cards drew a lot of attention and kept subscribers. Hardly anyone will subscribe for an original movie. They can't brand a movie series like Marvel exclusively on Netflix.
For films they should copy Amazon's approach. Show them at the box office and stream them a few month later. This way they have new revenue and also new content for their subscribers and if successful they might attract new subscribers.
Old 09-25-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Not dead

Teaser

The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (09-25-21)
Old 09-25-21, 01:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So not a sequel to Mike Judge’s Extract.
The following users liked this post:
story (11-11-23)
Old 09-26-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I really liked the first one and welcome more cool action and such, but I can't shake the feeling that this pretty much lessens the impact of the first one's ending. I hope that this one doesn't take the same approach that First Blood 2 did to the original, but I have a feeling it will.
Old 09-26-21, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I really liked the first one and welcome more cool action and such, but I can't shake the feeling that this pretty much lessens the impact of the first one's ending. I hope that this one doesn't take the same approach that First Blood 2 did to the original, but I have a feeling it will.
The first one left the door open that he was still alive in the final shot. The door was just barely cracked open but it was still open.

I thought the first had some great action. I don’t really remember much of the plot, something about saving a kid, which is an action movie trope that is SOOO tired, but I remember liking the action/fight set pieces.
Old 09-26-21, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was implied pretty heavily that he was alive, imo, and tied in with his breathing exercises at the beginning.
Old 09-26-21, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was implied pretty heavily that he was alive, imo, and tied in with his breathing exercises at the beginning.

The somewhat blurry figure at the end was pretty much a giveaway that he was alive, but I like some ambiguity.

Somewhat off topic but mentioned earlier: is Netflix not yet a global thing? I thought they were already available in overseas areas.
Old 09-26-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

The somewhat blurry figure at the end was pretty much a giveaway that he was alive, but I like some ambiguity.

Somewhat off topic but mentioned earlier: is Netflix not yet a global thing? I thought they were already available in overseas areas.
Netflix is everywhere. They produce originals in Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe and Asia. The "Tudum" Netflix live stream yesterday showcased many of their new international projects.
Old 12-03-21, 01:07 PM

Old 12-03-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about the Hulk Hogan movie?
Old 12-03-21, 06:34 PM

What about the Hulk Hogan movie?
Put on hold due to COVID.
Old 12-03-21, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

The first was was fun but not great. It did, however, have some pretty kick-ass fight sequences. That’s enough to get me excited for this.
Old 07-26-22, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Will premiere sometime next year

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.